Seeking Input! Handy mountain rifle build.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Looking for good old interwebs input from experienced folks who have built and/or used some of these rifles - would really appreciate some insights.

Caveats based on all the threads I have read:
This isn’t a be all end all thing: I don’t reload so we’re talking good factory ammo, and I have a 300 WM in a regular Christensen Ridgeline, so I’ve got the .30 cal situation covered if I need to go big. Rifle purpose is getting into a more compact platform for backpack hunts here in MT. I’m a 400 yard and in guy right now, and looking to start working out my effective range. (Read: I don’t own a kestrel yet, look at ballistics on my phone, so decidedly not a “long range” guy, but interested in getting much more proficient). Looking at taking an in-person shooting course to tune-up my proficiency.

So the gun: I’ve spent a couple weeks reading up on the various forums talking about these platforms, the 6.5 PRC cartridge I’d like to start using, and custom builds. So with that - what I feel like I am looking for is a something between a regular Ridgeline and a $6.5K proof model....specifics:

- chambered in 6.5 PRC
- Will use for most of my range practice and hunting up to elk-sized critters.
- want 20- 22” carbon barrel, will have side baffle brake.
- what weight of gun under 6.5lb mark, would like to be 7.5-8 lb full up with glass, which will be mid 20’s on ounces.
- lightweight carbon stock (or composite) with good design, which I read is negative comb, raised check area, and more vertical grip,
-I think I want a titanium action for weight
- I don’t really want mag fed, prefer bottom metal.

Models I’m considering (none of these are “bad” but I’d like to hear opinions on quality differences.)
- (current leader) Fierce CT Rival
- APR Altitude
- Proof Elevation MTR
- Christensen Ridgeline Ti (I don’t care for the Ridgeline stocks though).
- I really like the gwerks clymr but from what I can see I could do composite stock with grb ss action and carbon barrel, gun only, for about $4500 after mil discount, which is beyond my comfort zone. I think there’s better options for the money, or is their design worth the compromises in lighter components? Their builder doesn’t always give you all the options it seems, sometimes the above budget build isn’t available for some reason.

Should I put more stock in companies that make their own stuff like Gunwerks, Fierce and Christensen? Other good options in this range I should really consider? Seems like if I’m getting .5 MOA guarantees at $3k level than there’s really not a reason to spend more....my comfort ceiling is that 3.5-4K range for the rifle itself.

Thanks in advance to anyone who drops in and gives me their insight!

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I wanted the same thing but in 7 SAUM and chose to build. Parts are at the smith and due to be complete at the end of the month.
Defiance anTi XM action
Defiance XM alloy BDL bottom metal
bartlein #4 CFW 22” barrel
Manners EH-SL stock

I’ll weigh it when it gets here. Have Talley pinned LW rings for scope.

khuber84

WKR
Put a 20" carbon mullerworks barrel of a Tikka action, put it in Mesa altitude stock. You'll be at 6.5 lbs or less, and be into it for 2200$ maybe. Tikkas are perfect for the prc.

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted the same thing but in 7 SAUM and chose to build. Parts are at the smith and due to be complete at the end of the month.
Defiance anTi XM action
Manners EH-SL stock

That’s a perfect build right there! Thinking about doing nearly the exact same thing.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Alterra Mountain Shadow checks all of the boxes.

Hunting partner has a Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC with a NF NX8 4-32 and he wants for nothing. No carbon barrel though.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Alterra Mountain Shadow checks all of the boxes.

Hunting partner has a Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC with a NF NX8 4-32 and he wants for nothing. No carbon barrel though.

It does, thanks for mentioning - SUPER expensive though! Certainly one I’ve been looking at, beyond what I think I would spend on a single rifle though.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Defiance anTi XM action
Manners EH-SL stock

I see this action popping up in quite a few builds, and the xm action length is intriguing instead of just limiting to short action.

PNWGATOR

WKR
You could dupe that Mountain Shadow with a Tikka action, proof prefit and an Alterra carbon hunter stock. Have the action etc. nitride coated prior to assembly and add one of the new Rokslide titanium brakes.

