Seeking Base Layer Insight

bob1sh

FNG
One of the key features of merino wool is that it still keeps you warm while wet. What this means is that it doesn't matter if you sweat on the way to the stand, it'll still insulate you once you get to your stand and sit down. The Under Armour type base layers that do well at wicking sweat will freeze you out once you get to your stand because they are designed to move moisture off your skin and evaporate it as quickly as possible, which gives you that cooling effect. I found that after I switched to wool, I had a much easier time keep warm because even if I sweated on the way to my stand, I didn't feel like I was losing body heat.

If I were you, I'd pick a heavyweight wool, like a 200 weight or so and be done. Sure sometimes it might be a little warm but wool is magical at regulating body temperature-whether that's hot or cold.

The way merino handles moisture is a great point. I know a bunch of guys who run hot like myself who don’t own light or midweight base layers.. only heavyweight merino. John Barklow, the guy who designs the Big Game stuff for Sitka, has done a bunch of podcasts on it and the synthetic baselayers like UA are really best suited for people always moving. I’ve also gone from 2 layers to just one with the heavyweight baselayers and the overall comfort alone was worth it. Crazy how one less “thinner” layer made such a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Hunter

WKR
Im not in SE but NE Pennsylvania i use First Lite Lano base layers for all my hunts from PA to South Dakota,Wyoming ,Newfoundland and Montana. You need to go in lite sweat less then put on layers as you sit still.