Seek Outside Silex

Mudd Foot

WKR
Just ordered a Silex in sage green. Have done a ton of research into weight vs footprint size. If this performs close to that of the Redcliff then the Silex is going to be a game changer. We hike in 5 miles, and the weight savings is pretty dramatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12thMan

FNG
Has anyone had the Silex out in snowy conditions yet? I’m trying to decide between the Silex and Silvertip and I’m leaning towards the Silex. I don’t expect to do a lot of heavy snow camping considering I’m in the Mid-Atlantic, but I would like a tent that can handle snow loads should I decide to make a winter trek farther north.

I got the Silex with a stove jack and Cub stove for Christmas this year. Finally set it up today and burned in
the stove in my back yard. Seems real nice, pretty simple to set up. I was amazed how much heat the little
cub stove put out once it got going, the only pain was getting the stovepipe over the spark arrestor/damper.
I think it is going to work great for my solo back country mule deer hunts in October.QefBriqdSQOB49oOdgd3hg.jpgCW8v40B8Q5CmNyA9Bo8jWQ.jpgwEfHC9s5SiGQ26Co5hFAaQ.jpg

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
the only pain was getting the stovepipe over the spark arrestor/damper.

Slide the bottom one or two pipe rings up and it'll let you expand the bottom of the pipe to slip it over the damper. Then pull the bottom ring down and it'll clamp down on the damper.

KyleR1985

WKR
I finally got a handful of nights in the silex. I used the EE recon bivvy and 20* quilt. A couple things I learned from using a floorless shelter for the first time.

A ground sheet the size of the bivvy is great for protecting the bivvy/pad, but then you're putting your gear directly on the ground. This is fine when everything is dry. If there's a rain, this leaves a bit to be desired.

It's a little bigger footprint than one person truly needs if you're trying to stay compact. This can be an issue if you don't have a ton of flat ground to work with. I'm sure a big part of this is my inexperience. And the covered area is nice when needed. Be prepared to look for more space than just what your pad takes up if you want a good pitch.

I'm not sure if the darker color option is any different, but I had a full moon and the sage green was like being in a room with the lights on all night. If the darker blocks out more light - get that color!

I'm saving about 12 ounces over the nest using the bivvy. But, it comes with a couple drawbacks. If I want to be out of the bivvy, but under the shelter, I don't have protection from bugs. If it's above 55 degrees or so down south, that's a problem. The other issue is changing weather conditions. I saw a three night stretch that went from below freezing the first night, mid 40's the second, and mid 50's the third. The quilt in the bivvy was perfect the first night, I woke up sweating the second, needing to shed long undies, and the third I was way too hot. There isn't really enough room to just work the quilt to the side or under me when I get warm in the bivvy. I ultimately stowed the quilt, and slept in long undies and my wool jacket over me and was comfortable. This led me to buy a wool blanket for when I know temps will be above 55+. Now I just have to figure out how to manage such a range of temps. I may try a different bivvy that is just mesh above the bathtub floor, with no solid sides or footbox.

If I were to use the nest though, I'm back to the weight of a regular tent, and that would make more sense being that the entire space is bug free. Ultimately, I like the shelter, I just need to do some tweaking, and get more experience under my belt.

The ease of use, no zippers, weight, and useable space once pitched are all tough to beat though. One thing I'd recommend is making loops out of cordage tied next to the cordlocks. This will allow you to get a full size stake in there, and still pitch tight to the ground. Getting a little height is good for ventilation, but on a colder or windier night, it's nice to get one end of the shelter tight to the ground.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With the Silex I prefer to run it floorless without a nest in cool/cold weather. I might throw in a light DWR bivy IF I were trying to take a quilt to or below its' temp rating, but probably not.

I'd use a bug bivy if going light and buggy, but the nest is really nice for warm buggy weather. With the nest it is closer to a tent weight, but at that point it IS a standard doublewall tent, though likely better built.

Thinking about picking up the silex and possibly pairing with the nest or a bug bivy. I see you can’t run a stove at the same time as using the nest. Any reason you would ever need a bivy protection while running a stove? When it’s time to run the stove is there no need for bivy or nest?

tdot

WKR
Thinking about picking up the silex and possibly pairing with the nest or a bug bivy. I see you can’t run a stove at the same time as using the nest. Any reason you would ever need a bivy protection while running a stove? When it’s time to run the stove is there no need for bivy or nest?

It sorta depends on why you are running a stove. If its below freezing and you are trying to stay warm, then bugs are unlikely. However if you are in wet areas, and trying to dry gear off and add comfort. Then there may be bugs out.

