Seek Outside tipis or.....

BishopB7

FNG
Just seeing if anyone had any experience or advice on the seek outside tipis. Im leaning towards the cimarron for my backcountry tent. All the brands seem to be in the same ballpark, but just wanted to get your guys opinion on packability, weight, ease of setup and takedown, space, etc on backcountry shelters. I am looking to purchase soon and I can't make up my mind. Advantages of the tipi style vs. regular backpack tent like the msr's, sierra designs, marmot? Thanks guys

Trial153

WKR
Buddy a search on here will turn up more floorless vs tent info then you can read in a week. You will also find lots about SO shelters. A bunch of us have and are happy with them.

KurtR

WKR
Fvcdf7g.jpg
[/IMG]

They are awesome and do everything that is promised

amp713

WKR
Lots of love for seek here and tons of info on it.

I run a luxe and love it.

If you can handle floorless it's pretty awesome

bcimport

WKR
I’ve got an 8 man that I’ll pack a moderate distance for family backpacking trips and I’ve had a couple of BT2’s as well. Very well made and reliable shelters.

OP
BishopB7

BishopB7

FNG
Thanks for the pictures guys! I like the silver tip too. Yeah I do a lot of research on things before I ask for opinions on here. Im just trying to get some review type stuff on these. Ive been in a marmot limelight for a while, and the seek outside seems to be where I'm headed. Right on, appreciate the feedback! I really think they're an awesome tent for the price.

Would you rather have a seek tipi or a kifaru tipi? Anyone have a opinion on this that have used both or at least studied them?

Kifaru is more spendy with less options but the fabric is superior. You could ask William Hanson as well. He makes his own shelters and has handled several fabrics. He has said in a previous post that Kifaru's fabric is better than SO. I'm sure they are both great shelters but I tend to lean the kifaru way every time.

Trial153

WKR
I own both. I don’t see a difference in any measurable or usable sense in the fabric.

mcseal2

WKR
I have an 8 man Seek and a Kifaru paratarp and megatarp. I think quality is great on both. The reason I went with the Seek for the big shelter is primarily the sod skirt. It has a skirt outside where the stakes go that can help keep out critters and wind.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kifaru is more spendy with less options but the fabric is superior. You could ask William Hanson as well. He makes his own shelters and has handled several fabrics. He has said in a previous post that Kifaru's fabric is better than SO. I'm sure they are both great shelters but I tend to lean the kifaru way every time.

We use a 30D cordura spec double coated silnylon that specs out at 3000-4000 mm hydrostatic head.

Our fabric is some of the best available and I think if you compare actual specs you will find it isn't inferior in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigEd

FNG
At the end of the day Seek Outside is made here in the US and they give back to conservation. Many of the traditional backpacking brands are opposed to our way of life.

I’m not bashing SO. They make a great product and do great things for the outdoors. I’ve said before that SO has better options and are priced better than Kifaru. However, I’ve listened to videos and talked to people about the fabrics. Does t make a difference? Who knows. I’m just giving my opinion. You can’t go wrong with either.

OP
BishopB7

BishopB7

FNG
Both seem great. I'm a firm believer in spending money for good stuff, but don't see any reason to spend more on the Kifaru. I can't see SO fabric being inferior or less durable either. The market for packable shelters is just too small to offer a so-so item. Plus if seek contributes back a percentage to support our obsessions and the lands we use then I think that seals the deal pretty strongly. For me at least.

Both seem great. I'm a firm believer in spending money for good stuff, but don't see any reason to spend more on the Kifaru. I can't see SO fabric being inferior or less durable either. The market for packable shelters is just too small to offer a so-so item. Plus if seek contributes back a percentage to support our obsessions and the lands we use then I think that seals the deal pretty strongly. For me at least.
Kifaru fabric is pretty damn awesome, but I didnt feel like worth the price for my uses. I am fine with my Jimmy tarps silpoly and have a SO tarp in the mail which I am sure will be fine. Looking back, it feels like I felt I HAD to have the kifaru because I drank the koolaid, not because it was commensurate with my uses.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Okay I find myself asking this exact same question! What is the difference? I am getting one or the other but is there a difference?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Granted I am biased, and SO does not bash any other brands. However, we know most of the fabric sources, we have talked with most of the sources, and we have even built tents out of some that claim they are the best, just to see and test against our fabric. Personally I think our fabric is as good if not better than every fabric I have tested and many fairly experienced users seem to feel the same. Beyond the fabric, a lot of other small details contribute to construction quality such as thread / needle / reinforcements / etc.

Kevin, are you stating that your fabric is of the same quality as Kifaru? I watched a video on YouTube of Aron Snyder testing fabrics. I’m assuming the one he put Kifaru’s up against was your fabric. To me it wasn’t even close when it was seen up close under stress. That’s quite a lofty opinion on your part to say yours is of better quality or same when thousands watched that video.