Seek Outside users - regret going with a big pack?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kevin ... any idea what the ~ weight will be on the spectra Merlin?

Less than the normal one but probably not my much . My quick weight in the scale shows about 11 ounces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO-AJ

WKR
I went through this same thought process on my first high end bag purchase. I was looking at the SO custom bags at around 6000 ci and the Exo K3 6400. Similar in many aspects but I liked a few of the features better on the Exo, so now I am just waiting for it to show up. Originally I too was looking at the 4000ci sizes but for a tradeoff of only 3-5 ozs generally and the flexibility and compressability of the packs I went big.

I can't tell you about about 100 pounds. My heaviest to date with my Fortress was about 80lbs for 7 miles on crappy/ambiguous trail in AK. I can honestly say I was pretty wiped out by the time we got to the zodiac for the last 18 miles back out to the truck. But what was wiped out was my gluts, thighs, calves, feet, and my knees were getting squishy - i.e., the pack was doing exactly what it needed to do. I've only had mine for about 4 years. As far as durability, I've had no failures of any sort, even the little strap connectors. The only wear I'm seeing is some slight wear on the softer inward facing material on the belt.

My pack before this was a Kifaru. It was great. To me they fit quite different. Its likely that if you feel a kifaru fits you great and is very comfortable with a heavily load you won't like an SO as much, and vise versa. The kiraru to me "marries" more solidly to you back - which can have pros and cons. While I wouldn't say any pack runs "cool" on your back - I think the SO is cooler on my back than the Kifaru. The other think is the kifaru has a very substantial lumbar support. A lot of folks (including me) run their SO without a lumbar support, and the one they offer is softer and less thick than I remember on my Kifaru. I'm sure you can get alternative lumbar options for the Kifaru - but for me, especially with heavy loads, the lumbar pad on the kifaru was causing pain for me.

Don't know if any of that helps or not. For me, what got me to give SO a try, and why I'm sold on mine and very happy with my Fortress is its light weight and extreme water resistance. My seam sealed fortress is darn near the equivalent of rafting dry bag.

I can't tell you about about 100 pounds. My heaviest to date with my Fortress was about 80lbs for 7 miles on crappy/ambiguous trail in AK. I can honestly say I was pretty wiped out by the time we got to the zodiac for the last 18 miles back out to the truck. But what was wiped out was my gluts, thighs, calves, feet, and my knees were getting squishy - i.e., the pack was doing exactly what it needed to do. I've only had mine for about 4 years. As far as durability, I've had no failures of any sort, even the little strap connectors. The only wear I'm seeing is some slight wear on the softer inward facing material on the belt.

My pack before this was a Kifaru. It was great. To me they fit quite different. Its likely that if you feel a kifaru fits you great and is very comfortable with a heavily load you won't like an SO as much, and vise versa. The kiraru to me "marries" more solidly to you back - which can have pros and cons. While I wouldn't say any pack runs "cool" on your back - I think the SO is cooler on my back than the Kifaru. The other think is the kifaru has a very substantial lumbar support. A lot of folks (including me) run their SO without a lumbar support, and the one they offer is softer and less thick than I remember on my Kifaru. I'm sure you can get alternative lumbar options for the Kifaru - but for me, especially with heavy loads, the lumbar pad on the kifaru was causing pain for me.

Don't know if any of that helps or not. For me, what got me to give SO a try, and why I'm sold on mine and very happy with my Fortress is its light weight and extreme water resistance. My seam sealed fortress is darn near the equivalent of rafting dry bag.

That's actually extremely helpful. Thanks! I'm sure how comfortable the lumbar support or lack thereof is affected quite a bit by how deep the curve is in the lower back. Where would you say your back is on the flat/curvy scale?

I'd really like to get one if each brand and send back the ones I don't like, but then I'd be out another $60 on shipping and they have such different lead times it would be hard to get them all to show up at my house relatively close together.

PS that's a sweet looking mannlicher you have in your profile picture

Unfortunately I'd say my back would fall into somewhat average imo - so I'm not sure thats much help. I'm at least formally of an athletic build, I have a butt, I don't have a spare tire. 5'7 and 160 lb.

Wapiti1

WKR
Looks like there's a lot of SO users here! I'm needing to know how the durability and heavy load (100lbs) carrying ability of the SO packs compare to Exo and Kifaru. See my thread https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...-pack-so-exo-kifaru-experience-needed.170826/

I've had mine since 2017 and had 130lbs on it a few times (sheep+grizzly hide and moose quarters). No issues with durability. I haven't even broken a buckle yet, but I'll eventually snap a few like I do on every pack.

