SEEKING SOME ADVICE

I have a bit of a dilemma that is rattling my little pea brain. First off, I'm a Savage guy - no apologies. I currently have:
1. Model 112 FSAK in 300 win mag & 4-ish boxes of Barnes 165 gr TTSX that shoots ragged hole, but it a tad heavy & has a blind mag, which I do not prefer.
2. SS Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 Creed & 12-ish boxes of Hornady ELD-X ammo that shoots moa that I love spot & stalking with.
3. Model 110 Ultralight in 6.5 PRC & 4-ish boxes of Hornady ELD-X ammo that shoots 1/2" and is my favorite gun.
All are topped with Trijicon Accupoints Green Mildot scopes.
Here's my dilemma. I want to drop back to only 2 rifles. I would love to get an Ultralight in 300 WSM, but they are not available. Ammo is stupid if they were.
Would you dump the 300, Creed & associated ammo to fund a lightweight rifle & ammo in a heavier caliber OR just hold out for a swap to become available for the PRC to WSM in the Ultralight and then scrounge for ammo. Either way, it will be an expensive proposition.
I mostly hunt whitetail in Virginia with the occasional 400-500 yard opportunity. Try to get to NM yearly for an elk hunt. That's why I am looking for a little extra oopmh. I appreciate your feedback.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me........ and you only want 2 guns........ I would dump the 6.5 creedmore (very easy to do), and put a 4-16ish power scope on the 300 win mag and just go. the 300 win mag is a great caliber especially if you're not a reloader. There seems to be 300 ammo still out there

ODB

WKR
All you need is your 300 win mag. There’s nothing the others can do that it won’t, and plenty that it will do that they won’t.

id opt for a 3.5x 10. Which is what I have on my 338. Easy peasy. Go spend the money from selling the others on reloading gear and stop frequenting online chat rooms - they are bad for cartridge envy...good luck

OP
S
If it were me........ and you only want 2 guns........ I would dump the 6.5 creedmore (very easy to do), and put a 4-16ish power scope on the 300 win mag and just go. the 300 win mag is a great caliber especially if you're not a reloader. There seems to be 300 ammo still out there
Love the 300 win mag cartridge. Maybe just sell the rifle & get one with a detachable mag. I currently have a 5-20x50 on it now. She's a shooter. Top is a ragged hole. Just lowered the POI on the 3rd shot. Thanks, for the input.

Attachments

• 20200905_090228.jpg
    20200905_090228.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 37

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't worry about the detachable mag personally, if it's a shooter, i would hang on to that thing for dear life. if you're worried about weight, a smaller scope would lighten it up some, but if it works i would run it

OP
S
All you need is your 300 win mag. There’s nothing the others can do that it won’t, and plenty that it will do that they won’t.

id opt for a 3.5x 10. Which is what I have on my 338. Easy peasy. Go spend the money from selling the others on reloading gear and stop frequenting online chat rooms - they are bad for cartridge envy...good luck
Just getting old. Lugging the 300 for a few miles in NM can hurt a brother :cool: . Next one will have a 4-24 Trijicon on it. Love those scopes.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
Just get a good shoulder strap and choose your favorite between 1 and 3.

If #1 is a shooter, I would keep it.

Sell the rest of them and hold the cash for other needed gear.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
Your 300 will do it all.

If I were determined to keep just two, I'd keep the Creedmoor for deer (perfect) and the 300 for bigger stuff out West (also, perfect).

The 6.5PRC just doesn't do much for you that you don't have covered.

I’d say go for it. If you don’t wanna bring it with you then why have it. And the PRC will do everything the creed will

slvrslngr

WKR
No need for a 300 of any flavor, the 6.5 PRC will do what you need, no problem. Since it’s a good shooter and you love the rifle, why get rid of it? Trip the other 2 and get a 223 for a fun shooter.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I like just having one gun. I'd say go with a .300 Win Mag. Can be loaded lighter for deer and heavier for elk. Or just shoot a 180 gr. and kill everything.

Wapiti1

WKR
While I don't understand wanting fewer than 30 rifles, of the three, keep the 6.5 PRC since that is your favorite.

All are capable of doing what you want, so just keep the one that fits, feels, and shoots the best for you.

The advice above about getting a smaller practice rifle is good.

Jeremy

OP
S
Only one not getting much love is the Creedmoor. Guess sexy left town when the PRC showed up🤣

OP
S
Personally, I like just having one gun. I'd say go with a .300 Win Mag. Can be loaded lighter for deer and heavier for elk. Or just shoot a 180 gr. and kill everything.
Only thing about one is I'm afraid of dropping it and knocking the scope out of whack. Plus, that 20" barrel on the Creedmoor is so nice spot & stalking through the deer woods.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
When you're climbing in & out of tree stands it can be a concern. Plus, I'm clumsy and couldn't sneak up on a glass of water 🤣
Haha. Well, keep the Creedmore and get something elk-capable like a .300 Win Mag, 28 Nosler, 7mm, .30-06. I have a Creedmore also, and It's great to shoot. I just prefer my rifle that's chambered in .300 WM.