Seeking advise on a new rifle

Refund

FNG
Hey all,

Disclaimer: I'm fairly ignorant to rifles as I've been bow hunting for the majority of my time.

All of these options have me overwhelmed. I'm going to liquidate a gun or two to get a nice rifle and some glass.

I currently have a 308 and 6.5 creedmoor but I want something that can reach out further.

I was looking at a 28/30 Nosler or 300 PCR as it seems to be the new craze but I don't reload and with all of the nonsense going on I'm afraid that I won't be able to find any ammo.

I have my eyes on a 300 WSM Ridgeline, shorter action and shorter barrel can save a few ounces. Paying that much I wonder if I should look into used custom long range rifles. I've also been reading about Christenson having some fit and finish problems but I understand that their customer service is great.

Edit: This is going to be for a western hunt for mule deer/elk, perhaps antelope eventually if the 6.5 creedmoor won't make do.

Sorry, this question has probably been asked hundreds of times but I can't find all that much I do on the Ridgeline specifically and I've definitely had buyers remorse on guns in the past.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 300 wsm and I love it. In my opinion it is a great all around caliber that has a pretty good selection of factory ammo. I have been able to find some (ammo) that wasn't overly priced in the past year.

I had a rifle built for me by my local gunsmith. I bought all of the parts and paid him to put it together. It ended up costing me around 1500 I think. I have wanted a "custom" rifle for quite some time so I am glad I had that one built. Some of these factory rifles these days are very impressive and if you aren't reloading you may not see a huge difference between factory and custom. I don't personally have any experience with the high end factory rifles so I can't speak to that. I can say that for the money, a tikka is one heck of a rifle.

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
I have loved my Bergara Wilderness Ridge in 7mm Rem Mag. I would save some $ on the rifle over the Christenson and put it into better glass.

LightFoot

WKR
Buy ammo first.... then rifle.

Any .284 or .308 magnum will do what you want.

Almost all rifles are good nowadays. Pick the features you want... like, ceramic coating, threaded, short bolt throw, etc...

I have NEVER known anybody that had a bad experience with Tikka. Browning HC Speed is a good buy. My buddy and I have Savage Ultralites which is also a great buy.

However, if I have to only have one rifle, it would be a Blaser R8..... pricey, though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
R

Refund

FNG
I don't think that right now would be the time to invest in reloading with the cost of everything being so high, especially those primers. I bought some shotgun primers for my muzzleloader for like 5x the normal price after going to multiple locations.

I would love to mess around with Nosler or 300 PRC but I just don't have the time or money.

I figured 300 WSM is a fairly popular round, it would be easier to find some different factory load options to see what whatever gun I end up going with likes to eat.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Tikka actions, on a different forum guys seem to buy the more affordable Tikkas just to trash everything and build off of the action pretty frequently.

OP
R

Refund

FNG
Just had to look up the r8, no wonder I've never heard of it—20k is a heck of a price tag lol..

I'm just looking for something on the lighter end, stainless or cerakoted, something that I can potentially grow into if I ever get into reloading but at the same time trying not to break the bank.

Unfortunately, the closest range over 200 yards is about a 2 hours ride from me. There's a 1k range about 2.5 hours away that I hope offers some classes.

As for glass, I'm probably going to be looking at one of the more affordable mark 5s or a vortex

LightFoot

WKR

The "professional" ("pro") is more "affordable."

I have the pro and the pro success. They have never let me down with accuracy or reliability. You can take it apart, put it in a case, and it returns to zero every single time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
5996e082c71104252e9379be771a5e58.jpg
490c04c2cb781454eb048f9e0ed79211.jpg
3bea0eb4f57724f50316111462bc16e7.jpg

788b05fab3430fbb6179609e76a8c172.jpg

Last edited:
A budget would be helpful.. I would suggest some research and “building” a gun yourself. With the options available today unless you have more money than time do it yourself and you’ll have the exact rifle you want for 2/3 the cost.

OP
R

Refund

FNG
Pro success for sure, those are some beautiful animals.

I'm not sure what building a bolt action would entail, there doesn't seem to be much info on building one oddly enough.. Makes me assume it's either really difficult or really easy. I've build a few ARs but I doubt it's comparable.