Getting the frame bar high enough is critical with a heavy load on this pack for me. I wrap the belt attachments and it rides well with that setting. The new belt is great and I like it better than the original.

In all honesty, if I hauled 100+lbs regularly, I would use a Barney's frame pack. There isn't another pack that carries giant loads like that pack does. However, that is a bulky pack that isn't suited for all hunts.

For a do everything pack though, I am very happy with my SO, and it will be back in Alaska this fall trying to haul a moose and brown bear if everything settles and god smiles on me.

Jeremy

I've had mine since 2017 and had 130lbs on it a few times (sheep+grizzly hide and moose quarters). No issues with durability. I haven't even broken a buckle yet, but I'll eventually snap a few like I do on every pack.

Getting the frame bar high enough is critical with a heavy load on this pack for me. I wrap the belt attachments and it rides well with that setting. The new belt is great and I like it better than the original.

In all honesty, if I hauled 100+lbs regularly, I would use a Barney's frame pack. There isn't another pack that carries giant loads like that pack does. However, that is a bulky pack that isn't suited for all hunts.

For a do everything pack though, I am very happy with my SO, and it will be back in Alaska this fall trying to haul a moose and brown bear if everything settles and god smiles on me.

Jeremy
Which SO pack model do you have?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks like there's a lot of SO users here! I'm needing to know how the durability and heavy load (100lbs) carrying ability of the SO packs compare to Exo and Kifaru. See my thread https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...-pack-so-exo-kifaru-experience-needed.170826/

I work for SO, and have been involved with the packs since the beginning, so take what I have to say with that in mind.

The heaviest I've packed was 165 lbs, and not for long. I do know of some AK moose packouts that likely went into the 180+ or maybe even 200+ range, but again, not for long. The frame in the packs will support 300+ in vertical load. The suspension components we use are the same or better than most....500D cordura, good quality webbing and buckles, etc. We do incorporate some 3/4" webbing vs 1" for some makers, but 3/4 has a working load of 700+ lbs, so that really doesn't matter.

Two ways to make a pack durable - overbuild everything (military packs often do this). Downside is weight and cost. Second way - make it strong where it needs to be, and make critical components field repairable or replaceable. We opt for the second. It's easy to carry a couple extra gatekeepers, or some paracord for extra lashing, etc.

On heavy load comfort - my experience is that a pack can feel wonderful with 40 lbs and great with 70....for the first mile. By mile 5 it is miserable. Our packs for me feel the same at the start with heavy weight as they do at the finish. Belt slippage on other packs is the reason for me.

More on fit - every body is different. Different packs work better or worse for different people. I will say that our packs work well for a wide range of body types, and they work better than anything I know of for some specific body types.i

80lbs for 7 miles is a bigger test than 100lbs for 1.5 miles, especially on crappy ground. doesn't take long with a SO pack in hand to see it's a tough and very well thought out pack.

it's crazy they got their packs as light as they did while maintaining structural integrity. it's a huge gap in design between SO and the other super light weight pack I have used.... SO didn't give anything up for the light weight, the other super light pack I have used gave about everything up to stay light, and it showed after a year of use.

SO has a good thing going, and is just going to get bigger and bigger in the pack industry. I don't think there is another company that offers the adjustability designed into SO packs either, lots of cool adjustment features.

Go big for a real pack if you are back pack hunting. This is a 7500 mystery ranch tied down for a walk though the timber.0B762488-CBA7-427C-ABC9-7BDBD39A9A46.jpeg
Here it is loaded out for the hump out.
02F55874-E0B6-408F-909B-A0709F968C1D.jpeg

tdot

WKR
Less than the normal one but probably not my much . My quick weight in the scale shows about 11 ounces

Any idea on an eta for that Spectra Merlin? Will it only be available in the silver? (Cant believe I'm saying this, but I'd like something that goes with the green bags)

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The gray goes with green surprisingly well . It’s actually black but due to the white spectra it blends at a distance to more of a gray or even foliage .

I’d suspect soon on availability . We have just been super busy which has made getting these things out a little more challenging

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
BTW The custom options should be back and available today with a 6-8 week lead time. I suspect Spectra Merlin will be in the next few days

rj2

WKR
Here's some pics of the spectra on multicam on a custom 5400. I thought it would look worse together, its not bad.

20200521_104906.jpg 20200521_104913.jpg 20200521_104918.jpg 20200521_104928.jpg 20200521_104940.jpg 20200521_104948.jpg 20200521_104952.jpg

Last edited: