seek outside

hello all . new to this site . ive been looking into packs . narrowed it down to kifaru and seek outside. i like the watwrproof bags of seek outside but im wondering how durable they are. at the same time kifaru looks hard to beat . right now leaning towards SO because i also will get a tent from them . any reveiws or comments will be appreciated!

stonewall

WKR
Idk about so. Kifaru has a great reputation. I personally wouldn’t worry about waterproofness. You can use a rain cover if need be.

there is a backpack section - you might get more insightful responses there

welcome to rokslide

rob86jeep

WKR
Kifaru also has more waterproof/water resistant packs if that's what you want. I will say don't get caught up on getting a Seek pack just because you're getting a Seek tent. Just because you love one companies product in tents, doesn't mean you'll love their packs as well (not saying anything bad about Seek packs though).

I don’t have any experience with SO but I packed out about 5 miles in a steady drizzle where everything I had on was soaked and everything in my Kifaru Reckoning was was totally dry. I got back to my pickup and put on warm dry clothes I had inside my pack. I’m sure at some point the water would have saturated my pack but in the time it took me to get back to my truck it was completely dry inside.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bottom line is both make very nice packs. The SO has attributes that are desirable- they tend to be one of the lightest packs and offered in near waterproof fabrics; Kifaru while heavier probably handles the very heavy loads better and with more robust fabrics, more durable under very adverse conditions.

I own two Seek Outside packs and have no complaints.

Personally I would order both (I'm 99% sure you can send either back if they are only used to try on around the house); take a close look at them and more importantly, see how the fit/feel is with various loads.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
What is the main purpose of the pack? How the pack will carry your intended loads is more important than how waterproof your pack is. I have about a dozen different packs, lol. But for hunting I rely on one type of pack that is versatile and can carry very heavy loads comfortably for me. That system for me is KUIU pack. Can swap out bags for day hunts or multi day backcountry hunts. Or just use the frame and load sling for packing meat.

But if I don’t plan on carrying heavy loads of meat and am going light on a backcountry fishing trip, I have an Arcteryx pack that is super comfortable. It fits my non-hunting gear well and have carried it for hundreds of miles through the high country.

Backcountry skiing I have two different packs depending on whether it is a day trip or a multi day trip.

Climbing brings out a whole other type of packs systems. Depends on type of climb and locations.

So, how/where you will be using the pack is important. I don’t like using my hunting pack for other non-hunting purposes because I have a number of items that live in that pack that are specific to my hunting trips that I don’t necessarily need for other types of trips.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I have Exo, SG and Seek Outside. I've never tried a Kifaru pack. Here's what I can contribute.

SO is being absolutely serious when they say the amount you can carry on your back is limited by you, not the frame on a SO pack. I'm not as big a fan of the SO hipbelt (I prefer their quad buckle over two single buckles) as I am of Exo or SG though. It's solid and locks in correct, just not as comfortable on the front of my body as others.

OP
Silvercreek1999
What is the main purpose of the pack? How the pack will carry your intended loads is more important than how waterproof your pack is. I have about a dozen different packs, lol. But for hunting I rely on one type of pack that is versatile and can carry very heavy loads comfortably for me. That system for me is KUIU pack. Can swap out bags for day hunts or multi day backcountry hunts. Or just use the frame and load sling for packing meat.

But if I don’t plan on carrying heavy loads of meat and am going light on a backcountry fishing trip, I have an Arcteryx pack that is super comfortable. It fits my non-hunting gear well and have carried it for hundreds of miles through the high country.

Backcountry skiing I have two different packs depending on whether it is a day trip or a multi day trip.

Climbing brings out a whole other type of packs systems. Depends on type of climb and locations.

So, how/where you will be using the pack is important. I don’t like using my hunting pack for other non-hunting purposes because I have a number of items that live in that pack that are specific to my hunting trips that I don’t necessarily need for other types of trips.
elk hunting is the primary purpose of the pack for me . i need a 10 day pack that can be turned into a daypack and capable of caryying 200 pounds of meat

OP
Silvercreek1999
I have Exo, SG and Seek Outside. I've never tried a Kifaru pack. Here's what I can contribute.

SO is being absolutely serious when they say the amount you can carry on your back is limited by you, not the frame on a SO pack. I'm not as big a fan of the SO hipbelt (I prefer their quad buckle over two single buckles) as I am of Exo or SG though. It's solid and locks in correct, just not as comfortable on the front of my body as others.
thanks for the response. how durable are the bags on the SO pack . thats my biggest concern because i know the frame is solid

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the response. how durable are the bags on the SO pack . thats my biggest concern because i know the frame is solid
I think they are fairly comparable. I've never made any sacrifices on where I'll poke my head through based on the back I was wearing and have yet to be disappointed. I also use my SO for winter ice fishing when hiking out because of the waterproof material, and I have carried out augers and drills without issue and they have a lot more things that could damage a pack than most stuff I've walked through.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

The new 4 -1 single should be your huckleberry .. it is the best of both

Mudd Foot

WKR
Having owned both, the major difference is the design philosophy centered around the frames of these two brands. Dave Chenault of Bedrock and Paradox blog wrote a treatise several years ago describing in detail the mechanical load bearing differences. My own experiences with both brands and both frame styles mirror Dave’s research. The anecdotal reviews (meaning not part of a scientifically enumerated/measured study) appear to concur with Dave’s findings as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Bogh are good packs, but you are talking very different design philosophies. I find Kifaru to be heavy and have more pockets than I like. The simplicity of Exo and SO bags are more to my liking. SO wins for wieght.

SO or Kifaru will serve you well, get the one that fits you best and has the bag design you like. If you can, order both and return the one you don't like as much.

I used to own a Kifaru, and switched to SO (I have a 6300 Fortress). As other's have said, both are great packs - but like boots and other gear, some folks will like one brand and its attributes over another. I really like the weight and waterproofness of my SO - the Fortress is a very basic large roll top bag with no zipper made of PacX (its the pack in my profile pic). Once seam sealed its hard to get more waterproof or lighter than that.

I really liked my Kifaru (I had a hunter frame with a High Camp 7000 bag). My only real knock against Kifaru, and it may have only been specific to this bag, is that their listing of volume was way off. There was no way it was a 7000ci bag - and that was obvious when you started looking at the dimensions. I'd guess my SO Fortress 6300 is easily 30% bigger than my Highcamp 7000 was.

But really the biggest difference is how these to manufacture's frames fit and ride. They are very different. The Kifaru, to me, has heavier padding around the belt, harness, lumbar, and back - and your body is more "married" to the frame. You may like/prefer this - you may not. IMO one won't inherently carry a heavier load than the other - except to the extent one style fits you better. They will both carry more than I enjoy/want to carry very far. Even though its a bit of a PITA, the best bet it to try each out - either locals who will let try theirs out or ordering each and testing them out in your living room keeping the one you prefer. They are just different animals....

I preferred the fit, weight, and waterproofness of my SO over my Kifaru - but I could easily see how someone else could like a Kifaru better. Good luck with whichever choice you make!