I like the manners style stocks with a more vertical grip, a carbon fiber barrel would be nice either Proof or Christenson but not a total deal breaker, I would probably have to pay a Smith to do the bedding.

The cost of the barrel and a good action have me hung up, seems like I could buy a Ridgeline or Mesa for the price of those two things.

I'm trying to spend less than 2k on the rifle.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to get a good deals on Leupold and Vortex, I'd like to be able to walk away under 3k for gun and glass.

Edit: wouldn't be upset if I came in under 3k

The reason I was leaning towards the Ridgeline is because it seems to be the best rifle feature wise while still keeping the cost pretty low. A lot of the companies that sell "custom"/semi-custom rifles seem to be upwards of 5k.

Last edited:

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Alamo makes some nice rifles and you can spec what you want so don’t have to worry about what you have to get. You can also do as stated above and have smith build from components. I think any 1-2K gun will do what you want but sometimes creature comfort plays more a role in what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can build an AR you can build a bolt gun. It’s virtually a lego set for grownups.

Depending on what action you would choose you would be looking at a prefit barrel or a barrel nut system. Bugholes is a good resource give the guy a call after you look up some videos and it’ll make sense.

Trued Remington action (one on here I believe for $500) so call it 5-600 or check out mackbros stainless action for 575. Bighorn origin would be a step up without spending a lot of money for 875

Triggertech primary 125 special 175

Stock manners with mini chassis 1200 or go with a KRG bravo for 400(full aluminum chassis)

Bartlein barrel prefit for a bugnut 580

Call it 17-1800ish if you go with the bravo so that gives you a couple hundred for barrel vise, action wrench, go/no go guage, recoil lug (Northland Shooters Supply is a good resource for this)

You will be slightly over on your first build with the tools but it gives you the equipment and knowledge to do this with a lot of those old guns in the back of the safe. I tinker so I enjoy it and have disposable time so it’s not for everyone but it can be a lot of fun.

6.5 Saum and 223 trainer

0C1AFEEE-A9EA-4928-B623-AAAEECF21562.jpegF380CB51-258F-40BB-A645-B63C34CDE3AB.jpeg

OP
R

Refund

FNG
I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Havaks too!

Keith, thanks so much for the detailed response. Beautiful blasters by the way!

You guys have me leaning towards my own build now. I haven't heard of Mac Bros until now, that's definitely more my price range for an action and it looks like a pretty solid action. As far as customs go, it seems like a lot of people build on Defiance Tenacitys and Bighorns.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I spend on anything on the build I think the right thing to do it on would be the barrel. I'll probably go with a proof if I go with a carbon or a Bartlein for stainless. I'll have to compare some weights and costs. If it's good enough for the record 1k shooter I'm sure it's good enough for me.

I'll do some more research on building and price out some options and compare them to the factory guns floating around in my head. If anybody is interested in my findings I'll be happy to share. Hopefully some rifle pics to come within the next few weeks!

Bartlein for stainless.
Don’t rule out bartleins cf options as well but sounds like your in for a fun adventure throw up some progress reports! Lot of sharp guys on here that I’m sure can help sort out about anything you’ll run into.

OP
R

Refund

FNG
Didn't even realize they had carbon wrapped, I didn't see it on their pricing page at a glance.

I'll need a time machine to deal with these turnover times.

kickemall

WKR
Ryan Avery and Ryan Furman just did a podcast about the .300 wsm on Avery Adventures. It would be worth a listen since your considering it.

wildcat33

WKR
Last time i was at sportsmans they had 6.5PRC, 28 Nosler, 6mm CM, and 416 rigby. Id go with PRC out of those choices!

OP
R

Refund

FNG
Ryan Avery and Ryan Furman just did a podcast about the .300 wsm on Avery Adventures. It would be worth a listen since your considering it.

Listening now, thank you!

Last time i was at sportsmans they had 6.5PRC, 28 Nosler, 6mm CM, and 416 rigby. Id go with PRC out of those choices!

I am unfortunate enough to live in the east. I don't know if I've ever seen Nosler on the shelf here. I can't say I've ever looked for PRC. Even 6.5 Creedmoor can be hard to find. I'm basically limited to the few online retailers that will ship to me.

Plenty of bird shot here though lol..