Aharmsen

FNG
Any information out there on how to pitch the silex lower to the ground on doors? seems like if I shorten the strings so the "zipper" is closer to the stake then it has extra fabric in the door panel. seems like getting the door ends closer than 4" or so to the ground might be tough.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any information out there on how to pitch the silex lower to the ground on doors? seems like if I shorten the strings so the "zipper" is closer to the stake then it has extra fabric in the door panel. seems like getting the door ends closer than 4" or so to the ground might be tough.
Pretty easy shrink the tie out loops and lower the trekking poles.

KyleR1985

WKR
Pretty easy shrink the tie out loops and lower the trekking poles.

Yup - it's pretty easy. And if you have wind/rain coming in one direction, stake out one door side tight to ground into the wind using all the stake loops. Use the downwind side for entry and exit.

I like this shelter the more I use it.

One more question before making a decision.......how is the height measured?

Sounds like a lot of the specs are based on a pitch with 130cm poles. Is the advertised 50” height from ground to exterior top of peak above a pole set at 130cm? Or from ground to low point of a taught ridge line inside the shelter with 130cm poles? If pitched low with 120cm poles is the center height 47” or closer to 42”? If pitched high with 140cm poles are the exterior peaks at 54” or more like 58”?

It‘s not a deal breaker but I am interested to know how much room there will be when up on my knees. Any feedback or actual measurements will be greatly appreciated. @RockChucker30 ?

Last edited:

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
One more question before making a decision.......how is the height measured?

Sounds like a lot of the specs are based on a pitch with 130cm poles. Is the advertised 50” height from ground to exterior top of peak above a pole set at 130cm? Or from ground to low point of a taught ridge line inside the shelter with 130cm poles? If pitched low with 120cm poles is the center height 47” or closer to 42”? If pitched high with 140cm poles are the exterior peaks at 54” or more like 58”?

It‘s not a deal breaker but I am interested to know how much room there will be when up on my knees. Any feedback or actual measurements will be greatly appreciated.

I think I usually set my poles to 50-55 inches. It depends on the weather. I can get on my knees with no problems either way. I'd buy one again if something ever happens to this. Very versatile tent with tons of head room. You won't be disappointed.

Aharmsen

FNG
Yup - it's pretty easy. And if you have wind/rain coming in one direction, stake out one door side tight to ground into the wind using all the stake loops. Use the downwind side for entry and exit.

I like this shelter the more I use it.
Sounds like I just need to dink with it some more, it's very easy to set up, but tough to get perfect in my mind

Aharmsen

FNG
We're releasing the Silex today.

17 oz in silnylon, around 12 in dyneema. Pitches with two trekking poles. Requires four stakes. Can run this floorless or with a nest as a doublewall tent.

The Silex is one of our zipperless tents, similar to the Eolus. Major difference is it pitches tighter to the ground and the door opens taller. Eolus is better for two people. Door angle on Silex plus the tight to ground pitch allows for good hot tent usage.

This class of shelter gets into an interesting space.....it's as light as a DST, but offers much better storm protection (though less flexible in pitch than a DST), but also competes with a more dedicated solo tent.

Silex Ultralight Hunting Tent

I have the silex and ordered it with the stove Jack to hopefully grab a stove at some point.
My question is have you ever had trouble with melting trecking poles being that close to the stove?
It looks like with mine the stove jack is very close to where my pole needs to be. and in the video you guys posted of the silex at a show with a stove in it the pole looks to be literally right next to it.
Thanks!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the silex and ordered it with the stove Jack to hopefully grab a stove at some point.
My question is have you ever had trouble with melting trecking poles being that close to the stove?
It looks like with mine the stove jack is very close to where my pole needs to be. and in the video you guys posted of the silex at a show with a stove in it the pole looks to be literally right next to it.
Thanks!
We have not had an issue. That being said angling the pole or stove a little helps. It is too small of a shelter to have a roaring 1000 degree fire . That being said, we do not know if some poles have an issue .. but none that we have used have had issues

Aharmsen

FNG
We have not had an issue. That being said angling the pole or stove a little helps. It is too small of a shelter to have a roaring 1000 degree fire . That being said, we do not know if some poles have an issue .. but none that we have used have had issues
Sounds good. I figured if it was a common problem with certain poles you guys would have heard about it by now!

Thanks Bryanboss429. The usable space and headroom seems like a winner.
I was just hoping to get an actual measurement or an explanation of the height spec.

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Bryanboss429. The usable space and headroom seems like a winner.
I was just hoping to get an actual measurement or an explanation of the height spec.

If it helps, the spec on Seek Outsides' website says 50 inches for the height. That is going to change for everyone depending on the climate they are in at the time.