Seeking Montana wade fishing tips

blackdawg

WKR
I will have a couple days traveling through Montana next week and would sure like to toss some hoppers, being drift boat poor nowadays, could anyone give me a a few tips on where I might try and get a few hoppers smashed on top, preferably within a couple hours of I-90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
You could stay on I90 and do very well at fishing access sites on the Yellowstone. Could also sojourn up the Boulder River south of Big Timber, Shields River east and north of Livingston. Hitting the fishing access sites and walking/wading up stream has worked pretty well for me a few times. Starting to see hoppers in the yard, your timing might be right.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
I have poured the coals to them floating the Yellowstone about that time before, 100+ fish days. Haven’t spent much time wading. Any good waters near Missoula?

MTtrout

WKR
There’s great trout fishing all along the I90 corridor, from the border of ID to well past Livingston. Many of the larger rivers have good fishing access sites that are easy to find online as well as driving along them. Pick one or several to check out! Note, this time of year some of the rivers start warming up by the time they reach I90 so check water temps online or just travel further up river. Should be some good fishing. Have fun

jmez

WKR
Was in Billings last weekend for a baseball tournament. Grasshoppers everywhere! Timing is good.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Sounds like a slam dunk. Hopefully the fish cooperate