Seeking info on outfitters in NW Wyoming

I have talked to Klay Mangis at Circle S outfitters and Jim Allen at Diamond 4 Ranch. Was hoping someone could give me some info on these outfitters. Are their others that someone might recommend? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

sblount

FNG
I've hunted with Spotted Horse Ranch and had a great experience. Tagged out every time and the food was fantastic.

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
What type of hunt are you looking for? Pack in? Cabin/lodge? Horses vs no horses? Private land? Budget? You’ll get better recommendations with a little more information.

OP
R
Wilderness hunt. With horses. In one of the general license areas near Yellowstone. Around the thorofare or Gros Ventre.

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted archery elk with Fishhawk Creek/Ishawooa outfitters run by TJ Redder and I would flat out recommend him and his crew for any hunt
I am doing a deer hunt with him this year.
Its not easy to trust people in general, and outfitters have been difficult from my experiences.
I trust TJ and his guys.
I have never hunted the Thorofare with I believe its called Yellowstone outfitters runby Lynn but my buddy has and it sounds like a great outfit too

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
Yellowstone outfitters with Lynn Madsen or triangle X with the turners are both top shelf. Probably both book out a couple years.

Lynn or Chad Madsen Yellowstone Outfitters. Truly great honest hard working people. The last time I returned lease horses to Chad my mouth dropped open when I saw some of the bulls they had killed up there. Pushing 400 inches!

OP
R
Thanks for the input. Was looking to go in 2022. Did talk with Triangle X and they said they were booked until 2024. Would like to go before then. I will follow up on some of these recommendations. Do any of you know anything about Klay Mangis’s operation (Circle S). They outfit in the Gros Ventre. The reason I ask is I snow mobiled with them a few winters ago and they seemed like really good people. How does hunting in the Gros Ventre compare to other areas like the Thorofare or even the Winds?

nowen22

FNG
You'll be hard pressed to find a better hunt than the thorofare. The country is unreal and nothing really compares to it. I have heard good things about yellowstone outfitters and ishawooa outfitters. The outfit I went with in '16 no longer guides, but I probably wouldn't have gone back with them anyway (lots of iffy people and even iffier horses). I agree with hartigjosh in that good outfitters are hard to come by. Good luck with the search. I hope you can get in there before 2024.

Last edited:

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
good mention on the horses. good horses are game changers. grant it there are bad riders but all in all a good horse makes a world of a difference.
In Colorado I had an outfit that put me on a horse that threw me off 15 mins into the hunt running downhill. The same horse gave us problems all week and looking back i don't think they rested it. Their wrangler also spoke inappropriately to the cook and was kicked out of camp on the first night. There were all sorts of red flags the whole trip but we were there and committed so we tried to make the best of it.

nowen22

FNG
I agree with there being the chance that it was bad riders haha but these horses were something else. 15 minutes into our ride going towards deer creek pass up the switchbacks, one big percheron on the back of the pack string ahead of us decided he didn't want to make the trip. 2 switchbacks above us, he sat on his butt and rolled down the mountain towards us and pulled the mule he was tied to with him. Pretty western start to a really western trip. The guide told us "Well the gal we are leasing these horses from said he was a saddle bronc last weekend in the rodeo, but he didn't crow hop or nothin. So she threw him in for free." I looked at my horse and prayed I would make it the next 30 miles alive. My brother got bucked of his horse and jacked up his bow the 2nd day. He ended up killing a 350" bull the next day somehow! Lucky guyLerBull.JPG

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with there being the chance that it was bad riders haha but these horses were something else. 15 minutes into our ride going towards deer creek pass up the switchbacks, one big percheron on the back of the pack string ahead of us decided he didn't want to make the trip. 2 switchbacks above us, he sat on his butt and rolled down the mountain towards us and pulled the mule he was tied to with him. Pretty western start to a really western trip. The guide told us "Well the gal we are leasing these horses from said he was a saddle bronc last weekend in the rodeo, but he didn't crow hop or nothin. So she threw him in for free." I looked at my horse and prayed I would make it the next 30 miles alive. My brother got bucked of his horse and jacked up his bow the 2nd day. He ended up killing a 350" bull the next day somehow! Lucky guyView attachment 171649
Just to be clear, I was not implying you could of been a bad rider. I was talking about my situation and more importantly damn thats a nice bull

nowen22

FNG
Just to be clear, I was not implying you could of been a bad rider. I was talking about my situation and more importantly damn thats a nice bull
No worries at all. I knew what you were getting at. And yes he’s a great bull! Takes up the whole freakin wall. C6D82401-2BB1-4228-A97D-66E816DC9976.jpeg

wyosteve

WKR
Based on the above incidents, a good question to ask of potential outfitters is whether the raise their own animals or lease them? The better option is an outfitter who raises his own. More expensive, but generally much safer.

Cecil H

FNG
I hunted archery elk with Fishhawk Creek/Ishawooa outfitters run by TJ Redder and I would flat out recommend him and his crew for any hunt
I am doing a deer hunt with him this year.
Its not easy to trust people in general, and outfitters have been difficult from my experiences.
I trust TJ and his guys.
I have never hunted the Thorofare with I believe its called Yellowstone outfitters runby Lynn but my buddy has and it sounds like a great outfit too
I second that recommendation. I hunted with TJ last fall, and he runs a great outfit. I will hunt with him again. He works hard for you, and he knows the country really well.

Attachments

• wyoming mule deer 2019.jpg
    wyoming mule deer 2019.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 40