Seek Outside vs KUIU Packs - A few seasons with both... by Luke Stephens

hunting1

WKR
Kuiu packs get a bad rap and if I break one my views might change. All my packs (Kifaru, MR, Kuiu) squeak. I use the Gun Bearer on all packs and the Kuiu has so many pockets not sure what one would need?

Great problem we have, so many options!

I've got first hand experience with both brands. SO is an Evolution. Kuiu was a first Gen. I was attracted to the light weight and load carrying capabilities. Kuiu was light and comfortable. I only packed game out once with the Kuiu but have put on many miles of training hikes including a 20 mile boyscout hike/camp weighted at 40+ lbs.
I believe my Evolution is the first generation of SO packs. I've also got miles of use on this pack and multiple animals.
My experience is that the SO carries loads much better. My training sandbag is about 60# and the Evolution handles that without problem. I was always afraid I would break the carbon fiber legs on the first gen Kuiu when I set the pack down while hauling the bag. They have since removed those legs (for lack of a better term) in subsequent designs. That brings me to the biggest problem with the Kuiu.
The OP didn't address durability of the packs. That is the biggest difference between the two. The Kuiu's light weight came at the expense of durability. Mine was falling apart before I had a year on it.
1jnrVdW.jpg

eewq2oS.jpg

To their credit Kuiu replaced it with a Gen2. When I called to arrange the replacement, the lady at the other end of the phone said they were targeted toward guides, and intended to last for only a season of guiding. Not good for me.
My SO Evo has become my #1 pack, and while it's dirty, and it's developed a squeek that I have to trouble shoot, it's trucked along without significant problem. The only call I made to SeekOutside was to compliment them on the material lining their inner hipbelts. The inner lining is durable and grips well to hold the load up in place. Guy I spoke to said he helped design the pack and they were especially happy to have found that material.
i agree on durability of kuiu packs.... mine got shredded in short order, squeaked bad after a few months, and for myself, doesn't haul weight as well as the other high end haulers by a large margin. i ended up buying a new belt and suspension for it and decided to see it, and sold it for 200 bucks, and it took a couple weeks to move even at the "fast sale" price.

i have not put a ton of mileage on my SO peregrine yet, but it's very obvious it's a whole different category of durability (oh yeah, that kuiu ate load lifter straps like crazy!) the SO packs are solid built packs, a legit load hauler that is built tough.

i'm a pack junky, and my SO is gonna be my blacktail hunting pack, because it's wet here in oct/nov, and i'm between 3-7 miles from my rig when i kill a buck, so a waterproof pack that handles more weight than i will need to carry is a big asset. i love their accessories too, and once you dial it in, it's easy to use.

my 3 current packs are my SO peregrine, EXO 3500 k2, and a MR popup 18, love them all for their niche, all super tough.

i don't dislike kuiu, i own lots of their stuff and their raingear and gaiters are the best there is for your money, but i'm just not a fan of their packs.... i wanted to be, but they just don't hold up on the coast or haul heavy loads well at all on my back.

wildernessmaster, thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts/experiences, good read. i certainly am not discrediting your great write up/review.... just giving more feedback.

i agree with you, whatever pack you have and love, keep loving.... packs are very personal in fit and comfort..... they are all different for sure.

brsnow

WKR
I love my seek outside pack, I just picked up a SG evo 3300 as a back up. That being said my old kuiu ultra 1800 has packed out more elk than my current packs have.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have a SO Revolution Fortress 6,300 and the absence of an entry point, other than from the top, is exactly why I wanted it. Where I am, it is wet and I wanted to limit the infiltration of water into the contents of the bag. The Fortress accomplishes that. Should I decide to add the option of easier access, all I need to do is get a Goshawk or Saker bag.

I do like the idea of being able to reconfigure lash points to my liking and for that particular outing. SO allows me to do that. Obviously, something with flexibility of use has a longer learning curve but it's worth it in the end.

Finally, I like the Flight series of packs and will be getting one in the near future. Kudos to SO for being so responsive to their users requests.

CoMtnMike

FNG
nice review. I bought a Lanner 1.5 years ago and I love it for backpacking and hunting. A few niggles with small things like the squeak (I tried body glide since I had it for my toes but only worked for a few days, I'll have to try a better wax) but overall it is awesome. Super comfortable as a daypack or carrying out more of an animal than I should in one go...

laclement

FNG
Thanks for the review. I’m also looking into a new pack. I was leaning towards exo but after reading a bit about SO packs I think I’ll go that way.

