Seek Outside users - regret going with a big pack?

I'm considering buying a Unaweep for backpacking as well as hunting. I was leaning towards the 4800, since that is more than I could imagine needing for a backpacking trip, and with a talon and external lashing options, I think I could make it work for most hunting too. The 6300 is tempting, though. Seems like it could be a great hauler for not just hunting but also trips with family where I'm carrying much more than I otherwise would. Still, most of the time it would be much more space than I need.

For those who went big when they purchased a Seek Outside and got a 6300 size pack bag, what are your thoughts? Do you ever regret it? I know the SO system compresses pretty well, so that must help with all the extra space at least somewhat.

duchntr

WKR
I have 2 6300's and I personally wouldn't go smaller for a hunting pack. For a primary backpacking pack my HMG 3400 is big enough for week long summer trips for me. With all that in mind I usually use my 6300 for backpacking trips especially when my wife and baby are in tow, it compresses down just fine when I don't need all the space.

3forks

WKR
I have 2 6300's and I personally wouldn't go smaller for a hunting pack. For a primary backpacking pack my HMG 3400 is big enough for week long summer trips for me. With all that in mind I usually use my 6300 for backpacking trips especially when my wife and baby are in tow, it compresses down just fine when I don't need all the space.

I thought I’d offer my opinion, because it supports what Duchntr has stated.

I have been using a Stone Glacier 5900 for a few years and wouldn’t want to go smaller for a hunting pack. I too, can go for a week with my Hyperlite 3400, but have ordered a Seek Outside flight to potentially replace the HMG.

Anyway, as Duchntr also stated, you shouldn‘t have issues compressing a larger bag If you don’t need its full capacity.

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
Since you're looking at the integrated platform, I'd go with the Brooks and be done with it. I started with a Lanner, and that works well for backpacking. I was lacking the extra space for late season hunts though . It wasn't the weight of the loaded pack that was the issue, it was the space I had available. So I picked up a used Broadwing in the classifieds, and will add a Short Tall later this year. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Go larger, you can compress it down when you don't need the space.

Started small and went up to the 6300 love it I always have extra room if I take the kids or need to haul some extra stuff. Packs down super small when you don't need the extra space

More wood for the fire. Have a 6300 fortress and love it. Day hunt with it collapsed down to nothing. Lots a lot of gear - see profile pic!

Wrongside

WKR
We have 3 6300s in our house and wouldnt go with any thing smaller for our uses. The extra cubes add minimal ounces, and as the others mentioned previously, SO packs compress very well.

Rich M

WKR
You don't have to fill it up. Like they said - it is easier to have extra room as opposed to compressing everything to make it all fit.

Wapiti1

WKR
I have fortress 4800 and 6300 bags for my Revolution. For normal day hunts and couple day backpack trips the 4800 is what I use with a Merlin. For long trips I use the 6300 plus Merlin.

I could use the 6300 bag for everything without any real issues.

The next bag will be the Saker and I'll probably never take that one off. That one would cover all the bases, IMO.

Jeremy

OP
W
Thanks everyone for the replies. I just bought a Revolution 6300 on ebay and am excited to put it to use. Maybe later I will pick up a 3500 cu in packbag, either a custom one or the Peregrine.

netman

WKR
I have the Saker on Revo frame. I hunt solo 90% of the time. I have however hunted with my best friend from childhood who lives in Colorado. Between him , his stepson and myself we try to outdo each other when packing elk or mule deer meat out. It’s nice hunting with guys who want to carry out more than the other guys. I’m built for hauling a lot of meat out and my Saker helps make it easier.

I have a Unaweep 4800 and get along well with it using a lid and talon.
That said, with packs and pole barns go 25% larger then you think you need. Extra space costs very little in $ & lbs.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don’t have a SO but I thought I’d pitch in my opinion about pack size since I’m bored as hell.

