Seeking advice on roof racks/cross bars/storage

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I'm taking the family for a month-long trip this summer and plan to be loaded down pretty hard in our VW Atlas. I'm looking into rooftop storage options and immediately see you can spend $70 or $300 on cross bars. What gives?

I'm also curious about people's experience with a soft rooftop cargo bag vs. hardside boxes. I like the idea of not having to store a big hardside box year-round, but I can't see how a soft bag won't sound like a freight train overhead for the 14 hours we'll be on the road.

Any recommendations and advice appreciated.

tuffcity

WKR
Yakima or Thule.... go cheap and you might see it flying down the highway at the most inconvenient of times....

My kevlar canoe rides on Thule.

elkguide

WKR
Thule fan here. I have run a Thule racks on my trucks for years as a house painter and have had way to many ladders on them and they keep on holding up.

I’m ordering Thule for my wives Subaru ascent. I’ve had Yakima in the past and no issues. Look at the load rating of the car. That could limit your options too. As most hard boxes are 50lbs or more and counts towards your total weight.

I have a strict no roof storage policy. Buy a good carrier that goes in the tow hitch. You will lose a significant amount of fuel mileage by putting something on your roof.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I have a strict no roof storage policy. Buy a good carrier that goes in the tow hitch. You will lose a significant amount of fuel mileage by putting something on your roof.
I would do this but we are hauling a canoe and SUP on a trailer

dtrkyman

WKR
I bought cheap Amazon aero bars for my jeep, been on there since 2013 no issues!

Have a smaller Inno roof box I bought on craigslist, works well and no noise unless you open the moon roof, which I never do at highway speeds!

Also have a hitch cargo box, stow away 2 with swing out bar, sweet, got it used they are spendy new!

I’ve used a soft bag style as well as an old cheap hard side roof box, in my experience I prefer the soft bag style. I think the hard side was louder, harder to put on and a pain to store. The soft bag can just stay in the car until you need it.

Rich M

WKR
I would do this but we are hauling a canoe and SUP on a trailer
Put the stuff on the trailer - lotsa room in/under the canoe.

When I was a kid - dad built a plywood box for stuff when we had a van full of folks on a 3 day ride. Might be cheaper than buying something, and can be repurposed when you get back.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Put the stuff on the trailer - lotsa room in/under the canoe.

When I was a kid - dad built a plywood box for stuff when we had a van full of folks on a 3 day ride. Might be cheaper than buying something, and can be repurposed when you get back.

Yeah, stuff will be in the canoe. We need more room.
Long trip+small kids+black lab = tons of crap

We waited on some deals, coupons, and gift cards to get into a Thule bar setup and hard box (Motion XT). Haven’t done a trip with it yet but pretty impressed by the ease of getting it on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Thule setup. I was able to piece it together cheap from Ebay and craigslist. I have the real wide bars so I can put 2 kayaks flat, or 1 hard box and a platform. They are great and the rocket box does not effect my mileage more than .5 mpg. Storing the hard box is a pain, but I was worried the soft bag would flap and mar my paint.

I am the sales manager/internet sales/ and inventory manager at a VERY busy Whitewater and Rec kayak shop. We install these everyday with boat packages.
I suggest thule or yakima. Don't look anywhere else. The problem is finding the materials to put on your vehicle.
Any special order components are backordered til august. And half of those will be pushed back.
Like in the posts above. Try to piece it together from Ebay, Craigslist....You can try me (johnny) at 4 Corners Riversports if you get stuck. I usually can find a rep that owes me a favor.

As for the box, try to work it onto your trailer. Set the SUP on its side supported by a vertical bar. Canoe next to it, and hopefully room for the box. As stated above, they kill your MPG's

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
I normally use Thule or Yakima with great results. Just bought a 2021 Chev Z71 Tahoe and neither company has bars available yet, so I had to go with the Amazon China-specials. Not my first choice but no other options available now. They've been surprisingly good with SUPs, a canoe and Yakima Rocket box. Quiet as well when nothing is on top.

Last edited:
Sounds like you bought the Thule, so that’s a solid choice. My only advice would be to do a good “test run” of 30-40 miles down a highway at 65-70mph. First time we did the roof rack and both soft and hard cargo storage - I was pulling over several times the first couple of hours thinking it sounded like everything was coming loose! It wasn’t at all, but the wind noise will take some getting used to and knowing that it’s normal. Good luck!