Seek Outside Wingspan Pockets (UPDATED 11/13/2022) Modularity With Goshawk/Merlin Testing and Review

sndmn11

WKR
This scouting and hunting season @robby denning arranged for me to test out the modularity and functionality of Seek Outside's Wingspan Pockets https://seekoutside.com/wingspan-pocket/

I will be using these in multiple configurations with a Goshawk, Merlin, lid, and load shelf on the Revolution frame. They arrived this week in time to go check some cameras today and worked out well to keep me organized and my laptop protected.

My goal is to have an initial review published by mid-August, so please chime in on what you're curious about, have questions on, or would like to see.

***Update 8/21/22*** Seek Outside Wingspan Pockets Review

Better pictures to come 😉
PXL_20220709_172115254~2.jpgPXL_20220709_174548402~2.jpgPXL_20220709_180706200.jpg

So far this hunting season, first week of September, the Wingspan Pockets have worked out great.

For day hunting archery elk, my wife has the tag so we set up one wingspan with her stuff (kill kit, rain coat, snacks, layers, etc), and one wingspan with my stuff (rain coat, layers, snacks, etc.). She is using her Seek Outside Revolution frame with just a Talon to carry her water bladder when we are together, and I carry both Wingspans. When we separate, she takes on her Wingspan and with the easy back and forth she is able to hunt most efficiently and quietly. I am still using the lid and load shelf. If we can fool a dumb one we will both be able to pack meat and will have all the gear we need. I suspect that as it gets colder, I will add the Merlin so I can carry a puffy and stool.
PXL_20220904_170901024.jpg

I did go on a backcountry Bighorn hunt to help on the spotter and carrying things. I packed in 5 days worth of gear to a base camp about 6 miles in, and dropped one Wingspan with supplemental gear, and used the other Wingspan as the food bag to hang. It worked out great and was the perfect size for this.

I continued on another 5 miles with just the Goshawk and two days worth of gear.
PXL_20220905_192809843.jpg

A ram was shot. The hunter and his other friends wanted to take a soak in a hot spring close by, so I carried all of the meat (four bone in quarters, backstops, and tenderloins) and my two day camp somewhere between 1.5-2 miles towards the trailhead while they did their thing and then caught up.
PXL_20220906_173324858.jpg

Once they caught up, I offloaded a rear quarter and tenderloins to another person then continued on to the basecamp with the other three quarters. At basecamp I offloaded a front quarter, added back both wingspans, and continued on with a front/rear/backstraps and my five day camp. I had started the pack in at about 10am on Monday, arrived at basecamp midday, spike camp in the afternoon, and they meat packing started about 10am on Tuesday. I packed in prepared for five days (6 days of meals because I am terribly fearful of being hungry) but ended up only eating two meals.

Final configuration for the 6 mile walk out from basecamp to trailhead. Goshawk 4800, both Wingspan Pockets, lid. Rear quarter, front quarter, backstops from a bighorn ram in meat/load shelf area.
PXL_20220906_221223283.jpg

Someone on another thread had asked about comfort level over 100lbs. I believe the first leg of the packet I was around or over 100lbs (30lbs camp + 80lbs meat). I won't tell you it was comfortable or enjoyable. I will tell you that me, myself, and I was the limiting factor in hiking speed as I have never trained for that load or had any desire to entertain it. I view this sort of thing in tiers of "comfort", "painful", and "injuring". I was not hurt/in serious pain and I was not injured; the limiting factor was my glutes burning and uphill pushes where I would need to pause.

Offloading one quarter brought things back to comfortable, and once we hit basecamp and I picked up the remainder of my gear in the Wingspans and offloaded the other quarter, left me right in my wheel house of efficiency. I weighed my pack when I got home, and my 5 day load out was at 33lbs with no water and I had brought my Kowa 884 and tripod in the house. I believe with the front/rear/backstraps added in I was probably carrying 70-80lbs. Before this trip, I did take the extra few minutes to put in the 4" extensions, making the frame height 28", and that was awesome. I have 100% confidence that the Revolution frame is up to any task that Man or Woman can throw at it and stay out of the above mentioned "injuring" and "painful" tiers.

The UltraPE400 and Spectra materials both proved to be waterproof (blood) and I used a handful of wet paper towels to wipe the dried blood off of them in a few minutes.