I prefer to have a larger pack, I can always snug it down for day use then have the capacity to haul in my camp easily when needed. Last year I had 5 days to hunt sheep, I hauled in a nice comfortable camp set up with my big pack, then was able to tighten it down to go hunting each day. the big pack was important for that trip because al the water was about 1500 feet below where I camped so I hauled in like 15 liters of water so I wouldn’t have to go back for more. It sucked but not as bad as losing elevation daily to fill up.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Saker that I bough when I was thinking of hiking in for a week, but after some thinking I am looking at doing 1 to 3 days from a basecamp. Trying to see if it would be worth picking up a Perigrine, or just compressing the Saker. I like the pocket config on the Perigrine for spotter an tripod. Was going to rig up the pack tonight and see how it would ride compressed with the hunting equipment. Did a warmup hike with the Saker compressed and a 40 lbs of sand. No issues with the pack other than it was kind of bulky to compress down. Just looking for inputs.

with seek, you have very little weight penalty for bigger packs, sounds like you made a good choice. my first seek outside pack showed up today (peregrine) and they make a really cool platform, heading east tomorrow trying to glass up a bear for a buddy, so am excited to get some time under the new pack.... so far it's what I hoped for, I was messing around with all of the adjustments for over an hour earlier just familiarizing myself with the system.... lots of thought went into these packs.

pack volume is an individual need, the peregrine will fit it's niche with me perfect, but i'll probably get another bigger bag for it at some point.

my needs are unique in a pack, and I had it narrowed down to the Lanner and peregrine, and am glad I went with the peregrine. it would be pretty easy to get 4-5 days with the peregrine early season.

I got a talon too, just for stuffing extra clothes or rain gear in when needed.

the 4800 was very tempting, but the organization of the peregrine won me over in the end.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm one of those who got a Revolution 6,300 Fortress. It's one of many packs I have and my favorite by a mile. My two main criteria were --- as large a volume as I could get and a setup designed to be as waterproof as possible.

The 6,300 has no zipper so check the waterproof box. The 6,300 main bag is voluminous yet the weight penalty compared to a 4,800 is 3oz. The additional 1,500ci real estate comes at small fractional cost with little weight and is well worth it. Add two hipbelt XL pockets, and top lid (in addition to the Talon that comes with it) and you've got a setup that is 130 liters. As far as I know, no competitor with that volume comes close in weight.

I don't like having a backpack itself organized into compartments. I much prefer to organize things myself within the main bag. For those who want to access things quickly, the two XL hipbelt pockets (317ci), top lid (500ci), and Talon (800ci) provide a ton of space in different areas to allow for that organized approach. Everything I could possibly want to access without opening the main bag can fit in those fours areas.

I also have a Hill People Gear Original Kit chest bag that I wear under the 6,300 and which docks to the SO. All the weight in the chest bag is distributed to the backpack so the HPGOKB feels nearly weightless and provides space on my chest to access all sorts of things quickly. You could even include a firearm for instant access.

I had a similar priority list as wiiawiwb, but went a slightly different route. I was never very satisfied with the guide lid on the Kifaru pack I had previous to my Fortress. So I skipped the lid on my SO. I started with the original talon and after a season replaced that with the Merlin talon. I have a xl pocket on the left (often with Kydex holster also on that side) and a kirafu gun bearer on the right. I really like the Merlin a lot - its got plenty of room for whatever I need easy access on hike ins/outs. Plus the bag, especially without a lid, is quick to get at things if they're towards the top. The only thing I'd like to improve my setup (are you listening SO? :)) would be to have the Merlin made out of Xpac! That said, I've never tried an SO lid - nice to have different options available so you can find what works best for you.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had a similar priority list as wiiawiwb, but went a slightly different route. I was never very satisfied with the guide lid on the Kifaru pack I had previous to my Fortress. So I skipped the lid on my SO. I started with the original talon and after a season replaced that with the Merlin talon. I have a xl pocket on the left (often with Kydex holster also on that side) and a kirafu gun bearer on the right. I really like the Merlin a lot - its got plenty of room for whatever I need easy access on hike ins/outs. Plus the bag, especially without a lid, is quick to get at things if they're towards the top. The only thing I'd like to improve my setup (are you listening SO? :)) would be to have the Merlin made out of Xpac! That said, I've never tried an SO lid - nice to have different options available so you can find what works best for you.

Are we listening ? How is that. How about a Spectra Merlin which is essentially waterproof as well and should be available shortly (I have one .. complete with waterproof zips) .

Here is how we look at it. The merlin is a really good little day pack / stalking / bike riding pack. The access you need in your pack is access to day gear .. everything else is overnight kit. Our logic in that design follows that .. and while I know our lid is popular .. myself I prefer the fast access with no lid. So for me , I can have my day gear almost always in the merlin. Then I simply attach the merlin to a pack bag with overnight gear and food and go. It is real simple. I also am real fond of the Lanner for similar reasons .. it just the day pack is the back mesh and two pocket design.