Seek Outside Silex

Got mine last week and it is sweet! Very easy to setup and once you do it a few times the pitch is very easy to get I also went with the stove jack - I think this will be great for run and gun deer in the ADKs.

One question tho - I have a large stove I use with my 4 man tipi, will that be just wayyy too big to run in this? I grabbed a smaller stove pipe for the Silex (5 foot) with my thought being I could just run the same stove and maybe not get the fire quite as ripping as I would in the 4 man? Will it be a problem?

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No you’ll be fine. We ran a Big Mama in a DCF Redcliff last year. When it gets too hot just open a door and let some heat out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my Silex delivered this evening. Gotta practice setting it up before I leave for my elk hunt next week.

Thank you sir, I hope the pics were helpful. I'll be breaking in this setup end of next week in MT (general elk tag). The Daks will be seeing a lot of time come late Oct/Nov, should get to test her snow worthiness

clbrown23

Lil-Rokslider
Just used mine for a four day elk archery opener here in Wyoming, while I did have a few hiccups setting it up and getting the triple seem panels taught I,be cleaned up my pitch and it pitched pretty nicely on my trip. Conditions were supper mild with just a few gusty winds but it handled that fine with minor flap (the one night there were a few gusty winds and the flap of the triple seem panels that I can't get fully tight did flap a little, enough it woke me up in the night so I threw my ear plugs in). I can say I am digging the head room and interior space it gives. I should have taken a few interior shots but spaced it I will post some others when I get a chance. All in all I really liked it and enjoyed it.

Received my Silex today and really like it. Set up quickly and looks like a great solo plus gear shelter.

I have 4 red groundhog like stakes and 2 UL Shepard hook stakes with mine. Is that what you guys received? Where are you using the 2 Shepard hooks?

24785d675e00e6859f8fef34103ea23e.jpg
1ebff15c44063193eac0995be895abb1.jpg

Ratbeetle

WKR
Received my Silex today and really like it. Set up quickly and looks like a great solo plus gear shelter.

I have 4 red groundhog like stakes and 2 UL Shepard hook stakes with mine. Is that what you guys received? Where are you using the 2 Shepard hooks?

24785d675e00e6859f8fef34103ea23e.jpg
1ebff15c44063193eac0995be895abb1.jpg

Same as what I received. I had mine out last week and after 16 hours of chasing sheep, the only place I could find to pitch was in a deer bed on the side of a steep slope. The location was not ideal and I couldn't get the best pitch. I ended up using the shepherd hooks on either side of the upwind door to help get tighter to the ground and keep the wind out.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hook stakes are extras to stake out a door or for a guyline. Use them or not depending on conditions.

jorken

FNG
Just got my dcf silex. I initially had some issues with the pitch because I didn’t realize the dcf version has a slightly smaller geometry but Kevin got me all sorted out. Ready for CO goat next week

b4923baa67cebe73e9156910e679d744.jpg

a63520a9d317cb2ce65983740edfdc9a.jpg

What are the geometry differences on the DCF version? Product specs on the website doesn't list anything different...

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Post #89 has the measurements on a sketchup. DCF footprint is slightly smaller due to narrower standard fabric roll width.