Seekins Havak Element - 5.5 lbs!

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone see the release of the new Havak Element?

Seems like a novel idea with the sleeved aluminum setup similar to an AR to save weight.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m sure they have tested the hell out of it but I would be interested to see the max pressure before it blows the action apart. My thought is why not just make there own titanium action. Instead of doing this? Strength wise it’s so close to steel. And machining it isn’t that bad. Material cost is quite a bit more but still at that cost...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks sweet, titanium would have increased the cost plus they have tons of experience making ARs out of 7075 aluminum so I see the reasoning. Looks like a #4 contour almost . I wonder how balanced it is because of the reduced action weight.

Lukus1000

FNG
These rifles are pretty amazing and balance well, balance point right around the front of the magazine. The barrel is a hybrid, close to a 3- 4 contour but still maintains 5/8-24 threads so break or suppressor can be installed.

Oldffemt

WKR
This would sure check a lot of boxes for me but I think Wind Gypsy has the right idea. Guess I’ll just keep plugging elk with the old m70 for a couple more years.

I thought I’d wait a year or so to see reports of the Havak in 6.5 PRC ... after hearing the great responses I couldn’t find one in stock anywhere. It was about a 6 month wait on one direct from Seekins. 🤣

Oldffemt

WKR
7075 aluminum is incredibly tough material, it’s used for structural members in all kinds of aircraft including jets and helos. I’m just not sure how it would handle the pressure from a rifle shot. But it sure is interesting! Kinda wish I still worked around engineers....

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
7075 aluminum is incredibly tough material, it’s used for structural members in all kinds of aircraft including jets and helos. I’m just not sure how it would handle the pressure from a rifle shot. But it sure is interesting! Kinda wish I still worked around engineers....

The action will be plenty strong. The majority of the pressure will be handled by the barrel. This is really no different than how an AR is made and the majority of those receivers are 6061.

Wapiti1

WKR
There seems to be some misinterpretation here.

The aluminum receiver isn't what the bolt locks up with. They are using a steel barrel extension similar to an AR, so the steel bolt mates to a steel barrel extension. The aluminum is just a carrier to guide the bolt and provides no strength to the lock up.

Using titanium would likely make it heavier. Although you could make the barrel extension out of titanium and save a fraction of an ounce there, I suppose.

This is not an uncommon design in benchrest actions. The Kelbly Panda is one.

I like everything except the spiral barrel fluting. I'd rather it not be fluted at all.

Jeremy

Lukus1000

FNG
Action is smooth especially after a few cycles. Has a box or 2 thru it and I'm happy so far. Overall the features it has it's hard to beat. Integrated scope base and bubble level plus the bedding area of the action is beefed up so its stronger that a upper receiver. And it shoots great. Hopefully be able to post some pictures of how it preforms on game after next week! I will try to remember to give some more updates as round count keeps going up.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
How’s the element going ? Have you hand loaded for it ? Wondering if it was possible to get 3000 FPS with that 21 inch barrel
Curious about velocity as well. If I could push 130s at 3k it would make me a whole lot more interested in having one.

Lukus1000

FNG
Sorry guys, been working like crazy and every chance i have i am out in the woods chasing deer and Elk. I did double check velocity and it was on par and verified drop out to 500 yards. it is a hammer on deer for sure. Didn't get a chance to get a elk with it. I will try to get a weight this week and as far as hand loading i have not messed with the PRC much and have not played with the 130s at all. with factory ammo shooting bug holes with the 143eldx idk if i will mess much with it. I let a 12 year old kid shoot it off tripod and he was smoking softball size rocks out to 450yds. Now he wants one haha.

Sorry guys, been working like crazy and every chance i have i am out in the woods chasing deer and Elk. I did double check velocity and it was on par and verified drop out to 500 yards. it is a hammer on deer for sure. Didn't get a chance to get a elk with it. I will try to get a weight this week and as far as hand loading i have not messed with the PRC much and have not played with the 130s at all. with factory ammo shooting bug holes with the 143eldx idk if i will mess much with it. I let a 12 year old kid shoot it off tripod and he was smoking softball size rocks out to 450yds. Now he wants one haha.
Awesome sounds like a turn key shooter!