Seeking Base Layer Insight

Hey folks!

After several years of roasting on my way to the stand only to freeze within half an hour of sitting down, and the opposite, of freezing until 9AM rolled around then roasting within 10 minutes, I'm finally committing to building a proper whitetail layering system of quality gear. I'm happy to play the long game and build it over the next few years. My current outer layers (MidwayUSA and Academy field shirts and pants) aren't terrible and have served me well so far, but I've come to loath my base layers, or rather the guessing game of what combination to wear to stay warm enough without melting once full daylight comes. I get cold very easily and stay cold once it happens so I always tend to over layer, which I then pay for. Plus, the bulk of all those mismatched layers just gets old. With this in mind I'm looking to purchase a base layer top and bottom for this coming whitetail season. From what I've been reading from people's experiences on here and elsewhere, First Lite seems to have a slight edge in the base layer game in terms of fit and comfort so I'm giving them a hard look. However, I'm struggling with which model of base layer to purchase as they have several levels for varying temperatures. This is where I'm looking to y'all for help.

As I hail from upstate South Carolina and hunt primarily whitetail, I'm primarily seeking insight from those of you who use First Lite base layers and hunt in the Southeast, where its humid and where COLD is anything below 35 degrees. I hunt mostly public land and have anywhere from half to close to a mile hike-in to some of my areas so any insight from experience on how well they regulate temperature will be much appreciate as well. With that being said, I'll happily take any wisdom from folks outside the SE and from folks who use other brands. I'll be happy with any help I can get. Thanks!

Cold is one thing, humid cold is another as the moisture in the air just sucks heat from the body. But in short, you need to learn to layer better putting on your final layer in the field at your stand. Full zips are really nice for that.

For the 35 degree temp you mention, I generally wear FL lightest merino base layer. But if there is a lot of moisture in the air, like where I pig hunt, I will wear their medium merino. But we are all different and some may require their thick merino.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I also used to struggle with sweating on the way to the stand and then freezing in it. The key is understanding that just walking in any insulated clothing will make you overheat. I wear a light base layer and pant to the stand to minimize sweat, and then layer up as soon as I get in so I don't lose that heat that I generated on the walk in. I'll walk without outerwear even when temps are in the teens because I hate sweating on the hike in.

If you're going with First Lite, the Wick and Fuse are both great. I have them both and use them as a base layer all season long. Sitka Core Lightweight base layers are also great. I might add a FL Kiln or grid fleece layer on the walk in if it's really cold out.

Slappy

FNG
I stand hunt whitetail in upstate NY and have always struggled with my hunting clothes. This season I’ve invested in a proper layering system and am excited to see how it works.

FL Wick Crew
FL Klamath Hoody
Prana Zion Vest
FL Uncompahgre Jacket
UA long underwear
Wrangler outdoor pants
Darn Tough Socks
Salomon Quest 4D boots

I think the key is going to be, putting on your warming layers once you get to your stand. I know a couple years ago I purchased some UA early season Bow hunting clothing... the first day walking into my stand in the dark, thorns and brush tore it up pretty good, and left me disappointed. definitely gonna be packing up the FL stuff to and from the stand.

Good luck with your upcoming season, and let us know how your layering system worked out!

I got dressed at the bottom of my stand. FL Allegheny bottoms and Llano top as lighter base layers, with my puffy and a pair of Kanabs. Once I was at my stand I put on my FL sanctuary bibs and jacket. I also wore a set of down booties and covered myself with my super woobie. I hated tree stand hunting, but when it’s the only way to hunt.....

Drenalin

WKR
I like First Lite's fuse weight for what you're describing. What's worked best for me is to start cold, go in slow and stop any time I start to feel warm (so I don't actually start sweating), then put on layers and possibly even change into dry socks when I'm in my stand. If I were buying new base layers today, I'd go with a fuse crew and fuse zip-off bottoms (which I wouldn't wear while walking in) and then layer up from there. If more of your hunting will be in warmer weather, say 50+, I'd consider the wick weight but I haven't personally used the wick. I've used the fuse from 20s to 70s and been fine, and while it isn't perfect across all those temperatures, it isn't bad as a one-and-done base layer option.

Slappy

FNG
I got dressed at the bottom of my stand. FL Allegheny bottoms and Llano top as lighter base layers, with my puffy and a pair of Kanabs. Once I was at my stand I put on my FL sanctuary bibs and jacket. I also wore a set of down booties and covered myself with my super woobie. I hated tree stand hunting, but when it’s the only way to hunt.....

Not trying to highjack the tread, but what down booties are you using? Do you remove your boots when using them or do they go over your boots? Cold feet is my weakness, and gets me out of a stand quick.

Light-to-mid weight merino base layer. Fleece based mid/insulating layer (if needed). Then outer layer with windstopper. Outer layer (and often mid layer) doesn't get put on until i get to the tree. Sweat is the enemy...

RCB

WKR
I don’t think baselayers make a big difference when it comes to staying warm. I suppose changing the thickness of the layer will help a bit. But when you truly need warmth, you need insulating jackets and wind protection. Sounds like the main thing you need to do is to add and remove layers more often. In other words, I’m not sure that buying a more expensive base layer is going to help much. I could be wrong.