I recently did a similar build to what Kimber7man did except I went with the Defiance Rebel in their sheep cut to save weight. Its only slightly heavier than the AnTi at 25 ozs. Also went with the Bartlein CF #4 contour, Hawkins BM but used the Proof Research stock which I am really liking. Sort of a "faux Proof Glacier" rifle. Naked the rifle came in just under 6 lbs, all up weight is good especially with a 20 oz scope. I like it enough I'm doing a 2nd one. Both are 7MM-08's.

fatbacks

WKR
after mil discount,

Most firearm related companies offer a good military discount. Like a few above, I assembled my own faux Proof Glacier Rifle - after mil discounts on everything it was a very affordable rifle and the prefit barrel cuts down on any gunsmithing costs. Good option if you have time on your side. I have a pile of mountain rifles and this one will likely be the first out of the safe every time.

Defiance anTi Action
Hawkins Bottom Metal
Proof Stock
Proof Sendero Prefit - 7 SAUM

IMG_0760.JPG

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Most firearm related companies offer a good military discount. Like a few above, I assembled my own faux Proof Glacier Rifle - after mil discounts on everything it was a very affordable rifle and the prefit barrel cuts down on any gunsmithing costs. Good option if you have time on your side. I have a pile of mountain rifles and this one will likely be the first out of the safe every time.

Defiance anTi Action
Hawkins Bottom Metal
Proof Stock

View attachment 251118

Good to know, thanks for your reply, and that is certainly a sharp build, nicely done. I haven’t reached out to some of these companies to see if they do discounts, mainly because I always hate asking for it. Sounds like I need to. Starting to see a trend with component recommendations for sure.

So is that a proof stock?

mvrk28

WKR
Good to know, thanks for your reply, and that is certainly a sharp build, nicely done. I haven’t reached out to some of these companies to see if they do discounts, mainly because I always hate asking for it. Sounds like I need to. Starting to see a trend with component recommendations for sure.

So is that a proof stock?
I have an APR Altitude coming in on thursday, I'll let you know how it is. If you want a ti action you should look at their Apex Hunter. I'm not sure if they offer a MIL/LEO discount or not but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have an APR Altitude coming in on thursday, I'll let you know how it is. If you want a ti action you should look at their Apex Hunter. I'm not sure if they offer a MIL/LEO discount or not but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Awesome - please do check back in with you thoughts, as I really like the idea of getting a MT based company for barrel and action. That gun seems to use a lot of what people recommend in their build lists.....thanks!

Defiance anTi Action
Hawkins Bottom Metal
Proof Stock

View attachment 251118

That‘s a sweet build! 24” barrel? What does it weigh?

mvrk28

WKR
Awesome - please do check back in with you thoughts, as I really like the idea of getting a MT based company for barrel and action. That gun seems to use a lot of what people recommend in their build lists.....thanks!
Not only are they both MT based, but they're also extremely close to each other!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    895.2 KB · Views: 39
OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Defiance anTi XM action
Manners EH-SL stock

The more I look at things and other "ideal" builds your list seems to come up a lot. That APR altitude w/22" proof barrel seems like a really close build to what you have, aside from the stock shape. Did you go traditional sporter due to weight or just preference? I see a lot of these rigs are built with heavier stocks using the more vertical pistol grips. Thanks!

N2TRKYS

WKR
My handy mountain rifle has been a Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM with a 22” barrel. I killed an elk with it my list trip. Now, my handy mountain rifle is gonna be my Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 with a 20” barrel.

I expect it to perform just as well, but at around a pound lighter.

The more I look at things and other "ideal" builds your list seems to come up a lot. That APR altitude w/22" proof barrel seems like a really close build to what you have, aside from the stock shape. Did you go traditional sporter due to weight or just preference? I see a lot of these rigs are built with heavier stocks using the more vertical pistol grips. Thanks!
Thanks, I’m a fan of the SL, since I have one on my primary hunting rifle in 6.5 SAUM I decided to stay with the SL. Weight is 27-28 ounces so not super light, but I use a 1” decelerator pad so that’s a few ounces over a 1/2” pad. The SL also has a more vertical grip than a traditional McMillan hunting stock like the Classic or Rem Hunter.

Antares

WKR
I'll put in another vote for Tikka.

Find something cheap like a T3x compact. Rebarrel to 6.5 PRC in the carbon barrel of your choice. Put it in a McMillan EDGE Game Hunter or some other nice carbon stock. You'll be under weight, under budget, and have a great shooting rifle. Plus it'll be a Tikka!