Seeking Advice on 7MM Rem Mag Reduced Recoil OTC Load

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,

Seeking any information on any factory-produced 7mm Rem Mag Reduced Recoil loads that may be out there. I am planning on hunting elk with full-sized loads, but honestly, small bodied deer in Virginia don't need that much power, and neither does my shoulder. For context, I'm shooting out of a Kimber Mountain Ascent and really need to bring the recoil down for when I'm shooting 6 deer on my Virginia tag. I know Hornady used to have 7mm rem mag in the Custom Lite series, but no longer. I'm sure Remington itself did a version with the 'reduced recoil' loads, but I don't want to run a Core-Lokt through this gun and they are very hard to find retail. Hopefully this is in the right section. Not looking for handload advice at this time, hoping to avoid that rabbit hole if at all possible. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Ultraheight

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Why not a Cor-Lokt? midway has them for $31/box.
It's a good question and I may well end up doing this. I have seen hundreds of deer go down hard by core lokt, but the reality is that every so often these blunt soft tips do weird things on contact with game (completely disintegrate/bounce off shoulder blades when shot at bad angles/blow up on contact with a pinky sized twig) and are not very accurate at range. I would suspect at lower speeds these issues could get worse. Also they are just not quality bullets and can negatively affect your rig's accurancy over time if you push a ton of them through your barrel. This is my first time spending over $1500 on a rifle and just want to be pushing quality ammo through it. But again, may well do this.

260madman

WKR
I haven’t had an issue with accuracy in my 7RM or 260s when shooting crappy Cor-Lokts. Terminal performance wise the 120gr 6.5s weren’t the best when I first looked at the buck I shot but then I went back and looked at where he was shot and the distance and really I couldn’t complain because they behaved better than Hornadys I’ve used.

Those reduced loads are 2710fps and have the BC of the pillow you sleep on so I’m doubting you’re wanting to shoot 400 yards with them.

For reduced loads I use 120gr NBTs with a Ramshot powder. Easier on the shoulder than a full house 150gr load.

MortJ

FNG
Hornady makes a nice 154 grain. Federal fusion 150gr is a great bullet. Also recommend a limb saver on your rifle. Takes the snap out of the 7mm.20200416_142851.jpg