PXL_20220907_145841622.jpg

PXL_20220910_000343617.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220910_000343617.jpg
    PXL_20220910_000343617.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

CoStick

WKR
Thank you, I am very interested. I have a Merlin/revolution frame for day stuff and a new Unaweep, this might be amazing for both set ups

mark3

FNG
Looking forward to your review. I just received my Goshawk 6300 with Merlin this week. I'm very curious how a lid and wingspans could be configured with the Merlin for day hunts/hikes.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Looking forward to your review. I just received my Goshawk 6300 with Merlin this week. I'm very curious how a lid and wingspans could be configured with the Merlin for day hunts/hikes.
You bet! I am just down the road in Morrison if you want to come fiddle too.

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the unaweep 6300and two wing pockets, love it so far need o find the perfect fit though. love how lite weight it is and all of the space.

Hi @sndmn11 thank you for doing this! I have a question regarding utilising these accessories for a backpack hunt wherein you want an approach bag for final stalk.

I have been wondering. With 2 gatekeeper straps on each side, can a wingspan pocket be utilised as a mini approach bag in a functional way or would it be uncomfortable? Is the merlin the only real tool for this job from Seek? I mean detatched from frame?

Then I would really like to know if you could time yourself, how long would it take to: detatch Goshawk from frame, remove bag and attach wingspan to frame only in the centre?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Hi @sndmn11 thank you for doing this! I have a question regarding utilising these accessories for a backpack hunt wherein you want an approach bag for final stalk.

I have been wondering. With 2 gatekeeper straps on each side, can a wingspan pocket be utilised as a mini approach bag in a functional way or would it be uncomfortable? Is the merlin the only real tool for this job from Seek? I mean detatched from frame?

Then I would really like to know if you could time yourself, how long would it take to: detatch Goshawk from frame, remove bag and attach wingspan to frame only in the centre?

The short answer is that yes you "could" use the Wingspan pocket in singular form by adding two additional webbing straps to act as shoulder straps and end up with a pseudo approach pack. It would work. I also could go on a December elk hunt in my running shoes and they "could" work. I think if one were to source some alternate shoulder straps it would be better because I think if you had water and a kill kit, etc., in it with the 3/4" wide webbing as should straps that it would get annoying fast.

I also think that the Merlin is about perfect for what most would describe as an approach pack, and I have had one (in tan cordura form) for about five years now and use it every day in the field and the street.

I should be finishing up my review this weekend, and will time this a few different ways. However, I believe I could detach the Goshawk or any revolution bag from the frame, whether full or empty, in less than 5min and possibly half that. I think it is only two or three gatekeepers per side and one up top. The Wingspan attaches directly to the frame and would not need to be removed in order to remove the Goshawk.

PXL_20220810_233556334.jpgPXL_20220810_233708018.jpgPXL_20220810_233807334.jpg

The short answer is that yes you "could" use the Wingspan pocket in singular form by adding two additional webbing straps to act as shoulder straps and end up with a pseudo approach pack. It would work. I also could go on a December elk hunt in my running shoes and they "could" work. I think if one were to source some alternate shoulder straps it would be better because I think if you had water and a kill kit, etc., in it with the 3/4" wide webbing as should straps that it would get annoying fast.

I also think that the Merlin is about perfect for what most would describe as an approach pack, and I have had one (in tan cordura form) for about five years now and use it every day in the field and the street.

I should be finishing up my review this weekend, and will time this a few different ways. However, I believe I could detach the Goshawk or any revolution bag from the frame, whether full or empty, in less than 5min and possibly half that. I think it is only two or three gatekeepers per side and one up top. The Wingspan attaches directly to the frame and would not need to be removed in order to remove the Goshawk.

View attachment 438300View attachment 438301View attachment 438302
that's great to see a visual comparison of the two. Thank you!

CoMtnMike

FNG
thanks for your review, really interesting. I too was confused by SO not continuing the brooks - I love that pack configuration as my dad pack mule on the way in and then day pack exploring from camp, even hunted with it. the new stand alone side pocket option could be a neat add on for the 4800 size bag when you need more - I have the merlin, but it doesnt add that much volume and it moves it weight further back from your spine vs the side pockets would keep it in close - wide is better than deep sometimes.

Great review @sndmn11. Seems like they add a lot of versatility to customise your pack set up as you see fit. My assessment is that they are not essential or game changing but can be very useful.

I think the logical move for future buyers like myself is to buy the packbag without wingspan pockets to see what modifications would be ideal, and then acquiring a wingspan/2 wingspan/merlin/lid accordingly.

Especially given the large size of the main bags, you can get by.

