Seek Outside Silex

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We're releasing the Silex today.

17 oz in silnylon, around 12 in dyneema. Pitches with two trekking poles. Requires four stakes. Can run this floorless or with a nest as a doublewall tent.

The Silex is one of our zipperless tents, similar to the Eolus. Major difference is it pitches tighter to the ground and the door opens taller. Eolus is better for two people. Door angle on Silex plus the tight to ground pitch allows for good hot tent usage.

This class of shelter gets into an interesting space.....it's as light as a DST, but offers much better storm protection (though less flexible in pitch than a DST), but also competes with a more dedicated solo tent.

Silex Ultralight Hunting Tent

I was recently looking around for something exactly like this. I like single person floorless in silnylon, room for 2 in an emergency, side entry, and can buck some wind. I had a BPWD La Garita 1 that I sold because I hated getting in and out from the top. Was looking at the Jimmy Tarp Granite Mountain w/ vestibule but passed because of the silpoly, wanted something more stout. Ended up with a Eolus bought used here which I think will suit me better with a little more room, but this thing looks sweet indeed.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Jack in one of the doors. Stove jacks offered in silnylon versions only. Tolerances are a little tight for dyneema with its lower melting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
How about dimensions when pitched? Length, width etc? I see 50" height but nothing else

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

parshal

WKR
It appears to have the same or slightly more usable space compared to an LBO with vestibule.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Really like the design as a one person shelter. Looks like good height and space for the weight with a stove jack option. The zipperless doors looks like a smart idea and can really let the air flow in with both doors open.

As long as there is enough room for one guy, gear, wood and stove to be fairly comfortable, I think it’s pretty stellar.

parshal

WKR
I ordered one without the stove jack. I have an LBO which I use when it's just me. I'm hoping this provides similar interior dimensions at less weight. I'm not keen on the lower height but I want to see it in person and compare it to the LBO. I like the zipperless doors, too.

I have a Redcliff with a stove jack that I'd use if I were going in when inclement weather was expected and I'd plan on staying in the shelter for extended periods.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Both do very well really . The silex pitches closer to the ground than the eolus . The eolus has the slight raised sides to minimize condensation and when coupled with its nest breeze is a non issue . The silex is a little less breezy and does really well in the wind as well .

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys have any dimensions and pictures for the nest? I didn't see anything in the site.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Likely have photos end of this week early next . Dimensions are really sort of deceiving because it will be on the diagonal . In general 9’6 length and 48 wide at widest but it’s shaped so more like 7 ft for a pad and then some extra space at ends and in center

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is the silex supposed to be more storm worthy than the eolus?
I'll second what Kevin said but also add this - the Eolus handles condensation better than any tent I've ever tested. Either one will handle very high winds, and the Silex would be my choice for cold weather.

parshal

WKR
The dimensions are a bit deceiving. The big question I have is the setup space. When looking for a space to set up a Silex or an Eolus, how much difference is necessary? It would seem the Eolus might be about the same space requirements as the Cimarron.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t find anything I don’t like about the silex. Ability to use a stove is a big plus for me. Good stuff!