Seek Outside Tent + Stove = Cold?

cnelk

WKR
A couple of things for you

1- Put a liner in the tipi
2- Put a tarp down

Both of these ^^^^ will help keep condensation out of your shelter.

I went to Alaska in mid-Sept with my SO 6man tipi. Frost every night but we didnt have any condensation inside the tipi

Sure your going to have some ember burns in the tarp, but well worth not having condensation.

The Kifaru stove warmed us up in the mornings, and kept the chill out before we went to sleep

But those little stove do not heat very long

Lawnboi

WKR
The only way to combat condensation in those temps is a liner.

Just cause your bag is rated for zero dosnt mean your going to be warm even close to that temp. Vapor barrier might even be needed for an extended stay at zero and staying freezing all

Get a closed cell foam pad to put under your blow up pad when it’s cold. All air pads tend to have cold spots.

Camping with minimalist gear, in single digits can be tough regardless

OP
W

Wally3o3

FNG
Hmmm…. Got the stove rolling at 9 and fell asleep shortly after. Did that big log turn to ashes? It would only burn for maybe 2 hours with the stove turned down, but you would need a good, hot bed of coals first. So my first piece of advice is get your coals roaring hot before you turn in with that big log, then turn down the air and dampener.

Next, as stated above, sleeping pad. Add a foam layer (matty mcmat face) or get a warmer pad. Then check your sleeping bag rating - is 0* lower limit or comfort limit? Big difference.

Last, falling asleep for more than 2-3 hours, stove will be out. In the backcountry I carry a mini cigar torch (refillable), and always have the small to large wood ready to fire it up again.

For reference, I sleep on a R3 rated exped pad, with a reflective foam pad under it, with a 20* lower limit bag, with a 900 cu” stove in a large tipi. In a 0* blizzard that dumped a foot of snow overnight I was warm all night. We stoked the fire every 2-3 hours though. Tipi was probably 50* inside at the low points, and warm enough to wear a t-shirt when the stove was roaring. You got plenty of good advice in the thread, go try again, you’ll figure it out.
Definitely did not have coals... Just burned enough kindling to ignite a log and then passed out. Sleeping bag has a lower limit of -1.2 F and a comfort rating of 12.7 F... Should've be good enough plus I had my thermals on.

Sounds like I need to break that tipi back out when the temp drops in town and figure it out. I've received tons of helpful advice on where I went wrong.

Glad to hear of a good and warm experience in the tipis... I know it can be done! Stranahan's snow flake is coming up in December so that'll be a good time to test it again.

OP
W

Wally3o3

FNG
A couple of things for you

1- Put a liner in the tipi
2- Put a tarp down

Both of these ^^^^ will help keep condensation out of your shelter.

I went to Alaska in mid-Sept with my SO 6man tipi. Frost every night but we didnt have any condensation inside the tipi

Sure your going to have some ember burns in the tarp, but well worth not having condensation.

The Kifaru stove warmed us up in the mornings, and kept the chill out before we went to sleep

But those little stove do not heat very long

Thanks for the advice. The half nest I'm running gives half of the tent a liner plus a netting to combat condensation. An extra tarp never hurt anyone so I'll add that to the pack. Looks like you guys are running a similar setup that I am gearing up for.

I bet that Alaska trip was a blast! Hopefully y'all had a good hunt.

sndmn11

WKR
What exact sleeping bag do you have? The rating of the bag doesn't mean a whole lot.

I have a lot of nights in cold weather on a klymit pad, and haven't had an issue. Which exact pad is it?

Moserkr

WKR
I think you will be fine in the future. Coals make stoves function correctly. Add the foam mat underneath and it will boost your sleep setup significantly in near 0* weather. You have a warmer setup than I have so should be no issues now that you learned some tricks.

I will also add that I usually wear all my layers to bed in whatever temps Im in. Below 15*, I will be wearing a full down layer, as well ad a merino layer, with hunting pants on top. Near freezing its just the merino layer. Above 40* and my bags open or I dont bring the stove. Your bag is rated much lower than mine though, but point is, layer up. Also eat a big hot meal before bed. Some will even keep warm water near their feet in a nalgene, but i never have needed to go that far.

