Seeking scope recommendations moose gun

Jasper_AK

FNG
There are just too many scopes out there, and I have found researching them all to be a daunting endeavor. I’m sure I’m overlooking great options, and would welcome any advice!

I need recommendations on a scope for my rem m700 30-06 being used as a moose hunting rifle. I am replacing an older Leupold vx3 4.5-14x50. I am unhappy with this scope because the FOV is narrow, I’d rather have something with a smaller objective, I have another rifle I could use this on, and I want to replace the rings anyway.

What I think I want:

32-42mm obj
FOV @100yrds >33’
High zoom: >=7x
Some form of BDC, dials, reticle, ext.
Red dot or illuminated reticle
Glass that performs in low light as good as my leupold.
Not too concerned about weight
Trying to keep it under 600$
Must have a good warranty

Honestly, I feel like I am asking too much, and will be forced to start narrowing features down to what’s reasonable and really important for this application in order stay in budget, or of coarse, wait until I can afford the ideal scope.
I wish the vx3hd 2.5-8 with CDS had a red dot, that would be perfect. Even without it, it might still be my best choice.

I’ve been looking really hard at GPO’s 3-9x40 illuminated (a discontinued product) cameraland has some https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...9418-013a-72a8-00163ecd2826?variation=3171009

For those who may ask, I’m planning to mount with a single piece game reaper mount. Would also be open to suggestions in this area.

Ok, let the opinions fly! Thanks in advance.

norcan

FNG
I was recently looking for a new scope to replace one with a fairly cramped FoV, and I've been blown away by how much Meopta's Optika5 and Optika6 lines get you for the money. I ended up with a 2-10x42 PA that I intended for .22 use because of its compact size and adjustable parallax, but it's good enough that I'd happily put it on a big-game rifle too.

I just wrote a bit of a review if you're interested... the Optika6 is similar but in a 30 mm tube and with more illuminated-reticle options so it would probably be perfect. (Although I gotta say that the glass is bright and clear enough on the 1"-tube Optika5 that I don't feel I'm missing out with unlit crosshairs.)

Honestly, this 2.5-15x44 seems like it would check every single box depending on which reticle you go with, plus it's within budget and not even particularly heavy for what it can do. The optical quality would likely at least equal the VX-3's, too; Meopta has been manufacturing really great glass in their own production facilities for ages.

1652176642180.png

Mount-wise, Game Reaper is sweet. I considered them for my T3x, but went with direct rail mount using Sportsmatch instead. For a hunting rifle without an integral rail, Game Reaper seems to be about the best choice there is.

I gotta ask, though; why do you want high magnification on a moose rifle? They're not only huge, but are also about the easiest big game animal there is to get close to.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jasper_AK

FNG
I was recently looking for a new scope to replace one with a fairly cramped FoV, and I've been blown away by how much Meopta's Optika5 and Optika6 lines get you for the money. I ended up with a 2-10x42 PA that I intended for .22 use because of its compact size and adjustable parallax, but it's good enough that I'd happily put it on a big-game rifle too.

I just wrote a bit of a review if you're interested... the Optika6 is similar but in a 30 mm tube and with more illuminated-reticle options so it would probably be perfect. (Although I gotta say that the glass is bright and clear enough on the 1"-tube Optika5 that I don't feel I'm missing out with unlit crosshairs.)

Honestly, this 2.5-15x44 seems like it would check every single box depending on which reticle you go with, plus it's within budget and not even particularly heavy for what it can do. The optical quality would likely at least equal the VX-3's, too; Meopta has been manufacturing really great glass in their own production facilities for ages.

View attachment 409736

Mount-wise, Game Reaper is sweet. I considered them for my T3x, but went with direct rail mount using Sportsmatch instead. For a hunting rifle without an integral rail, Game Reaper seems to be about the best choice there is.

I gotta ask, though; why do you want high magnification on a moose rifle? They're not only huge, but are also about the easiest big game animal there is to get close to.
I am more concerned about low magnification and FOV. For a while I was looking for a fixed power scope that would fit the bill, thinking they are more robust and have better light transmission. But even at 2.5x I couldn’t find one with a decent FOV. But, you’re right, I don’t need much power. I do generally find Thant once the max magnification of a scope falls below 7 they no longer have an objective larger than the main tube and gain a tactical appearance. This isn’t a show stopper for me, I was looking closely at the Burris 1-6x, perhaps I would do well to open up to these again.

Have been putting Zeiss V4s on all my rifles lately. Reasonably sized objective at 44mm, good FOV, dialable and offered with illuminated reticles.