Dvl_Doc

FNG
Greetings Roksliders...

Introduction
--------------
3 years ago, after a lot of research, I decided to upgrade my backpacks to premium, game hauling packs. I was starting my journey into backpack hunting, and more specifically solo backpack hunting and was ready dive full bore into it. My research led me to both Seek Outside and KUIU packs as MY choice and I ended up buying some (yep got suckered into more than 1) of both.

In this post, I would like to share with my general thoughts about each, and some comparison of the two packs. In future posts, I plan on providing more detailed thoughts on each brand and the specific packs I own.

Before I go further, I want to say a few things... First, I abso-freakin-lutely love both brands. If you asked me to give up either - I couldn't. They are both very different (as I will share). Anything I say in part of full negative about either brand is only a gnat-on-a-dogs-arse of negativity. I love both. Second, no I am not sponsored, endorsed or remunerated in way by either company. I bought everything I own with my own freaking benjamins! Finally, there are other great packs out there. Yes I considered Kifaru, SG, Mystery Ranch and others. After years of humping bags, though, and being "an old guy" - I knew what mattered to me, and these two companies backpacks lined up best - FOR ME.

This is in no way a "caliber war" of backpacks. Backpacks are uniquely "human". Every one does not work for everyone! So if you love your SG, MR, or other wise - keep lovin!

Mac vs Windows (Well....)
----------------------------
Unfortunately (or fortunately) my "day job" involves a lot of technology. So I am going to go propeller head on you a bit.

Remember the commercials in the early 2000's about Mac and how easy Mac computers are... In those commercials Macs were portrayed as easy compared to MS Windows, didn't break as often, and well just worked for humans.

Well that is not what I am going to make here...

So why do I bring that up?

In the techie world Windows is considered the MacDonalds of operating systems - cheap, over consumed, and utterly without caloric value. However there is another operating system, called Linux, that is complex, elegant, and is the virtuoso swiss army knife of operating systems (you can do ANY thing with it!). Its an amazing system.

Entre Mac vs Linux...

In this corner is the Linux computer. Small; can run on any freaking hardware you can find; elegantly built; runs the freakin space shuttle (actually runs many nuke simulations); can leap tall buildings in a single bound - oh and eats tacks and spits out nails. Unless you are a true propeller head you will never get the value of it because its hard to learn, and sometimes even more difficult to use.

In this corner is the Mac computer. Moderate sized; runs on proprietary hardware; is elegantly built; makes movies, songs, and digital art that wows you; can leap tall buildings in a single bound (but you would never know it) - looks cool and makes you the coolest, smartest guy on the block. Anyone can use a Mac... so much so, Mac users are often called "Mac Idiots" by the propeller heads!

That's essentially the same comparison in a nutshell of Seek Outside and Kuiu packs.

Both packs are amazing packs. They are well built, tough and can take a licking. Both packs can accomplish pretty much any mission I put them through. So which is which?

Well...

Seek Outside is the linux of the pack world, and Kuiu is the Mac. Yep that sums it up.

The first time I received my Seek Outside pack, I literally had to call their help line to use it. Now remember, I spent 13 years in Special Forces in the days before "great packs". In fact, a lot of the pack ideas you guys use regularly these days came out of our taking our packs to riggers and making those mods - before people thought of them.

So for me to swallow my pride and have to call for help was a big thing.

In part this was due to the number of exposed features on the pack. Literally every aspect of the pack is exposed so you can use it how you want it. This is part of the power of the Seek Outside product. It is literally infinitely diversely usable (are those really words) (and did I just string those together??). There is no part of the Seek Outside pack system you can't use the way you want.

Like Linux I can use my Seek Outside product in crazy ways... elegant ways... any way I want. I can strap things to it how I want. I can add things to it how I want. A swiss army knife, thermo-nuclear bomb of a pack!

On the other hand... The first time I got a Kuiu pack, I was able to completely take the pack apart and use it in the normal ways I planned on using the bag without even cracking open any user guides or videos. Trust me that was very fortunate, because the first Kuiu pack I got went straight to the field and I was quickly "load hauling" game out.

The down side to this ease of use, though, is it hides some of its capabilities, as well as limits some of the diverse usages. I can't always attach things where-ever, however I want.

Mac vs Linux...

Oh here is a secret I didn't share in my Mac and Linux descriptions. Mac's are actually Linux (well an early variant of Linux at the core). What Apple did was steal that variant (yep pretty much) and wrap the power house capability with idiot-proof, ease of use.

Guess what there is a market for both.