That being said, great review explaining the specifics of how the pockets work and potential uses, quality checks etc..

Thank you!

I may have to buy some of these and fit them to my SG pack.

I really liked the Saker/Brooks bag and concept, but their frame was uncomfortable for me with heavier loads. If its just a matter of sewing a couple loops onto my frame that doesn't sound that hard to make work.

It's not that I need the extra room... the organization aspect seems nice.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Here are some pics that didn't make the review but might be helpful for whatever reason.

PXL_20220730_225513273.jpgPXL_20220730_225517911.jpgPXL_20220730_230235162.jpg

The 1" pals webbing made it an easy thing to have both hip pockets and a pistol. What I liked about the revamped hip pockets was that they don't dip below the belt like the old ones (hitting your thigh if you are stepping high) and the zipper is on top making one hand use easy. I ended up ordering a right side pocket due to how the front strap is a wrap and the rear a pals/molle thing, so my pistol or a water bottle pocket can still fit closer to the frame. BIG improvement on the hip pockets.
PXL_20220730_233244080.jpgPXL_20220730_233408893.jpgPXL_20220730_233511206.jpg

I also weighed everything on the cheap plastic kitchen scale.
Wingspan 5.8oz
Goshawk 4800 WITH side zip 1lb 2oz
Spectra Merlin 12oz
Revolution frame with load shelf and 2" extensons and lumbar pad 2lb 14oz
Lumbar pad 3oz
Hip pocket 1.8oz
Lid with security pocket and two straps 5.5oz
Load shelf 2.2oz

CoMtnMike

FNG
curious, when do you think you would use the merlin + 2wingspans + lid instead of the lighter and simpler goshawk 4800 bag? seems all the parts and zippers give organization but have to undo multiple straps to get to stuff vs the zipper on the goshawk... I do like adding wingspan or merlin to the main bag for capacity and organization, but seems with all that the main bag might work better. I wish I could downsize enough to hunt archery elk with just Merlin and lid, but never seem to, but would probably add the main bag back on vs the wingspans for the day hunting activity... unless dropping camp in the main bag and hunting gear is in the extras or something...

curious, could you fit quilt, pad and light tarp shelter in a wingspan? Essentially a camp compartment to drop?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
curious, when do you think you would use the merlin + 2wingspans + lid instead of the lighter and simpler goshawk 4800 bag? seems all the parts and zippers give organization but have to undo multiple straps to get to stuff vs the zipper on the goshawk... I do like adding wingspan or merlin to the main bag for capacity and organization, but seems with all that the main bag might work better. I wish I could downsize enough to hunt archery elk with just Merlin and lid, but never seem to, but would probably add the main bag back on vs the wingspans for the day hunting activity... unless dropping camp in the main bag and hunting gear is in the extras or something...

curious, could you fit quilt, pad and light tarp shelter in a wingspan? Essentially a camp compartment to drop?
I did do the math on weights and realized that Merlin/Wingspans was heavier than a Goshawk, I also think they are more expensive than just a Goshawk,

I like the organization for day hunts. When using my Saker, I would stick my kill kit and puffys in the bottom of the main, and everything else in the sides, then still would generally take a merlin or blaze talon with stuff in it. From that perspective, the main bag is really just an extra pound since I don't necessarily look at it as a this or that. With the functionality of the load shelf on the Revolution frame, I think going without the Goshawk will be fine, potentially even going without the Merlin.

DST in sil, WM astralite quilt, klymit slv luxe insulated, Exped pillow, and bag of stakes = yes
PXL_20220822_235241519.jpgPXL_20220822_235305081.jpg

DCF cimarron and above quilt; couldn't fit the pad in there as is but very slim maybe it could happen if I use other compression bags and straps.
PXL_20220822_235458749.jpg

Last edited:

CoMtnMike

FNG
nice, I like the camp in a pocket option with the dst! That dcf cimarron would be sweet! I have the regular one but not super light once all set up and the sil sag gets old... dcf would fix both but put a hole in my wallet.... ;P

Thats the kind of organization I was imagining. Putting camp in a pocket/two pockets and being able to drop the weight off entirely once you get where you're going... or, emptying those pockets, and now you have an easy to access food pocket and another pocket for whatever.

The bag explosion at camp no matter how well you pack and organize is annoying at best. It would be nice to be able to avoid that altogether - or reduce it as much as possible.

If I did this right, I could also drop my bag altogether for day hunts and be left with a 2400ci "day pack" consisting of two wings that weighs a little over 3lbs with the SG frame.