Seek Outside stove damper disassembly/packing

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside stove dampers appear fragile compared to the rest of the stove, and it seems like there's high potential for squishing when packed with the stove or chucked in a pack. Seek Outside recommends partial disassembly, but with the exception of the spark arrestor, the thing is welded together.

Short of trying to find a hard case, or packing clothes around it, what have y'all done to pack this thing without damaging it?

Clarence

WKR
If you squeeze it into a oval, you can get the baffle out. Then use it as a "ring" on your stove pipe. Before I did this, I would put it in my pack lid. Was surprised how resilient it was.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I just watched the Ryan Lampers MT deer hunt and they showed how they remove the damper and use the body as a ring for the pipe. I was immediately embarrassed I hadn't thought of that.

6.5x284

WKR
I wish I saw this post years ago! But to echo the above...they are actually pretty tough. Love the stove pipe ring idea though.

archp625

WKR
Did you get a plastic tube with your stove for the stove pipe? I did but maybe because I have a u-turn stove. I put mine in that plastic tube.

Clarence

WKR
Did you get a plastic tube with your stove for the stove pipe? I did but maybe because I have a u-turn stove. I put mine in that plastic tube.
My box stove did not. Picked up a tube from seek after trying several months to stumble on a repurposed equivalent. Nice not to get creosote all over your pack.

archp625

WKR
My box stove did not. Picked up a tube from seek after trying several months to stumble on a repurposed equivalent. Nice not to get creosote all over your pack.

Yep to me the tube is money. I know if you call them they will gladly sip anyone one. I would recommend it.

I bought stovepipe end rings from Lite Outdoors (the same type that Titanium Goat used to sell) as well as a titanium damper to fit directly into my titanium stovepipe along with the spark arrestor mesh screen, doing away with the original supplied fitting which I was never a fan of.

I much prefer this set up on my Cub stove.

TonyG86

FNG
If you squeeze it into a oval, you can get the baffle out. Then use it as a "ring" on your stove pipe. Before I did this, I would put it in my pack lid. Was surprised how resilient it was.

Great advice!

Voyageur

WKR
I received an email yesterday announcing an upgrade by SO to their stove damper. Just gave the email a cursory perusal, but it looked interesting.

jmike

FNG
I will have to order the new damper.... I actually broke mine trying to remove it. also like to idea of storing ir over to pipe.