Now Kuiu didn't steal anything, but pretty much when you dissect these two pack systems, Seek Outside gives you access to "the bare metal" of its system. Kuiu has as robust of system, but wraps it with a more user/consumer friendly package.

Pros/Cons of Each Pack System
----------------------------------

Both Pack Systems:
- Both are some of the lightest on the market for meat/game haulers
- Both are "break away" bags that allow for integrating loads of game meat.
- Both are high quality products (all of mine have "worn" well).
- Both were the more "bang for buck" bags (IMHO) of premium bags I researched.
- Both feel very comfortable under loads. Note: Each carries differently and this could be an area your body style may find one is better than the other.
- Both stand behind their products!

Seek Outside Pros:
- Unlimited usage of every aspect of the pack system. Kind of the lego's of packs. Make any pack into anything you want.
- Tons of well thought out acccessories, add-ons, etc.
- (Mostly) Waterproof. The main bag is always Xpac
- No need to buy Seek Outside bow or gun slings to carry.
- Will carry the titanic.
- Variable load capacities for any given bag size. Because you can strap pockets, top bags, talons, your own suitcase - you freakin name it to a SO bag... Even if the base bag size is 3300 ci - you can carry about whatever you want.

Seek Outside Cons:
- Hard to use, sometimes hard to figure out.
- Extra cost in accessories
- You have to get the shoulder straps and hip sizes right to carry heavy
- Limited entry points into the bag system (top and sometimes full side)
- More "mechanic" work has to go into using the bag under different scenarios.
- Rarely can you snag a SO bag on a deal, even more rarely will you find a used one.

Kuiu Pros:
- Damn easy as hell to use. I can peel the bag off to haul meat in 30 seconds.
- Lots of zippers and entry points into the bag system.
- Lots of pockets on the bag. Well thought out pocket placement as well.
- Will carry the titanic
- Not a lot of extras to buy
- Different scenarios work pretty much the same.
- Can cruise their "outlet" and get deals on the bags and accessories.

Kuiu Cons:
- Can't accessorize much. Few additional add-ons
- Generally speaking you need to buy the Kuiu bow or gun sling to carry.
- Fixed load capacities. The bag plus pockets is close to what you get. Yes you can strap things, but the system is not as open to do so.
- When something doesn't work your options to make it work in the field are more limited.
- You have to buy and carry a rain cover.

My Final Thoughts
---------------------
As I said, I love both of these pack systems. Each fills a niche when I plan an outing. For instance, when I can only take 1 pack - its my SO Saker. It can do any profile of hunt from day pack to expedition. When I am doing "drop camp and hunt" hunting - I take my Icon 2300 bag (day pack kit) inside my Icon 5600 Pack (on frame). Then when I find a camp spot I drop the 5600 off the frame, pull the 2200 out of it and put it on the frame and hunt. Great system!

For the record here is what I have of each:

Kuiu: 1850, 2300 and 5600 bags with 2 harness & frames.
Seek Outside: 3300 Peregrine, 4800 Goshawk, 7400 Saker (full kits) plus a Broadwing and Fortress Bag (great for water ops).

I hope this helps others in their choices...

Luke Stephens aka Wilderness Master
Great post, very insightful and helpful!

"SO is the linux of the pack world"f -- OK I can get on board with that.

I have a handful of gucci packs, but generally only ever use my SO. So much so that I am thinking of getting a second one so I can have one ready for backpacking and one ready for the daily training I do with it.

Chris F

FNG
Didn't revisit this thread for a while, but see the great suggestions on troubleshooting my squeek. Addendum: My squeek went away on it's own. But if it comes back I have a few things in my bag of tricks now. I'm just back from an Axis hunt and ended up packing out four animals over the course of the hunt (two were mine, and one each for my son and my cousin). The SO Evo is still my favorite hunting pack. I got a MR Pop-up 28 which I thought looked great on paper with great feedback and reviews. The belt doesn't fit me well (nor my son). So the 28 didn't get tapped for this hunt. I need to work with the 28 because I want it to work. I also need to get those two freeloaders to get good packs of their own (the boy had a Pintler on this hunt which was probably too big for purpose, and the cousin had an Alice...he is now trying packs out of my collection).

Last edited:

JMalmy

FNG
Write ups like this are what REALLY make decisions more difficult! Haha *compliment*

I’ve been going back and forth between SG 5900 and SO Lanner or some combo of peregrine/talon. Reading this review makes my pendulum swing heavy towards SO. Talking with people I know makes me think SG.

Problem: I wanna try both on 🤣