Seeking Packraft Advice

Rokwiia

WKR
I've never packrafted before and am considering getting one. It would be used on remote ponds/lakes where I have backpack to it so weight is a consideration. Not looking to carry meat so hauling capability is not required. It will used for fishing on flat water.

Alpacka rafts seem to be well received. How do competitors, such as Kokopelli, compare with Alpacka?

What other features are important other than having a few tie down points to lash down a backpack?

Htm84

WKR
If you’re just gonna float around on flat water it probably doesn’t matter much which one you decide on. Alpacka would probably have the best resell value. I think they sell kokapella or however you spell it at sportsmans. Alpackas are nice and have a pretty wide variety to choose from. I think they have a bit of a wait to get one right now though. They make a super lite one for what you’re describing a “scout” or something like that.

I did one of the diy ones last year and use it hiking into lakes to fish and some class 2ish rivers.

for what you’re planning on using it for tie downs would probably be all you need. The internal zipper is kinda nice but unless you plan on doing longer trips with more gear probably not really needed.

Packrafts are fun. Whatever you decide on I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

142888B9-151B-4454-8B01-6B93B9514FF8.jpeg9683F0A6-B05C-4922-BE13-679A8B1DE942.jpegBEA9876B-9845-4BB3-ABD3-66C40A413D8B.jpeg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The alpacka scout is light but it’s pretty darn small. I have one, well my wife took it and it’s ok for her since she’s like 5’2 120 lbs but when I get in it it’s nearly sunk. I’d look at the caribou at a minimum, maybe a mule or one of the classics as a light pack in boat. I have a mule and it’s been good so far, I did t order it with any special features so it’s light and simple.

I second both of the posts above. I also work at 4corners riversports in Durango. What I can tell is if you want one this season, I might have a mule for sale. But, to get any other boat from them you will be waiting until March next year. They are that back ordered.
try to find one online somewhere for sale or pm me if you want to get on the list. Any new builds they are trying to push to us and limit customer interaction cause they are so short staffed.
they are great boats and I plan on using one to access some high lakes around here. You can’t go wrong.
Full disclosure, I have no experience with kokapelli

I got an Alpacka Yukon Yak...ten pounds with pump, paddles, yada, yada, yada. Buy once-cry once...never worry about quality construction. That's priceless!

raft2_zpswmxl3uhp.jpgraft3_zpsr1bdewhs (1).jpg

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Most of what I would use them for is fishing so stability while the packraft is not moving would be more important than the speed while moving. It would also be helpful to have two-person capability to be able to got out on the water with a friend when you want.

Are longer packrafts, such as the Alpacka Forager or Kokopelli Twain, difficult to paddle when there is only one person in the raft?

Htm84

WKR
Most of what I would use them for is fishing so stability while the packraft is not moving would be more important than the speed while moving. It would also be helpful to have two-person capability to be able to got out on the water with a friend when you want.

Are longer packrafts, such as the Alpacka Forager or Kokopelli Twain, difficult to paddle when there is only one person in the raft?
My brother currently has a forager. It’s bulky and heavy. I think it’s like 12 pounds for just the raft. I’ve never used it solo but he does occasionally. He complains about how hard it is to steer solo fwiw.

Just checked:
We just got an order received that we placed in April:
1 forager w/cargo fly green 420 denier
1 forager w/cargo fly red 420 denier
1 mule self bailer w/cargo fly red

we’re around if you just want to speak about other models as well.
I’m happy to help steer you towards what you want.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I already replied to your other thread, but then I saw this:
It would also be helpful to have two-person capability to be able to got out on the water with a friend when you want.
I don't know how large a person you are, but there's no way 2 people could fish out of my Mule. Maybe you could carry a passenger across a short crossing, but it'd be very cramped.

For what it's worth, Alpacka talked me out of the Caribou and into the Mule.

In any paddle craft, length = speed, but it also equals directional stability, which would be nice for your uses. Primary stability might be somewhat better in a longer craft, but probably not by a lot. I think the only advantages a shorter craft gets you are less weight, pack size and fill time. Everything else you've mentioned is favored by more length.

I've found that unzipping the cargo fly a couple inches makes it much easier to get a nice tight roll, in order to get it small enough to fit back in its bag (like those cheap tents you can never get back in the bag) to keep the pack size small. Based on that and the rare reason you might want access to the inside of the tubes, I'd recommend the cargo fly even if you don't plan to pack gear inside.

Sounds to me like the Oryx is your huckleberry.

Mt Al

WKR
I'll also recommend Alpacka, just awesome build quality and like Bruce, buy once/cry once. I've built several DIY packrafts including a two person voyageur, and two people would be tight. Doable, but tight. Check out the youtube videos of two person Alpackas and see where they're sitting, how close, etc.

When I buy an Alpacka, thinking forager or oryx.

As above, no matter what you get, they're really fun.

Broomd

WKR
I bought a brand new Alpacka Explorer 42 w/TI zip last month, excellent size/weight for that boat. Used it once--last weekend--on the Grande Ronde in Oregon.
I'm going to go with a bit heavier raft, let me know if you're interested I'll make you a great deal on it. It's a great raft, but at almost 58 my deep-wilderness fishing days are past.
I'm going to go a bit heavier for the drive-to rivers wife and I float. I'm 6'6".

IMG_6205.JPGIMG_6206.JPG

Last edited: