Seek Outside Silex

Good post Kyle. Thank you for the pics and info, very helpful.
Do you happen to remember what length/height your trekking poles were set at? Or a measure of the height the corners are up off the ground? Looks like about 4 inches, so a ground tight pitch with taut guy outs should still offer enough clearance?

KyleR1985

WKR
Good post Kyle. Thank you for the pics and info, very helpful.
Do you happen to remember what length/height your trekking poles were set at? Or a measure of the height the corners are up off the ground? Looks like about 4 inches, so a ground tight pitch with taut guy outs should still offer enough clearance?
Trekking poles were set at 48”. I could’ve staked the four Extra guy outs straight to the ground (a low pitch) if I wanted. As it sat they touched the blades of grass in the yard, so at most 4”, probably closer to 2”

sneaky

"DADDY"
View attachment 186345View attachment 186345View attachment 186346View attachment 186347View attachment 186348

For reference I’m 6’3. With the pad centered in the diamond, I can place my size 13 feet on top of each other and barely touch the side of the tent. With my head on a pillow, I can put two Fists on top of my face before touching the side. If I pulled the guy outs taut at head and feet, it would add at least an inch, maybe 2.

that pad is 76” long as well for reference
Do you have the nest for yours? Looks like it would shorten things up for us 6'3" and up guys quick as far as clearance above our head and feet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you have the nest for yours? Looks like it would shorten things up for us 6'3" and up guys quick as far as clearance above our head and feet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not really . The nest is only an inch or two lower and is DWR on top and uses the guy out points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my Silex about a week ago and finally had time to pitch it and seal the seams today.
As easy to put up as everyone has said. Got a nice taught pitch on the first try and it had only been out of the box for 6 minutes. Very happy because ease of pitch and light weight were big purchase factors.
I had asked some height questions here and to SO through their CS contact. I just wanted to come back here and add my measurements to the info everyone has already provided.
I measured 50” from the ground to the low spot in a tight ridge line. I used two trekking poles set at 135 cm and there was a 3.5” gap from the ground up to the bottom of the canopy.

Thanks SO for another great product!

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Vestibules are 3' deep on either side.

View attachment 111540

Looking for my first solo tent. Have it narrowed down to the silex and eolus. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned one of the big advantages of the silex over the eolus was the size of footprint.
looking at this diagram vs the eolus diagram, the silex is 10’x10.5’, and eolus is 8’x12’. Slightly Different shape but overall square footage not much different. is it really that much easier to find a spot to set up camp with the silex?

Just got a note my DCF Silex shipped, it'll be here Monday. Full review coming up on it...

Definitely worried about the mosquito issue though, we'll see how it works. Could care less about the other bugs.

I own the DCF Cimarron and love it.

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for my first solo tent. Have it narrowed down to the silex and eolus. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned one of the big advantages of the silex over the eolus was the size of footprint.
looking at this diagram vs the eolus diagram, the silex is 10’x10.5’, and eolus is 8’x12’. Slightly Different shape but overall square footage not much different. is it really that much easier to find a spot to set up camp with the silex?
For solo, I'd go with the Silex. No personal experience with the Eolus. Seek Outside isn't offering the Eolus with a stove jack. Get it with the stove jack option so you can make it a hot tent later if needed/wanted. As for real estate to pitch it, that would depend on the area you are going to hunt. The Silex is a great shelter. Easy to set up, very functional shelter.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Silex is more of a 7' X 7', or 10 x 10.5 on the diagonals. It will go into a tighter space than the Eolus, but in most spots it won't be that big of an issue.

Getting it set up tonight to take measurements. Initial weights for the Silex, 12oz was claimed with cordage, 2x door pulls, and 2x tie-downs. I got 13.1 with it seam-sealed from the factory, I also included the 4 stakes as well. Weight seems on the point then, possibly lower. (Thanks for pointing this out AK Troutbum!)

I will be backpacking for 5 days with it starting Thursday for scouting mule deer. Pretty excited about this tent.

For comparison, a fully packed up BA Fly Creek HV UL2.

IMG_1912.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg

IMG_1844.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting it set up tonight to take measurements. Initial weights for the Silex, 12oz was claimed with cordage, 2x door pulls, and 2x tie-downs. I got 13.1 with no seam sealer, also included the 4 stakes as well. I will be backpacking for 5 days with it starting Thursday for scouting mule deer. Pretty excited about this tent.

For comparison, a fully packed up BA Fly Creek HV UL2.

View attachment 189858

View attachment 189859

View attachment 189861

DCF seams are already taped/sealed, right?

DCF seams are already taped/sealed, right?

Yes, you are correct! Thanks for pointing that out, it did come fully seam-sealed, stoked to know that now. They included a seam sealer tube with it so I thought I had to do it. Weight makes complete sense now for the extra oz.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes they are fully taped . I’ll see if we can stop sending sealer since it is not needed .

We should be having some adhesive stuff available such as guy outs and loops plus a larger repair adhesive at some point soon .

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
silex and red cliff on order .... dang, this is gonna be awesome, the canvas must go as i dont really truck hunt so it'll have to serve someone else well for the rest of its life lol

reaper

WKR
Is it too short for the stove pipe on the silex?
Guys running a stove in the silex don't you get worried about the small space near the fabric ???
Any tips?
c313afe087579cf21ef2313764a5470e.jpg
5be7a50977c828ec3b427b1b435a0939.jpg
8bd1b1f54eda14900c6b8e7e66139760.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Vaughan3D

FNG
I know this has been discussed quite a bit already but I’m curious as to if anyone has experience (photos even better) of someone that is tall (over 6’5”) in the nest to show how much space there is from the feet to the nest and the head to the nest when on a pad.

All of the images I’ve seen only show a pad in the nest which is some help but doesn’t really show how this would play out height wise.

Kevin has mentioned someone 7’ should be able to fit. Is that in the nest or without nest?

The Silex checks all of the boxes for what I’m looking for, but I have concerns about being 6’7” and having enough room to not be right up against the mesh of the nest. I have a 25”x78” (4” thick) sleeping pad (Sea to Summit) which already loses some of the height I assume I would need to stay clear from the interior of the nest.

My current tent interior is 90” long which one would think is more than long enough, but the slanted walls don’t take advantage of the room leaving both my head and feet right up on the wall.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share. There is so much to love about this design… really want it to work for me.

Vaughan3D

FNG
Which would have more head and feet clearance to the nest walls... the Cimarron half nest or the Silex Nest?

tdhanses

WKR
Is it too short for the stove pipe on the silex?
Guys running a stove in the silex don't you get worried about the small space near the fabric ???
Any tips?
c313afe087579cf21ef2313764a5470e.jpg
5be7a50977c828ec3b427b1b435a0939.jpg
8bd1b1f54eda14900c6b8e7e66139760.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

It doesn’t worry me, my old Kifaru Supertarp was about like that if I remember correctly. You could move the stove about 3 more inches though and give the pipe a slight angle vs straight up, won’t hurt anything.