Seek Outside Silex reviews as a hot tent

Sioux33

FNG
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Silex, but torn between the ultralight as an early season tent or the regular with a stove to be used all fall. I'd love to hear any reviews from anyone that used it as a hot tent last fall. Especially late season in the snow and cold. How cold it was, how drafty it was, if you're going to continue using it late season, etc.

I already have a Cimmaron and stove, but would love to ditch the pole and save weight on late season solo hunts if this tent is up to it.

Thanks in advance.

Following... just ordered a dyneema silex... was wondering the same may order a nylon w/jack for same solo later season

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I have the regular with the stove, haven’t used it yet but it is light weight. Personally I would go with the stove option at just a few more oz, at this size of a shelter you aren’t gaining much reduction in weight..

Superdoo

WKR
I'd love to see some pics of a silex with a stove and gear in it. It seems like it would be roomy enough but I like my space! Especially if a stove is in there with me.

tdot

WKR
It's crazy big inside. I don't have any pics. But I bought this tarp expecting to have some extra space but was still surprised at just how much room is in the Silex. I switched from a Megatarp and I cant say there is a huge reduction in space.

Superdoo

WKR
I recently noticed that the Silex does not have a snow/ sod skirt. I wonder why that is. I know it can be pitched fairly tight to the ground, but the skirt would probably be better at keeping the snow swirls out...
@RockChucker30 ???

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well we believe skirts are for primarily hot tents but the do increase condensation a lot and add a little weight . With smaller shelters it’s pretty easy to get some extra protection if snow is a concern via either pitch location or natural features . We do more than just hot tents as well ... and while the silex is both we value it’s condensation reduction when being used as a regular old tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a pile of room with a stove. Just got this and burned in the stove (med Uturn). Can’t wait to get it in the hills this fall. I will say this tent handles wind extremely well. I had it pitched high to burn in the stove and there was a constant 25mph wind w some 40mph gusts and it was solid

Attachments

• 9AFDF136-B674-4CE1-9FA6-6CBCB2D714CC.jpeg
    9AFDF136-B674-4CE1-9FA6-6CBCB2D714CC.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 438
  • AAAE6F0C-C0BC-42D6-A145-AA1FCD8F0BC9.jpeg
    AAAE6F0C-C0BC-42D6-A145-AA1FCD8F0BC9.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 439
  • D15EE459-CDE7-43D3-A79F-C83F3C82FC12.jpeg
    D15EE459-CDE7-43D3-A79F-C83F3C82FC12.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 437

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There is a pile of room with a stove. Just got this and burned in the stove (med Uturn). Can’t wait to get it in the hills this fall. I will say this tent handles wind extremely well. I had it pitched high to burn in the stove and there was a constant 25mph wind w some 40mph gusts and it was solid
That has been my experience as well .. it was pretty easy ride in 30 plus

mmw194287

WKR
Kevin,
Wondering if there is there a reason why the stovejack is offered in the Silex and not the Eolus? I've been looking at both and was just curious--seems like the larger footprint might be nice with a stove and wood. Thanks!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kevin,
Wondering if there is there a reason why the stovejack is offered in the Silex and not the Eolus? I've been looking at both and was just curious--seems like the larger footprint might be nice with a stove and wood. Thanks!

We were intending to offer it in the Eolus last year and just got too busy to get it added. This year we may add it ... the current environment is making things a little more difficult to get things added. We do have a shelter in development (Guardian) that sort of blends them but is larger (80 sq ft) that will do 2 and a stove. However, right now, a lot of stuff is up in the air. I will find out more in the coming days.

Superdoo

WKR
We were intending to offer it in the Eolus last year and just got too busy to get it added. This year we may add it ... the current environment is making things a little more difficult to get things added. We do have a shelter in development (Guardian) that sort of blends them but is larger (80 sq ft) that will do 2 and a stove. However, right now, a lot of stuff is up in the air. I will find out more in the coming days.

images.jpg

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kevin,

Eolus door angle is steeper than the Silex, so if you put a jack in the door the pipe would be close to the fabric / cone above it. We haven't been comfortable with that clearance distance as of yet so have done more testing. In the Eolus the best place for a jack is in the tent body inboard of one of the poles, but that would probably make it a 1 person hot tent (which the Silex covers).

Plus we've been working on the Guardian, which would make for a nice very light 2P hot tent.

So a combination of reasons really.

I picked up the silex with the stove jack. I went back and forth if I wanted it with the stove jack or not but figured for the extra few ounces it was worth having it put on. If I had to do it over again I would not have only because I have the cimmeron with a stove jack and would rarely winter hike without a second person to split the weight so I feel like I would have been covered for a winter tent. Because I can move around in the cimmeron and the size it makes for a better winter tent setup even though you add the weight. The silex’s biggest stove would be a medium you wouldn’t be doing much more than sleeping in it because with the stove your stuck in one spot. I feel like the added weight of the stove and this size tent would have served better without it and a heavier sleeping bag... but I have it now and don’t regret it. It’s an awesome little tent. I will just cut my toothbrush down further to make up for the weight penalty.