Seek Outside Silex

mntnguide

WKR
What size stove pipe will be best and where will the stove Jack be located in terms of where you sleep and where the stove will be?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Rockchucker, that's a great summary of it's use.

I've used an LBO/vestibule for solo use the last two years. During archery, I usually leave the vestibule unzipped. I was told the Silex will feel/be the same space on the inside as they LBO/vestibule. Is that your feeling as well?

That's tough... I've done two in a LBO/vest without a stove comfortably, 2 would be a squeeze in a Silex. But for solo use the Silex feels large.

The twin pole makes a huge difference in headroom, so interior space is more constant vs the sloping walls of single pole tents. So while it's a foot or so shorter, usable headroom for sitting is likely the same or maybe a touch better.

Ill put it this way, the Silex IS smaller, but for solo use it doesn't really FEEL smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What size stove pipe will be best and where will the stove Jack be located in terms of where you sleep and where the stove will be?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ours are 3 1/8" diameter but you can run a smaller pipe in the jacks if needed. 5' pipe should be plenty and you could likely get by with less depending on height of stove.

Jacks will be in one of the doors / vestibule. So from sleeping spot stove would be beside you, slightly outboard and to one side of the pole.

Ironman8

WKR
I like the looks of both the Silex and Eolus, so my question is what makes the Silex so much better for solo use when the Eolus is only 1-2oz heavier but has more room?

If you’re an extreme ounce counter, then great, shave that 1-2 ounces, but what am I missing besides weight? I’ve read this whole thread and still can’t figure it out.

ETA: My use for either shelter would be for early season elk hunts with the possibility of bivy hunting. No stove needed as I would go with a larger shelter for that.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
location, location, location.
The Silex has a much smaller footprint which is very helpful when your trying to find a flat spot along some mountain side where real estate is a premium. Many a time I wished for a smaller tent then my Silvertip when I was tired and worn out to find out I had to walk an additional couple miles to set up.

parshal

WKR
Ironman, that was my question, too. I went with the Silex because it pitches closer to the ground reducing drafts in cold conditions. Also, it's a smaller footprint closer to the LBO whereas the Eolus is a bit larger. Where I use my LBO it's a tight space to pitch.

Ironman8

WKR
location, location, location.
The Silex has a much smaller footprint which is very helpful when your trying to find a flat spot along some mountain side where real estate is a premium. Many a time I wished for a smaller tent then my Silvertip when I was tired and worn out to find out I had to walk an additional couple miles to set up.

This brings up a good question...IF you can’t find the floor space to fit the silex but do have a flat enough space for a pad/bag, how well does either tent pitch on uneven ground? Does everything need to be perfect to have a tight pitch?

Ironman8

WKR
Ironman, that was my question, too. I went with the Silex because it pitches closer to the ground reducing drafts in cold conditions. Also, it's a smaller footprint closer to the LBO whereas the Eolus is a bit larger. Where I use my LBO it's a tight space to pitch.

I’d be interested in your thoughts when you get it. Especially in reference to the LBO. I used to own one and was thinking about going back to it and using just the base + UL bivy for solo early season run ‘n gun elk.

Have you tried this configuration?

9E2A3BDE-429F-4FB7-BA24-35749274C313.jpeg

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This brings up a good question...IF you can’t find the floor space to fit the silex but do have a flat enough space for a pad/bag, how well does either tent pitch on uneven ground? Does everything need to be perfect to have a tight pitch?

They do pretty well because of the line locs . You can also string them between trees or as Nathan has done with the silex pitch it with a one ounce hammock suspension so you don’t even have poles in it.

Silex footprint is close to LBO base ... Eolus is close to LBO base and vestibule . Part of the Silex design was to be very efficient and roomy when real estate is a premium

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like the looks of both the Silex and Eolus, so my question is what makes the Silex so much better for solo use when the Eolus is only 1-2oz heavier but has more room?

If you’re an extreme ounce counter, then great, shave that 1-2 ounces, but what am I missing besides weight? I’ve read this whole thread and still can’t figure it out.

ETA: My use for either shelter would be for early season elk hunts with the possibility of bivy hunting. No stove needed as I would go with a larger shelter for that.

The big difference in usability between the two is the height of the door opening. The door anchors on the Silex are behind the pole while on the Eolus they are parallel with the pole, meaning the Silex door opens taller. The difference isn't much, but it is the difference between squatting on my heels to get in the Silex and usually going to my knees to get in the Eolus.

The taller door is faster to get in and out of when entering/exiting during heavy rain...that's when I've noticed the difference most, during heavy rain.

The Silex also has more "reachable" room, which means no scooting around inside the shelter to get to gear or get to the other door. You can reach basically everything just by leaning over.

That said, I'll likely be running an Eolus over the next few years because I've got young kids. Summer backpacking trips are likely to be at least two people and the Eolus nest is a great size for that. Then I can run it floorless for backpack hunting trips.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you guys have any dimensions and pictures for the nest? I didn't see anything in the site.

61f128df8dd7ef90447ca72ff27a5f83.jpg
10453b26b7be4b5ccc0c3b00d402793b.jpg

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Home run Kevin.

Could you explain the reasoning behind no peak vents please. Also, will the nest be available to purchase separately?

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Home run Kevin.

Could you explain the reasoning behind no peak vents please. Also, will the nest be available to purchase separately?

Yes nest will be available separately.

Apex vents weren't needed. In my testing it handles condensation extremely well when pitched with 130-140 cm poles.

Question for either Nathan or Kevin, how does the Eolus compare to the Silex in regards to storm protection in heavy winds? Also, do you feel that both can be pitched to allow adequate ventilation, during heavy condensation conditions, without a peak vent?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Both handle wind / rain / storms well . The Eolus will have more natural breeze due to the kick up on the vestibules and the Eolus is a very dry ride as Nathan called it in testing . That being said the Silex will do a better job blocking the breeze . With the Eolus the nest provides some of the breeze blocking ... although in reality the kick up on vestibule can easily be blocked via natural terrain features if desired ( willow bush , log , rock )

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Question for either Nathan or Kevin, how does the Eolus compare to the Silex in regards to storm protection in heavy winds? Also, do you feel that both can be pitched to allow adequate ventilation, during heavy condensation conditions, without a peak vent?

Forgot to include the zipperless doors do not need to be all up or down either they can be left partially open

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Really like the looks of this shelter. I've been a long time Tarptent Notch fan, with my only real complaint being the packed size due to the end struts. While the Silex might have a little less usable floorspace(head room and toe room) on the main diagonal due to the lack of the end struts, the trade off of being able to pack it down into a ball is very appealing. Well done!