You got the right idea though - practice in a safe environment til you’re confident.

I would add an ultralight cot to get up off the ground, along with other advice already provided.

Okay this makes more sense to me... Thanks for the heads up! It felt like I was sleeping on an ice cube. I'll look into Thermarest, or an equivalent pad, instead of going the blow-up route.

Blow up pads are super legit, it’s the individual model that makes a big difference. I use a neoair xtherm and the difference from the klymit to that was like the ice cube to a furnace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I have had a crazy plan to spend the night in my 8 man tipi on the lake ice fishing this winter with my son. My plan was my seek outside xl stove along with a mr buddy heater, 0 degree mummy bags with a - 20 degree rectangular bag unzipped over both of our cots with foam pads and high r value blow up pads. The mr buddy was more of a safety net if we woke up cold. I was already doubting the wisdom of the plan, but your post is making me second guess myself even more. I guess with my boy being out there I would just stay up and keep the wood stove going all night if it came down to it. (Or do the smart thing and make ice fishing a day venture.)

Poser

WKR
What’s the big deal with condensation? Who cares if you wake up to a frosted inside of a tent? Fire up the stove and it’s gone in minutes.

I only use single wall tents. I accept the condensation as it exists and, you’re right, the stove will dry it out. The only time I resent condensation is when the morning plans require breaking camp and moving before first light. In that case, one can either wake up extra early and dry things out with the stove, though, running on exhaustion, I’ll often forego a shelter altogether to avoid the hassle. The last time I did this, I got buried in my bivy sack by snow….

ScottP

WKR
Okay this makes more sense to me... Thanks for the heads up! It felt like I was sleeping on an ice cube. I'll look into Thermarest, or an equivalent pad, instead of going the blow-up route.
Yes. get a better pad. you can freeze under a zero bag or quilt in 20 degree weather with a lesser pad. I went through a couple and now have an xtherm for backpacking and an exped megamat (R10) for car camps. It's life changing. You can also double up with various forms of foam pads. I use two pads on my cot for example when car camping with a tipi. As mentioned, air pads typically are not ideal for getting higher R values.

mlgc20

WKR
Lots of good advice already posted. I will just reiterate one thing. The pad is everything when it comes to winter camping. If weight allows, I love my Exped Downmat 9. I’ve slept in single digits on top of that pad, with a 30 degree Marmot bag. A Thermarest X-therm is my choice when concerned about weight.

Ram94

WKR
Most has been said. But I burn a candle lantern or two all night. To cut down on condensation and take a little bit of the edge off the cold. Then roll out and start the stove to dry and heat up in the morning.
Are you putting the candle lanterns inside your stove or just free air?

colersu22

WKR
Lots of good advice already posted. I will just reiterate one thing. The pad is everything when it comes to winter camping. If weight allows, I love my Exped Downmat 9. I’ve slept in single digits on top of that pad, with a 30 degree Marmot bag. A Thermarest X-therm is my choice when concerned about weight.

I have the same pad and it’s almost to warm hunting September elk with my 20 degree revolution quilt. I can feel the heat coming off the pad right when I lay down.

I have had a crazy plan to spend the night in my 8 man tipi on the lake ice fishing this winter with my son. My plan was my seek outside xl stove along with a mr buddy heater, 0 degree mummy bags with a - 20 degree rectangular bag unzipped over both of our cots with foam pads and high r value blow up pads. The mr buddy was more of a safety net if we woke up cold. I was already doubting the wisdom of the plan, but your post is making me second guess myself even more. I guess with my boy being out there I would just stay up and keep the wood stove going all night if it came down to it. (Or do the smart thing and make ice fishing a day venture.)

That sounds awesome and very toasty. Send it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
What’s the big deal with condensation? Who cares if you wake up to a frosted inside of a tent? Fire up the stove and it’s gone in minutes.

Cold air with high relative humidity "feels" colder than dry air of the same temperature because high humidity in cold weather increases the conduction of heat from the body.