Seek Outside Silex

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pitching the Silex, I start with one of the triple seam corners and stake it.

Then I stake one of the doors.

Then I go opposite and stake the other door. This forms a 90 degree corner which is easy to eyeball. The finished angle will be just under 90 from triple Seam corner to doors, so it's ok to start out barely under 90 but make sure it isn't over 90.

Then I stake the far triple Seam corner and put in the poles, then tension stake lines and adjust stakes in or out if needed.

Some Keys:
1. Door diagonal will be 6" shorter than long diagonal, so if you have tension issues look here first

2. Important not to have the door stakes too far away from doors. If you have a bell shape to the door the stake is probably too far out. The cordage length can be adjusted with linelocs at the cones.

3. Slack in the center Seam across the door can be tensioned with the door cordage on the cones as well.

4. Have slack in the stake lines when you're pegging stakes. I usually forget to loosen the lines and have to do some tweaking.

Overall the Silex may be the easiest to pitch tent we make. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

clbrown23

Lil-Rokslider
Got my sil Silex today, set it up quickly as per Rockchucker's instructions. Pretty roomy inside head room and gear wise. Here are some pictures. For reference that's a 77" x 25" pad.

Attachments

• IMG_20190812_183213735.jpg
    IMG_20190812_183213735.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20190812_183159811.jpg
    IMG_20190812_183159811.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_20190812_183526117.jpg
    IMG_20190812_183526117.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_20190812_183353689.jpg
    IMG_20190812_183353689.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_20190812_183447954.jpg
    IMG_20190812_183447954.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20190812_183452123.jpg
    IMG_20190812_183452123.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 322
  • 15656570862221776171606402064755.jpg
    15656570862221776171606402064755.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 324

clbrown23

Lil-Rokslider
that weight is for the shelter and cordage just for the 4 main corners not seam sealed and no stakes

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pretty good pitch. Wonder what the neighbors think?

Probably the same that mine think when they drive by and see four tipis pitched in the yard.....

clbrown23

Lil-Rokslider
lol. yea that might get you more strange looks than me. The pitch did seem pretty decent. I did notice that the triple seem panels weren't quite taught and had some play in the breeze. especially near the top and between the trekking poles. Suggestions to help get that out?

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
lol. yea that might get you more strange looks than me. The pitch did seem pretty decent. I did notice that the triple seem panels weren't quite taught and had some play in the breeze. especially near the top and between the trekking poles. Suggestions to help get that out?
Tension the top line locs. I had the same problem with mine. Kevin informed me to tension the top line locs. He mentioned that you should only have to do that the one time.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had to shorten the door cordage on mine because I tightened it up so much. I had a long tag end at the cones that I tidied up.

The two places to look for tension issues are the diagonals first. The triple Seam diagonal will run about 127" in silnylon. The door diagonal will be about 121".

If you've got that and the top seam has slack then tighten the door cordage at the cones.

Like Kevin said once the cordage is adjusted its kind of a set it and forget it thing.

Well I've been messing with mine for a couple days. Seamed sealed it, tried different heights, played with my sleep system inside it and such. My thoughts: don't think there could be a simpler 1 person shelter to pitch. It's got plenty of room for one person and their multi day trip gear. Has tremendous head room inside for what it is. SUPER light and compact in it's storage sack, and I only have the sylnylon one. Great ventilation when pitched high. The door system works great with the line locks on either end, stays put even in high winds which we had last night. I cannot find a thing on this that they didn't get right. Really looking forward to using it hard this fall for a two week bivy hunt. Great Job SO!

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to getting mine soon! Wish I had it for this weekends backpacking hunt.

clbrown23

Lil-Rokslider
I have played with mine a bit and I still can get it drum tight. If I pull to much on the lineloc at the cone (trying to get the panels tight near the ridge) then the door seems get slack. It's probably something I'm not doing correct but I am struggling to get tightness all around

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Send us a photo to our contact / info address and we can help troubleshoot . It’s really super super simple once you get the hang of it .. or try rockchuckers method up above

Ratbeetle

WKR
I have my silex now. Seam sealing it this week and then heading out for 9ish days in the mountains chasing bighorns. Can't wait to see how this shelter holds up.

Just got my dcf silex. I initially had some issues with the pitch because I didn’t realize the dcf version has a slightly smaller geometry but Kevin got me all sorted out. Ready for CO goat next week

b4923baa67cebe73e9156910e679d744.jpg

a63520a9d317cb2ce65983740edfdc9a.jpg

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Set up my silex today. Looks just about PERFECT for what I need. It was very easy and fast to set up. The walls can be pitched nice and tight. Seems very worthy of strong winds. The zipperless doors work well and are simple. Nice to be able to open both doors and have tons of draft if you want to lay down and not get hot in a stuffy tent. I really like the way the trekking poles support the silex. It leaves you with lots of living space and gives you tons of headroom. It feels bigger than its footprint shows. It’s like a solo palace. Got mine with a stove jack. I can definitely see myself using it in just about any weather conditions I will come across. Now I gotta get it up in the mountains.

Good job Seek Outside!

Ratbeetle

WKR
Set up my silex today. Looks just about PERFECT for what I need. It was very easy and fast to set up. The walls can be pitched nice and tight. Seems very worthy of strong winds. The zipperless doors work well and are simple. Nice to be able to open both doors and have tons of draft if you want to lay down and not get hot in a stuffy tent. I really like the way the trekking poles support the silex. It leaves you with lots of living space and gives you tons of headroom. It feels bigger than its footprint shows. It’s like a solo palace. Got mine with a stove jack. I can definitely see myself using it in just about any weather conditions I will come across. Now I gotta get it up in the mountains.

Good job Seek Outside!

I got the stove jack in mine also. I'm new to floorless shelters and hot tents so I'm sure it's just a problem with my pitch, but it seems like the stove pipe is going to be awfully close to a trekking pole. Did you notice that or am I just all screwed up?
@Kevin_t

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got the stove jack in mine also. I'm new to floorless shelters and hot tents so I'm sure it's just a problem with my pitch, but it seems like the stove pipe is going to be awfully close to a trekking pole. Did you notice that or am I just all screwed up?
@Kevin_t

Well, you only have so much space. Typically in many of tents the stove and poles are only a few inches a part. The silex should be a few inches from the apex, and it is likely you are angling your pole outward a tiny bit.

Also of note, the heat dissipates pretty quickly away from the stove pipe.

Also there is an assumption people are going to be using stoves on the smaller side with this shelter. It won't take much to heat

Ratbeetle

WKR
Well, you only have so much space. Typically in many of tents the stove and poles are only a few inches a part. The silex should be a few inches from the apex, and it is likely you are angling your pole outward a tiny bit.

Also of note, the heat dissipates pretty quickly away from the stove pipe.

Also there is an assumption people are going to be using stoves on the smaller side with this shelter. It won't take much to heat

Sure, just wondering if it would be too close to a carbon pole. I'm sure I can adjust a bit with my pitch also.