Seek Outside U-Turn stove

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
A question for you guys running the large u-turn stoves. Have you used the regular large box stoves from seek, and if so how do they compare for heat. I know they say the large u-turns don’t put out quite as much heat due to the 2 1/2” stove pipe. I’m just debating on a large or a large u-turn for an ultralight cimarron.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would recommend for a UL Cimarron , a large UTurn personally. Less wood prep, still light, good size for the shelter.

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone ran the large u-turn in a 6 man tipi? Thinking of swapping to the u-turn for Wyoming elk hunt this fall . Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a cimarron and just ordered a large U Turn today. The customer service rep recommended the large u turn for weight savings and 25% less wood prep compared to medium U turn. Im excited to burn it in and use on backcountry adventures.

Boiserunr

FNG
I was about the pull the trigger on the Cimmaron ultralight and large U-turn for a while and after reading this I put my order in. I'm a gram counter but after freezing in zero degrees many nights in my mountaineering tent I can't wait for this set up to arrive.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I finally ordered a large U-turn when they had the sale. I’ll post up a review after I test it out.

I have a large. Literally no compelling reason to go smaller except 3 Oz weight savings. You will trade a lot of wood prep for those few ounces. Large all the way.

archp625

WKR
Cimmeron. I debated the medium but the large was only 3oz more and wood prep is so much easier with a longer box. That was part of the reason I sold the cub. Wood prep for that thing sucked.

With a 14 in box I might not even need a saw as long as there is plenty of dry wood around, which most places out west there is plenty. So in a roundabout way the large might actually save some weight.
I wish I bought a large U turn instead of a medium due to wood prep.

Last edited:
So it looks like the large is the way to go. I was all set to get the large U-turn but then started looking at the Lite OutDoors 18" stove.
It's a bit cheaper and has an even longer firebox. Anyone have any input on the Lite Outdoors?

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lite outdoors titanium stove. It's an 18 inch length. It is lite. To be honest, I'm thinking of selling it. It certainly has saved me when temps got too cold to sleep. I'm looking for a stove with an easier setup. Anyone know if the SO stoves run more than an hour or two. I can't imagine any of the lightweight ti stoves can. Are they fairly easy to setup?

reaper

WKR
So it looks like the large is the way to go. I was all set to get the large U-turn but then started looking at the Lite OutDoors 18" stove.
It's a bit cheaper and has an even longer firebox. Anyone have any input on the Lite Outdoors?
Go with a box stove, cylinder stoves are a PITA

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

smalljaws

FNG
Thanks for all of the great information! I think that I've decided on a large u-turn when I purchase my cimarron light.

Can anyone with the u-turn comment on strength/stability of it vs the standard large SO stoves? I'm leaning towards the u-turn for weight reasons but having potentially flimsy sidewalls seems like it could be an issue....not planning on putting a ton of weight on top at all but my gut is questioning the durability.

Chad E

WKR
I've used regular box stoves before and I have a large u turn now. For my use the strength of a u turn is just fine. I've boiled water and heated food up on it without issue in "lightweight" type cookware. If your looking to throw a large cast iron skillet on it maybe consider strength but in my experience the design is plenty strong. The way it's put together you'd have to put a lot of weight on it to cause issues I would think

JLeeC10

FNG
I have a Sawtooth,take the Large.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk
With your sawtooth and the SO stove, did you cut your own stove jack since Kifaru only cuts stove jacks for their pipe diameters?

reaper

WKR
With your sawtooth and the SO stove, did you cut your own stove jack since Kifaru only cuts stove jacks for their pipe diameters?
Yes...you can ask kifaru to not cut your stove jack.I think on the website on the kifaru sawtooth page you can choose between having to cut it or not.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk