Seek Outside Silex vs Free Standing shelter?

I’m looking to buy a solo shelter for backpack hunts and am really leaning towards the silex. It’s light, large for a solo shelter, can have a nest, and can accept a stove. However, it still seems like people choose a free standing shelter most of the time. Can anyone point me to any advantage the free standing shelter would have over a Silex? I’ll add that I’m just looking for a shelter that will have me covered in most places. I live in PA and most of my use will be here but I want a shelter that will have be covered for when I do western trips. Thanks!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Owner of Seek Outside here , and I'll try to be super objective. Other than comfort level with having used freestanding , or certain location that are extremely rocky or sandy I see little benefit to the freestanding over a Silex. Some have slightly smaller footprints, but not much. A 2 person Hubba has roughly the same footprint as the Silex.

mlgc20

WKR
IMO, I wouldn't even consider whether the tent is free standing or not. Find a shelter that works and meets your needs. But, I wouldn't let the freestanding part have any impact on the decision. I have plenty of tents freestanding, semi-freestanding, and not freestanding. They all serve a purpose. But, not because they are or aren't freestanding. If the Silex meets your needs, I'd pull the trigger.