Seekins Havak 6.5 PRC Performance

I picked up a Seekins Precision Havak PH1 in 6.5 PRC last year and did not have much time to work up loads until recently. I started with factory 143 ELD-X and 147 ELD-M and was getting around 1/2" 3-shot groups at 100 yards. POI was pretty close to the same for both. I spoke with Seekins and they told me I should be doing better than that.

I have about 100 rounds downrange and started doing some load development with the 147 ELD-M and RL-26. So I went out last weekend and found nodes at 53.0 gr (0.388") and 54.0 gr (0.399"). To top that off, my buddy shot a 0.232" group with factory 143 ELD-X Hornady Precision Hunter [3 shots @100 yds].

I was considering selling the rifle, but looks like I gotta keep it ;) . I would like to try some 156 Bergers next, try some 5-shot groups, and test my loads at 300 yards. What kind of performance are you guys seeing from your Seekins rifles?

Attachments

• 141640.jpeg
    141640.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 20200702_010451.jpg
    20200702_010451.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200702_010515.jpg
    20200702_010515.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

ak max 83

FNG
I have the very same rifle. I am getting 1/2” 5 shot groups. I’m happy because i will use it for hunting. My velocity is slower than I expected, but that’s where my rifle likes it. I’m positive I will group better when better brass is on the market. The Atlas Development Group stuff has been sold out long time.

140gr Berger Elite Hunters
2870 FPS
7 FPS SD
Hornady brass
Fed 210M
IMR 7977

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L
I have the very same rifle. I am getting 1/2” 5 shot groups. I’m happy because i will use it for hunting. My velocity is slower than I expected, but that’s where my rifle likes it. I’m positive I will group better when better brass is on the market. The Atlas Development Group stuff has been sold out long time.

140gr Berger Elite Hunters
2870 FPS
7 FPS SD
Hornady brass
Fed 210M
IMR 7977

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am using the junk Hornady brass as well. I have enough of it to get me through hunting season, then I will be looking for something else. I have delayed load development with 156 Bergers for now, with temps 95-100+ degrees around here the last several weeks, and my local range being closed. Good thing the factory fodder works well. I am surprised at the low velocity you are getting with 140s, but at least you are getting good accuracy. I need to get my loads chronographed.

Last edited:

ak max 83

FNG
Advantage of lower velocity is recoil is like a 243. I can probably work up again to find next velocity node. 140gr @ 3000 is a potent pill.

These havaks have rock creek barrels. I wish they had the 1:7.5” twist for the 156ers. When my barrel gets tired I’ll probably do another 300short.

JakeSCH

WKR
The 140 Elite Hunters typically have another good node around 3050 and you have plenty of room to go up there especially with RL26. My rifle is a CA Mesa shooting 0.3" groups or less with the combo but i've talked to others who came to the same conclusion with their rifles (Seekins, custom builds, etc). With ADG brass you can crank them up over 3100 but really there is no need.

ak max 83

FNG
The 140 Elite Hunters typically have another good node around 3050 and you have plenty of room to go up there especially with RL26. My rifle is a CA Mesa shooting 0.3" groups or less with the combo but i've talked to others who came to the same conclusion with their rifles (Seekins, custom builds, etc). With ADG brass you can crank them up over 3100 but really there is no need.

How do you like your CA? It was a tough choice between the ridgeline, mesa and havak. I get excited for new new - hence why I bought the Havak.

I am still hopeful to find ADG brass. I've expressed the popularity of the short fat case to even Peterson. To date, I'm still pushing them out of Hornady - not bad stuff but can be better.

JakeSCH

WKR
I really the mesa, i have the regular mesa in 6.5 PRC and the mesa ti in 300 WM. Both shoot very well, good trigger, and tight tolerances.

My biggest issue with CA is that their weight advertising is deceiving. The stock on both rifles feels good, but came in at 40 oz over their list (33 oz). Both rifles all "in" are right at 9 lb, but plan on dropping their weights closer to 8 lb in the next year by replacing the stocks.

OP
L
Still waiting for that Tikka T3x in 6.5prc that supposedly is coming out...I will need to have that too. 140 Berger will be on my list if the 156 doesn't work out.

ak max 83

FNG
Still waiting for that Tikka T3x in 6.5prc that supposedly is coming out...I will need to have that too. 140 Berger will be on my list if the 156 doesn't work out.
Lonewolf. I'm embarrased with the amount of Tikka's I own. If tikka makes a PRC, I hope they release it with modern twist rates. Every tikka is GTG out of the box. 1:11" for 30 cal stuff. Come on... If Tikka/Sako did 1:7.5 for the 6.5prc, i'd be all over it.

ak max 83

FNG
Right!! Their slow twist rates drive me crazy. I would be all over that tikka / sako as well.
JakesSCH - I also avoid Tikka for any long action caliber. Tikka is prohibitive for magazine feeding due to SAAMI COAL. I believe Tikka can excel with medium length calibers using long action bolt stop and long action magazines. 6.5x284, 6.5 prc, 6.5x55 improved... you get the picture.

JakeSCH

WKR
For sure. One of the many reason why I went with the CA Mesa Ti for my 300 WM. The mag box is 3.7" which gives me more than enough room.

OP
L
Ak...nothing to be embarrassed about...I always seem to have 3 or 4 Tikkas in the rotation. They are the best deal going these days. I am sure you will see a "modern" twist rate in the 6.5PRC, but my guess is that it will match the 8" twist of the CM. Seems that a 7.5" twist would be too hopeful, since 8" looks to be the standard right now.

mapticon

FNG
The fellow at Oregon Mountain Rifle told me Tikka isnt planning on offering anything in 6.5 PRC since everything they make is flying off the shelves as it is. Aimed to buy the OMR Tikka upgrade, but in the end decided to go with a Seekins Element. Penciled it out and the Element wasn't that much more and almost 2lbs lighter.

HuntnPack

WKR
The fellow at Oregon Mountain Rifle told me Tikka isnt planning on offering anything in 6.5 PRC since everything they make is flying off the shelves as it is. Aimed to buy the OMR Tikka upgrade, but in the end decided to go with a Seekins Element. Penciled it out and the Element wasn't that much more and almost 2lbs lighter.
The Element is a Good choice, you’ll be happy with it. Really like mine. 👍

OP
L
The Element is what I wish my PH1 was...so I reluctantly sold it. The Element is so nice and light, I may eventually go there.

That is a bummer if the info. on the Tikka 6.5 PRC is accurate, and the OMR guy is really "in the know". In that case he will succeed in selling a few more Tikka upgrades. I know I can just rebarrel a Tikka to 6.5prc...but factory Tikkas can be damn accurate...it would be more cost-effective to just start with a factory-chambered rifle if it became available. Wish we could confirm from Tikka/Beretta whether they will be making a factory 6.5prc available.