Another great option in the smaller objective (but non-illuminated and not dialable) is the Maven RS.2 at 2-10x38. Glass is fantastic and is offered with an SHR (MOA) reticle with subtensions. I have one on my 30-06. At $550 it's hard to beat.

OP
J

Jasper_AK

FNG
Thanks homebru, my spotter is zeiss, I’ve certainly been happy with it. I will take a closer look at the v4 line, I didn’t know they had red dots.

Sorry but I don't understand why you would want a CDS dial on a moose scope, unless you're mounting on a 10ga slug gun, and even then....
I would not hesitate to go fixed 4X, but 1-6 Burris is even better, as long as you're not dialed up to 6x when the crazy thing decides to charge from 15yds.
I would want lots of light gathering, simplicity and FOV.
Reliability would be another reason I would look outside of Leupold.

OP
J

Jasper_AK

FNG
Sorry but I don't understand why you would want a CDS dial on a moose scope, unless you're mounting on a 10ga slug gun, and even then....
I would not hesitate to go fixed 4X, but 1-6 Burris is even better, as long as you're not dialed up to 6x when the crazy thing decides to charge from 15yds.
I would want lots of light gathering, simplicity and FOV.
Reliability would be another reason I would look outside of Leupold.
Thinking man, thanks for your reply. I’m curious about your experience that made you lose confidence in leupold? And have you found Burris to be reliable? My hesitation with their 1-6x is I’m unsure of light gathering capability, does the small objective hinder light?

Charging moose is no joke, been there. And not only that, a moose is where a moose is. Sometimes the shot you are given is one strolling through the brush 25 yards away, where the hell did he come from? So, agreed FOV is upmost important, and why I spent the last two years with open sites.

Thinking man, thanks for your reply. I’m curious about your experience that made you lose confidence in leupold? And have you found Burris to be reliable? My hesitation with their 1-6x is I’m unsure of light gathering capability, does the small objective hinder light?

Charging moose is no joke, been there. And not only that, a moose is where a moose is. Sometimes the shot you are given is one strolling through the brush 25 yards away, where the hell did he come from? So, agreed FOV is upmost important, and why I spent the last two years with open sites.
Everyone has a story about how great Leupold is about replacing defective stuff.
Too many of those stories for me to be comfortable with them.

Exit pupil is the measure of brightness through an optic.
From Nikon's website:

Exit pupil​

The exit pupil is the bright circle that can be seen in the center of each eyepiece when you hold the binoculars about 30cm away from your eyes with the objective lenses pointed toward a bright light. The larger the diameter is, the brighter the viewfield is, which is an important consideration when using binoculars in dark situations and for astronomical observation.
Exit pupil = The effective diameter of the objective lens ÷ Magnification
With 8x42 binoculars, the formula is 42 ÷ 8 = 5.3.
Therefore, the diameter of the exit pupil is 5.3mm.
This figure indicates the brightness of the image in view.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I used a 2.5-8x36 leupold during my last 3 moose hunts. No problems. Before that was an old burris. The rifle I’m going to use this year has a Nikon monarch 3 1-4x24 on it.

norcan

FNG
Everyone has a story about how great Leupold is about replacing defective stuff.
Too many of those stories for me to be comfortable with them.

Exit pupil is the measure of brightness through an optic.
From Nikon's website:

Exit pupil​

The exit pupil is the bright circle that can be seen in the center of each eyepiece when you hold the binoculars about 30cm away from your eyes with the objective lenses pointed toward a bright light. The larger the diameter is, the brighter the viewfield is, which is an important consideration when using binoculars in dark situations and for astronomical observation.
Exit pupil = The effective diameter of the objective lens ÷ Magnification
With 8x42 binoculars, the formula is 42 ÷ 8 = 5.3.
Therefore, the diameter of the exit pupil is 5.3mm.
This figure indicates the brightness of the image in view.
Don't believe everything you read. Bigger exit pupils have a lot of advantages, but what they are not is a direct measure of brightness.

You have to take into account that the human pupil can only dilate so far, and that a large EP through crappy dim optics isn't necessarily going to give a brighter image than a smaller one through top-grade high-transmission glass.

It's a bit strange that a company with the expertise that Nikon has would oversimply the subject like that for their marketing material. The figure isn't a measure of brightness, it's only a measure of the diameter of the EP. With all other factors being equal, and as long as the diameters are no bigger than the maximum eye dilation, then yes, I guess it can be used it as a sort of relative measure of brightness for two otherwise-identical optics.

