Seek Outside U-Turn stove

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I would really like to see what the Seek Outside U turn stove looks like in its storage bag(s). I’m debating between the medium, the large, and a Lite Outdoors 18” cylinder stove for my Kifaru Sawtooth. All are similar in weight and I don’t plan on cooking on the stove. Does anybody have any pictures?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I have mine put together right now, i was hoping to burn it in this weekend. If i do i will take a picture once its repacked

Trial153

WKR
The stove will be in flat sleeve and the body will be in a roll with your pipe. Pretty anticlimactic, it packs easy

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
0ff1f59d0840ed3a70d6725556ab863f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks that looks pretty compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is. I started with a Large regular SO stove, then sold it due to weight and bought a Cub. The cub couldn’t keep up when things got stupid cold so I bought a Large U-turn.

Thing puts off some heat and is easy in the weight department. I think I’ve finally settled and don’t plan on buying another stove for a while lol.

For me being able to cook on it is a must. Never know when your stove gets busted or it gets too cold to use a canister stove. Always good to have a backup method of cooking.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
It is. I started with a Large regular SO stove, then sold it due to weight and bought a Cub. The cub couldn’t keep up when things got stupid cold so I bought a Large U-turn.

Thing puts off some heat and is easy in the weight department. I think I’ve finally settled and don’t plan on buying another stove for a while lol.

For me being able to cook on it is a must. Never know when your stove gets busted or it gets too cold to use a canister stove. Always good to have a backup method of cooking.

What shelter are you using the large in? I’m back and forth between the large and the medium for a Kifaru Sawtooth.

What shelter are you using the large in? I’m back and forth between the large and the medium for a Kifaru Sawtooth.

Cimmeron. I debated the medium but the large was only 3oz more and wood prep is so much easier with a longer box. That was part of the reason I sold the cub. Wood prep for that thing sucked.

With a 14 in box I might not even need a saw as long as there is plenty of dry wood around, which most places out west there is plenty. So in a roundabout way the large might actually save some weight.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Bigger fire box for only 3 oz of weight penalty and price is basically the same. Thanks for the pics and input.

Chad E

WKR
Definitely go with the large. Very little weight penalty and you will always appreciate a larger fire box for the versatility. Less wood prep and longer burn times by getting more wood in the stove are advantages you'll appreciate after a long day.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I’ll have lots of room in there because I still consider the Sawtooth a one man tent. I’m not down with sleeping 6 inches from another snoring dude who hasn’t had the luxury of a shower for a week

tdot

WKR

What were the temps like that the Cub couldnt keep up with in the Cimmaron? I'm waffling between the Cub and Large UTurn.... our temps will likely not be below 20-25. Thanks

What were the temps like that the Cub couldnt keep up with in the Cimmaron? I'm waffling between the Cub and Large UTurn.... our temps will likely not be below 20-25. Thanks

0 to about -10.

I did NOT expect temps to go that low, I expected 20-25 with nothing below about 15. Some crazy ass weather... Biggest issue was we couldn’t get things warm enough to dry stuff out, just not enough radiant heat coming off the box. Being able to hang gear higher up would’ve helped, and since then I’ve added some loops and beaners to the center pole.

It’s not just about not keeping up heat wise... burn time is a consideration too. When you only get a 20 min burn time vs an hr that’s a big difference.

Not to mention wood prep. With a 14 in box you can usually get away with just breaking medium sized sticks with a stomp of a boot. You can have a lot of wood in a hurry vs sawing up a bunch of little 5-6in logs.

Overall the large U turn is well worth the extra weight over the regular cub. FYI they are supposed to come out with a Cub U turn sometime soon.

I’d recommend calling them and asking what they recommend. Super knowledgeable and super helpful folks!

Last edited:

Tshug

FNG
I have the Cimarron as well and I think I'm going to go ahead and shoot for the large u-turn. I make sense to me with a longer box... You have easier prep for wood and longer burn time. No brainer