Seeking advise on a new rifle

If you’re concerned about weight consider the Kimber, just recognize most magnums don’t pair well with ultra-light rifles. The tikka in 300 win or wsm are great rifles but the same action/weight, I love mine and at your price point I’d start there. I like their stainless, throw on a break and cut down the barrel if you’re weight concerned, new stock and zeiss v4 and that puts you at 3k

My thought (since I just bought it) is the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon in a 6.8 Western.

I went with the Vortex Strike Eagle for the glass.

Have an Antelope tag, Mule Deer, Cow Elk & a Barbary Sheep that should put this combo through the paces...I am concerned about the Antelope given the weight / grain.

Good luck with your purchase!

I would highly recommend getting Alamo Precision Rifles to build you a 28 Nosler or 300PRC. The 28 Nosler would be my preferred choice of the two regardless of it's barrel life and ammo cost as it's a hunting rifle that will not get shot much. Use the other cheaper stuff as a training rifle. Worse case get a 7mm.

khuber84

WKR
I'd recommend a seekins havak. Get it in 7mag 28n, 300wm or 300prc. They'll all have more than enough juice to kill elk out past your comfort zone. If you want to be successful at say 700y, practice to 1000y and that'll make 700 completely undaunting. 28N ammo is quite expensive. 300wm and 300prc are a lot more affordable and the prc is actually pretty good ammo. 7 mag is on shelves everywhere. I have a 156eol load for my tikka creedmoor that does 2750 and shoots very accurately, I'd have no concerns using that on an elk out to 500y. That being said, if I'm elk hunting I usually carry a big 7,30,or 338. Last year I took my bull with the 6.5 saum, performance left disappointment, however that was due to bullet choice, not shot placement.

Hey all,

Disclaimer: I'm fairly ignorant to rifles as I've been bow hunting for the majority of my time.

All of these options have me overwhelmed. I'm going to liquidate a gun or two to get a nice rifle and some glass.

I currently have a 308 and 6.5 creedmoor but I want something that can reach out further.

I was looking at a 28/30 Nosler or 300 PCR as it seems to be the new craze but I don't reload and with all of the nonsense going on I'm afraid that I won't be able to find any ammo.

I have my eyes on a 300 WSM Ridgeline, shorter action and shorter barrel can save a few ounces. Paying that much I wonder if I should look into used custom long range rifles. I've also been reading about Christenson having some fit and finish problems but I understand that their customer service is great.

Edit: This is going to be for a western hunt for mule deer/elk, perhaps antelope eventually if the 6.5 creedmoor won't make do.

Sorry, this question has probably been asked hundreds of times but I can't find all that much I do on the Ridgeline specifically and I've definitely had buyers remorse on guns in the past.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I had a 300 wsm and it shot well. Depending on what you really think you want to do. My wsm is now getting converted into a 338 edge by my son. I personally have been using a 28 nosler custom built for elk and etc with 195 Berger’s and I won’t say how fast it is shooting but I will say that it shoots well and very hard with light recoil and bucks the wind good. Down side is that my 28 is a barrel burner so with that said I only check my zero compare it to ballistics at various ranges and let it alone. I never shoot it till barrel gets hot. It’s intended for one purpose and that it has done. The 300 PRC would also be a good choice and that is next on my sons bucket list. There is several good options as far as calibers. Just my two cents.

Tone.308

FNG
Go the tikka route! Spent hours talking to a gunsmith on what to get as my first rifle and he convinced me to get a tikka lite ss In .308 and I love it . Great platform rifle, light weight and can easily be turned into a custom rifle without paying the custom rifle price

khuber84

WKR
Go the tikka route! Spent hours talking to a gunsmith on what to get as my first rifle and he convinced me to get a tikka lite ss In .308 and I love it . Great platform rifle, light weight and can easily be turned into a custom rifle without paying the custom rifle price
I have a handful of tikkas, some factory some heavily customized. They have their applications, but Tikka is a horrible choice when entertaining the idea of a full length 3.6" plus magnum cartridge.

rootacres

WKR
No question that the 30 Nosler and 300 PRC are phenomenal cartridges. The 28 Nosler is ballistically superior, especially in factory loads but is known for being a barrel burner. With you already having a 6.5 creed and .308 I think a 30 cal magnum would be great. I too have owned a 300 WSM, mine was also a Ridgeline. I have nothing but good things to say about that rifle and the one time I had to call their CS they were very responsive (the reason for the call was a mistake on my end). I think I could make a good case for the 300 WSM being the best all around cartridge in the lower 48. My Ridgeline pushed 180gr accubonds with my moderate reloads at 2950 fps and shot repeatable 3/4 MOA (with me behind the trigger*).

The only reason I parted ways with the Ridgeline was to help fund my own custom build. I now have a one off 7mm SAUM that's legit 1/2 MOA.