Seek outside X-21 ?

CoStick

WKR
Hi, was curious if anyone is using this material, looking for feedback on durability and general experience. I have had bags in their spectra and x42 already. Thank you

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Compared to X42 and Spectra...it's as waterproof as X42, but lighter. It's louder than Spectra, and probably not as abrasion resistant.

We started with VX21 in 2012, it later became X21 with the removal of the inner scrim. It's a known entity that we're comfortable with.

Rokwiia

WKR
I currently have X-42 in the breakway platform and an X-21 in the integrated platform. I had an X-33 but sold it. The X-42 has a softer, more supple, feel to it and, as RC30 mentioned, is quieter than X-21. It is also more abrasion resistant and will take more of a licking. I think it is bombproof.

X-21 is definitely lighter and there is a lot to be said for that. You feel every ounce when trekking long miles. The tradeoff is it is a little noisier and may not be as durable over the long haul. That said, I've had it out several times a week this year, put it through the paces in muck and mire, and it still looks new. And I mean brand new. Nothing has slashed it nor poked holes through it. I'm impressed.

The weight savings of X-21 in a 4,800 pack is 4oz so I would guess the weight savings of the X-21 in a 6,300-size bag is around 5.5-6oz. RC30 could probably tell you exactly.

If the slightly noisier fabric isn't an issue, it boils down to how important saving 4-6oz in weight is to you. I haven't had the X-21 out for years but out a good 50 times this year and it has performed well with no wear or abrasion issues. For disclosure purposes, I am trekking in more of a wet, thickly-vegetated area than a dry, rocky climate. Abrasion is really not a concern for me but might be for you if you're in a different environment.

• Banned
OP
C

CoStick

WKR
I currently have X-42 in the breakway platform and an X-21 in the integrated platform. I had an X-33 but sold it. The X-42 has a softer, more supple, feel to it and, as RC30 mentioned, is quieter than X-21. It is also more abrasion resistant and will take more of a licking. I think it is bombproof.

X-21 is definitely lighter and there is a lot to be said for that. You feel every ounce when trekking long miles. The tradeoff is it is a little noisier and may not be as durable over the long haul. That said, I've had it out several times a week this year, put it through the paces in muck and mire, and it still looks new. And I mean brand new. Nothing has slashed it nor poked holes through it. I'm impressed.

The weight savings of X-21 in a 4,800 pack is 4oz so I would guess the weight savings of the X-21 in a 6,300-size bag is around 5.5-6oz. RC30 could probably tell you exactly.

If the slightly noisier fabric isn't an issue, it boils down to how important saving 4-6oz in weight is to you. I haven't had the X-21 out for years but out a good 50 times this year and it has performed well with no wear or abrasion issues. For disclosure purposes, I am trekking in more of a wet, thickly-vegetated area than a dry, rocky climate. Abrasion is really not a concern for me but might be for you if you're in a different environment.
Thank you, as much as weight matters, I think the added durability and less noise might win out. Thank you

• Banned
OP
C

CoStick

WKR
Compared to X42 and Spectra...it's as waterproof as X42, but lighter. It's louder than Spectra, and probably not as abrasion resistant.

We started with VX21 in 2012, it later became X21 with the removal of the inner scrim. It's a known entity that we're comfortable with.
Thank you, appreciate the insight.