That said, a nice big exit pupil diameter is of course a really good thing to have for moose hunting. :)

If you have the budget, Trijicon Credo HX 1-6x24.

Otherwise I would go with a VX-3HD 2.5-8x36.

OP
J

Jasper_AK

FNG
Hey, want to say thanks to everyone for your guidance and taking time to help this FNG. The suggestions here have lead me to more digging in the forums and reading reviews. I see now I need to put more consideration into a scopes reliability. Ultimately it seems everything is compared to SWFA HD 3-9, and Meopta meopro 3-9 scopes as gold standard mid budget range reliable scopes with great glass… at least here on Rokslide anyway. The problem is, the meostar line is discontinued, and the SWFA HD’s are on eternal back order… ha! I wonder what everyone is turning to now? What’s the next up and coming?

I have talked myself out of the GPO line because I cannot find any reviews speaking to the reliability or durability of their scopes. I think this is most likely because they are newer to the market and haven’t become popular choices for testing.

Another factor that is going to make it easier to make a purchase is resale. If I know Im purchasing a scope with a solid reputation I can have the piece of mind, that even if it doesn’t work for me, someone will see value in it, and I should be able to sell and roll that into the next one (I just need to reach that pesky 10 post threshold). Resale value, Another strike against the GPO, at least at this time.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hey, want to say thanks to everyone for your guidance and taking time to help this FNG. The suggestions here have lead me to more digging in the forums and reading reviews. I see now I need to put more consideration into a scopes reliability. Ultimately it seems everything is compared to SWFA HD 3-9, and Meopta meopro 3-9 scopes as gold standard mid budget range reliable scopes with great glass… at least here on Rokslide anyway. The problem is, the meostar line is discontinued, and the SWFA HD’s are on eternal back order… ha! I wonder what everyone is turning to now? What’s the next up and coming?

I have talked myself out of the GPO line because I cannot find any reviews speaking to the reliability or durability of their scopes. I think this is most likely because they are newer to the market and haven’t become popular choices for testing.

Another factor that is going to make it easier to make a purchase is resale. If I know Im purchasing a scope with a solid reputation I can have the piece of mind, that even if it doesn’t work for me, someone will see value in it, and I should be able to sell and roll that into the next one (I just need to reach that pesky 10 post threshold). Resale value, Another strike against the GPO, at least at this time.

You’ll find that the majority of people don’t use those scopes you mentioned. The SWFA 3-9 is a great scope, not what I’d choose for moose hunting. The meopta meopro is great and I have a few of them.

Moose are a big target and in my experience not a long range game unless you want it to be. Maybe take a look at the trijicon accupoint or something from burris. You don’t need a nightforce to kill a moose.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider

I'm looking at one of these for my 270 and possibly for my 30-06. There's several reticles available to choose from. Supposedly are solid enough to dial on occasion but definitely a very good set and forget option!

EdP

WKR
I just put a Trijicon Huron 2.5-10x40 w/BDC reticle on my Marlin .444 and like it. They list at $599 but can be found at about $460. 10x isn't needed on a .444 but would be about perfect on a .30-06. I think it is also available with an illuminated reticle (for more $ of course).

I'm liking Trijicon these days...very bright, clear glass and seem tough enough. Also on the lighter side. If 3x is low enough, I would look into the following which can be had under $600:

Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40mm- not illuminated, but has tritium fiber optic reticle...lighter weight.
Ex. https://lockedloaded.com/product/tr...-fov-1-tube-black-mil-dot-crosshair-green-dot

Trijicon Credo 3-9x40mm- has illumination...cheaper.
Ex.

For either, select the specs, reticle and color illumination you prefer.

the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 green dot duplex IS illuminated, by 2 methods, fibre optic AND the tritium....no batteries required and that green dot is amazing, this scope screams timber and moose! you can ask my son how nice it was to see that green dot on his black bear at 10 yards last year, there was a lot of black in that scope but even at 3x and bear facing him he had enough field of view to place it perfectly in the center of chest under the chin

and I used it to bang flop a whitetail doe at 420 yards at 9x last year, the dot covers about 4-5" at that distance on 9x so essentially perfect intuitive fit inside a kill zone, love this scope, you can get mil-dot or duplex version...same illuminated center dot on both, I duplex and use Kenton speed dial turret to dial up the longer shots, we go coyotes to sheep with deer/bear/moose in between to 500 and the 3-9x40 is ideal, I believe you'll find lots of moose hunter reports liking these trijicons for that illuminated dot reticle