I started with kryptek for an elk hunt in Montana in 2014, it worked well. Bought a few more pieces for tree stand hunting in October to December out in Kansas. Nope. Froze all day. Contacted FL about their new tree stand line, liked what I heard and bought a set. That difference made sitting in a tree stand tolerable. Kryptek is good gear, but it wasn’t made for tree stand hunting.

OP
DINforlife
Lot's of wisdom on here and I'm loving it. In addition to hopefully picking up some quality base layers, this thread has got me thinking in depth about how to better use the outer layers that I do have. Necessity has had me wearing my fleece pants as an outer layer, mainly due to them being stretchy enough to fit over everything else. I'll have to rethink that. And I'll probably be ditching my ginormous 3-jackets-in-one Redhead jacket for more, thinner layers up top. I can live with that. Carrying that thing to the stand is like walking with a hay bale on your back. So bulky. Hmmm....I'll keep ruminating on all of this. Thanks for all the feedback!

bob1sh

FNG
Early season - synthetic lightweight hoody, synthetic boxers, light/midweight pants

Mid season - merino lightweight top and bottom base layers, midweight hoody, same light/midweight pants

Late season - merino heavyweight top and bottom base layers, midweight hoody, same light/midweight pants, down puffy, then bibs when needed.. This gets me down to the teens before I’m “uncomfortable” or actually bothered by the temp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob1sh and I are fairly similar, but I run merino all year. Light weight merino in fact. If I were treestand hunting is go to heavy weight merino. Now it’s reserved for super cold hunts.

I hunt both down South and in New England, so I think I may be able to help a little here. I'm also bald so I lose a lot of heat through my head - my system works well for me, I hope it helps some for you.
We have a saying up North when you get out of the car - "start cold." Meaning, you should be slightly cold on your way to the stand / blind. I use Merino wool exclusively as my base layer - it breathes well in hot and cold conditions, and it resists stink really well. When I start my walk into the woods early season, it is usually just wearing the merino wool base layer (I love the FL Aerowool Wick Hoody). I like the FL wool pants a lot - quiet, breath well, and again - hard to make stink.
Depending on how warm / cool it is, I'll add either a wool vest, or an insulating layer (I like the kuiu kenai jacket - that Toray fabric breaths really well). I don't wait until I'm cold before I add the layer - soon after I hit the blind and I'm settling in, I add my next layer. (It is a lot harder to get warm again once you're cold; you're much better off trapping body heat early on. Can't emphasize that enough).
After my one layer I usually rely on hats and built-in hoods to keep warm. I try to wear a ball cap, face mask, and add a light or heavy hat on top of it to regulate my warmth (Sitka makes awesome hats for this). I'll also usually employ fingerless camouflage gloves, mostly to keep hand-flash to a minimum if I'm moving.

The main thing I change between Southern hot weather hunting and Northern cold weather is the addition of long underwear and warm boots (again, merino - Icebreaker makes good stuff, different weights) and an upgraded coat. If I'm hiking a lot I'll use a soft shell. If I'm stationary and rifle or duck hunting, a down coat (light, compresses easily, though a little noisy). Hand warmers are lightweight, cheap and can make a sh*tty hunt comfortable. Hothands are the only brand of hand warmer worth a damn.
Good luck to you man!
image4.jpeg

OP
DINforlife
@NatefromVT, that was extremely helpful, especially the bit about starting cold and making sure to trap the body heat instead of trying to generate it. I really appreciate the pointers. I'll have to look into the Sitka hats as well. My dad's genes finally kicked in and I'm losing my natural head insulation pretty quickly these days, plus my favorite go-to cold weather hat finally disintegrated toward the end of last season.

Hothands for sure..... hand and foot....... merino wool is the only way to go - Merino 365 is my choice..... have first lite and Kuiu..... but my base layer is 365 - ...... Merino wool thin inoteck liner socks.... a hothands foot warmer and then Darn Tough socks....... dress light and then walk to your stand - finish dressing after everything is in your stand..... its an extra step but safer and you stay drier....... lastly - Ozonics unit on when dressing and up to the stand - some call it snake oil...... has worked wonders for me - ground blind and tree stand!!! Good Luck and God Bless..... Hunted Alabama and now in Ohio.........

three5x5s

WKR
Not a base layer answer but, I open a Hot Hands in both jacket pocket or muff as soon as I get settled in the stand. If I wait ill I get cold to open them (its to late) I never get fully warm again.

renagde

WKR
One of the key features of merino wool is that it still keeps you warm while wet. What this means is that it doesn't matter if you sweat on the way to the stand, it'll still insulate you once you get to your stand and sit down. The Under Armour type base layers that do well at wicking sweat will freeze you out once you get to your stand because they are designed to move moisture off your skin and evaporate it as quickly as possible, which gives you that cooling effect. I found that after I switched to wool, I had a much easier time keep warm because even if I sweated on the way to my stand, I didn't feel like I was losing body heat.

If I were you, I'd pick a heavyweight wool, like a 200 weight or so and be done. Sure sometimes it might be a little warm but wool is magical at regulating body temperature-whether that's hot or cold.