Seeking very powerful headlamp. Suggestions??

TaylerW

FNG
After a situation that could have led to my death, I am looking for a very strong headlamp with a beam in excess of 100m. Currently I am looking at the higher end ledlenser models. Anyone have experience with these or something similar?

BroncoAZ

FNG
I’ve had good luck with most things Fenix. This one shows 951’.

crich

WKR
Are you looking for something packable or a no BS laser-beam? I'm also curious about this near death experience if you don't mind sharing. 🤔

dtrkyman

WKR
Fenix and Zebra with the 18650 battery.

My zebra is a flood light but still carries a long way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
Night time explosives?🤔…please do tell what that is

I winter it's common to do avalanche control work pre dawn. That can be skiing to a howitzer and or using hand charges. Regardless, the headlamp is solid. I've used many smaller lamps and the petzl is the best one I've used.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I winter it's common to do avalanche control work pre dawn. That can be skiing to a howitzer and or using hand charges. Regardless, the headlamp is solid. I've used many smaller lamps and the petzl is the best one I've used.
I figured something like that.

Without knowing the specifics of why you need a 100m headlamp, what about going high power handheld? Keep the headlamp for up close work and navigating but some of the new handhelds are tiny but throw a big, bright beam. Much better lenses than what can reasonably fit on your head plus it will last a lot longer. A 100m headlamp is probably only going to reach that far on max bright for a few minutes vs a handheld that can go for hours.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Let’s just say I had to row by drift boat through multiple rapids during pitch black night and my headlamp was shit
Better off camping on the bank until morning.....even with a head lamp. Unless it was for the adrenaline rush.......but then you wouldn't want the head lamp.

OP
TaylerW

TaylerW

FNG
Better off camping on the bank until morning.....even with a head lamp. Unless it was for the adrenaline rush.......but then you wouldn't want the head lamp.
Luckily I know the water very well, but there are multiple braids and some nasty chutes and eddy lines. By the time I got to the boat ramp I was nauseous and hands were shaking like a dog shitting a peach pit.

I have used a nitecore hc30 for a long time. I love it. I think there's now a Fenix model with very similar/better specs in performance and weight/size. Zebra makes a very similar one to the hc30.

I'd go with one of those since they use standard 18650 and then you're not stuck with a specific brand's battery.

If not one of those, then I'd go petzl. I think they make the best lamps of any outdoor rec brand. My wife has used one of the higher end ones (not duo but similar) for a very long time and it's good.

tdot

WKR
I've had good success with my Zebralight, don't remember the model, but the light beam is excellent. Zebra Light has some awesome lenses, a step above the majority of lights I've used. I've used mine during a number of torrential downpours and never had water ingress issues. I used to have some of the older Petzls, good reflectors and beam pattern, but the separate battery compartment and wiring ended up having moisture damage and stopped working. I used them for night backcountry skiing, so they regularly saw temperatures that swung above and below zero, and were often packed with snow.

I have a few handhelds that I've used on my sailboat and a couple things I've learned. Ensure the beam pattern is a spot and is very well focused. When the lights can produce as much light as these can, any stray light can reflect off of moisture in the air and it's like trying to look thru fog. The other thing to look for is the battery and how long the lights can actually produce the high light output. I'd suggest an 18650 battery at a minimum and preferably multiple 18650 or an a similar larger battery pack

tsteckle

FNG
I’ve had good luck with most things Fenix. This one shows 951’.

X2

Fenix lighting is awesome. Flashlights, headlamps, lanterns. Crazy Bright! My go to for all lighting.

Rokwiia

WKR
After a situation that could have led to my death, I am looking for a very strong headlamp with a beam in excess of 100m. Currently I am looking at the higher end ledlenser models. Anyone have experience with these or something similar?

Are you married to a headlamp only? You have far better choices with a hand-held flashlight.