Seek Outside Silex

Thanks Kevin, I absolutely luv mine and the ease of pitching is one of the reasons why.

KyleR1985

WKR
Mine shipped yesterday. I'm looking forward to setting it up.

Does anyone who's received it yet use a bug bivvy or something similar (not the nest that is made for the silex)?

I have the EE Bivvy, and am curious how I'll hook it up inside this thing. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've slept in mine with a bug bivy a few times. I used some cordage to rig a dryline between the two poles up at the apex, then used a mini carabiner to hook the shockcord from the bivy to. That got it off my face nicely, and it's easy to reach.

That dryline is ideal for socks, clothes, or to hang a light.

KyleR1985

WKR
I've slept in mine with a bug bivy a few times. I used some cordage to rig a dryline between the two poles up at the apex, then used a mini carabiner to hook the shockcord from the bivy to. That got it off my face nicely, and it's easy to reach.

That dryline is ideal for socks, clothes, or to hang a light.

Good idea on the dry line. Can’t wait to give it a run

Ratbeetle

WKR
I've had my Silex out numerous times now on sheep, mule deer and elk hunts. I have to say that I'm very pleased, SO did a great job on this little shelter.

Set up camp this weekend on a little ridge just shy of 11k feet. Right about dusk a decent storm came through dumping rain and then heavy sleet on me for about an hour. Shelter shrugged it off like it was nothing. I got a break just long enough to make some dinner before the rain set in again. It rained solid for most of night and the temps dropped into the upper 30s.

I had originally started off pitched with 130cm poles but shortened to 125cm and added a couple stakes to the upwind door when the rain and wind really started. When I woke up there was a bit of condensation, mainly above my face where I had been exhaling all night, but the ground was still dry and nothing was dripping at all. Pretty impressive considering the moisture, cold temps and also that I was pitched fairly tight to the ground on one side.

I cant wait to get a stove and run this thing as a hot tent.

KyleR1985

WKR
Pretty excited to use this thing when it’s less than 75 degrees at night here!

Pitches really easy, took about five minutes the first go around, and now I can do it in a minute or two.

I tossed my EE bivvy inside to see how it’s going to work. Plenty of room, and I can tie up the ends to the loops on inside of the silex. Like @RockChucker30 suggested, I’ll rig up a dry line between poles, and add cordage from it to one of the zipper pulls to hold up the middle of the bivvy.

Only got one quick picture, for reference that’s the long wide EE bivvy(87” long)

16C34E1F-28A4-4373-8125-A6FB48DE7270.jpeg

Last edited:

parshal

WKR
If anyone is looking for carbon poles to use with the Silex instead of trekking poles I received two poles from SO today. Much smaller than their other poles. Pretty nice. 7.4 oz. on my postal scale. I may carry one pole so I can have one trekking pole with me all the time.

Attachments

• poles.jpg
    poles.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 187
OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

tdot

WKR
Section Hiker just posted a detailed more long term review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed that review mentions that you can use a stove in the Silex. I haven't seen that listed on the SO site. Is that correct? I'm only interested in the DCF tent.

I see elsewhere in this thread there are pics of the hot tents. Can it be added to the DCF version?

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Only on the nylon versions at the moment is a stove available

HookUp

WKR
I did 7 days in the back country and really liked mine. I moved camp chasing elk and the shelter was so quick to take down and redeploy. I will have a stove jack put in, this one is a keeper for my solo trips.

tdhanses

WKR
Not sure how I missed this but just found it today after taking the web survey. Order placed.

tdot

WKR
Only on the nylon versions at the moment is a stove available

Any update on a DCF version with a stove jack?

Thinking that and a UTurn cub :) would be a pretty sweet solo setup!!

I've scoured the net looking for a comparison of the packed size of the DCF vs the Silnylon version of both the Silex and the Cimmaron. Is there a picture somewhere?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any update on a DCF version with a stove jack?

Thinking that and a UTurn cub :) would be a pretty sweet solo setup!!

I've scoured the net looking for a comparison of the packed size of the DCF vs the Silnylon version of both the Silex and the Cimmaron. Is there a picture somewhere?
No update as of yet. It would be a sweet setup .

DCF can pack small but takes more work. Fold and roll and I can get a Cimarron in the same stuff sack as the Sil ones. It is just that it takes 3 -4 minutes and a process