Seek Outside Silex

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll make a point of getting some. We haven't done any because we don't like "canned" pictures. Natural use organic stuff is just more honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
I do appreciate the "in use" style photos you guys use. It's just a timing issue, by waiting until it's cool enough for your field testers to use a stove, I probably won't be able to order and receive one in time for my use this season.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do appreciate the "in use" style photos you guys use. It's just a timing issue, by waiting until it's cool enough for your field testers to use a stove, I probably won't be able to order and receive one in time for my use this season.

There is one that has been out and in NZ but We just don’t have interior photos . We should have another shortly and get photos or at least a sample photo .

HookUp

WKR
If I call and add a stove jack to my silex would it be a modification to my current order or would i need to cancel and re-order? I'm concerned on shipping times being so close to September so i went without the stove jack.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Call the shop, it'd be a modification. Not a huge deal.

parshal

WKR
So, I received my Silex today. RockChucker, would you know why it comes with two shepherd type stakes in addition to the four MSR type stakes?

parshal

WKR
So, for those looking to compare the Silex to LBO, here's a pic. Left is the Silex with no stove jack. Center is the LBO/annex with stove jack. On the right is the LBO connecting tarp. I'll get comparison weights soon.

I managed to get the Silex pitched just before the rain hit. I was able to step (crouch?) through the door before I took it down due to the rain. It seemed smaller than the LBO but I haven't pitched the LBO in quite a while. I'll try to get a side-by-side at some point. The Silex definitely has enough room for me and all my gear. I usually have my stuff spread out everywhere and this will work fine for that. I wouldn't want to try to get two people in there, though.

silexlbo.jpg

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, That looks like a good size and probable weight savings. I'm pumped!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So, I received my Silex today. RockChucker, would you know why it comes with two shepherd type stakes in addition to the four MSR type stakes?
We position this as a lightweight shelter and consider the 4 main stake out points as sufficient for most cases, we supply the two titanium for guy out, or the center panel tie outs on a non opening side if you desire.

HookUp

WKR
Mine arrives tomorrow! Cant wait to pitch it next to my LBO and have a shelter contest to see which one I take this fall.

parshal

WKR
Any tips on pitching the Silex?

I'm not sure when/if I should be tightening the guyout on the doors. If I open the door(s) the tightness of the pitch changes and I need to adjust things.

I realized today that my trekking poles only go to 125cm and I'm guessing that's not ideal for a good pitch.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any tips on pitching the Silex?

I'm not sure when/if I should be tightening the guyout on the doors. If I open the door(s) the tightness of the pitch changes and I need to adjust things.

I realized today that my trekking poles only go to 125cm and I'm guessing that's not ideal for a good pitch.
120 should work fine and we have tested it, but we do most at 130 mm for sample set up etc.

It should be super super simple, so simple in fact that we collectively decided it did not need instructions. However, I am not going to rule out that we messed something up in configuration or what not. Just send an info and a couple photos to our info address, and I will take a look and give advice. In all likely hood, it's a simple fix.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I imagine that it is. I'm apparently super slow. LOL
I'll post some written instructions here:

1. Set the distance of the stake out points where 3 seams come together. Set those at 10'6" gross grain to gross grain loop .. the stake outs will be a little longer because of the line locs and cordage

2. Set your poles to 125 or 130, we use 130 for most examples but it can go down to 120

3. Set the 2 opening stakes, it should be a slight diamond. (About 10 ft from stake to stake on the door )

4. You may need to tension the cordage at the top via the line loc. Ideally, the stake out loop ends at the 2 line locs on the bottom, thus tension the top a hair may be needed. This is really a one time thing

That is it. Don't over tension initially, just set them and then tighten the line locs.

Hi Kevin, I don’t intend this to be a smart ass comment, but how do you determine 10’6” in the backcountry?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi Kevin, I don’t intend this to be a smart ass comment, but how do you determine 10’6” in the backcountry?

The easy way would be with cordage the doubles as a guy out .. however once you get the hang it is super simple. If you run a nest connected it will keep the correct distances. I was giving 10'6 to help out on the first pitch. It is different than most of our shelters to pitch and it is easier once you get the hang.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
You guys that are starting to get them, post up some real world photos. I have been holding out to see what the in hand thoughts are.

I'll post some written instructions here:

1. Set the distance of the stake out points where 3 seams come together. Set those at 10'6" gross grain to gross grain loop .. the stake outs will be a little longer because of the line locs and cordage

2. Set your poles to 125 or 130, we use 130 for most examples but it can go down to 120

3. Set the 2 opening stakes, it should be a slight diamond. (About 10 ft from stake to stake on the door )

4. You may need to tension the cordage at the top via the line loc. Ideally, the stake out loop ends at the 2 line locs on the bottom, thus tension the top a hair may be needed. This is really a one time thing

That is it. Don't over tension initially, just set them and then tighten the line locs.
Thanks Kevin, any chance you could do a basic pitching video on this one? Mine just arrived and as usual superb quality. This silex packs up small and light!