Seekins ph2

Tdmouse29

FNG
I actually want to put the element stock on the ph2 so I’ll have to order direct either way. I’m ok with waiting lol but I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strictly because of the camo lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were shooting factory:

Hornady 200g eldx
HSM 185g Berger
Both shot pretty good (at or slightly above 1/2” 3 shots)

Hard to find but the Berger factory ammo loaded with 215’s shot really well. Anytime we can find any of it we snatch it up.

My PH1 in 28 nos loves the Berger 195’s and retumbo or H1000. Don’t think you can go wrong with either. Easier to find more/better factory options for the .300

OP
E

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Update on my ph2 in 6.5 prc.
I like the gun weight and balance and trigger. Bolt throw and smoothness is very good. Mild complaint would be safety is loud to take off but in most hunting situations I am in it would not be a big deal. I have a couple observations. Not sure they are problems. Even with my brass trimmed to .012 less than max after firing the rim of the neck will have a couple by appearance rifling marks. I brass is trimmed only ,006 under max most brass will have 3-4 of those marks. Other observation is with max loads my velocity is 100-150 fps below other 24 inch tubes. basically it looks like my barrel is not making pressure which equals velocity at posted powder charges. I have been 1-2 grains over max with rl-26, h1000 and retumbo and still no pressure signs and velocities are just getting to where they should be for a 6.5 prc with 140 pills. Accuracy has been good but not great. Some .7-.8 moa groups at 100. My savage long range hunter in 6.5x284 bought at same time however has been .4-.5 moa quite a bit. It reached expected velocities with expected amounts of powder.
So am still happy with my seekins prc good solid gun Just need to find a load that hits prc velocities with .75 or better accuracy.

Update on my ph2 in 6.5 prc.
Even with my brass trimmed to .012 less than max after firing the rim of the neck will have a couple by appearance rifling marks. I brass is trimmed only ,006 under max most brass will have 3-4 of those marks.

It doesn't make sense that rifling would be in contact with the brass mouths. SAAMI 6.5 PRC freebore is 0.1879" long so the start of the lands should be even further in front of that. If the chamber is really imprinting the mouth of your brass with something that looks like rifling it sounds like a messed up chamber to me. I would take a look with a bore scope (teslong brand on amazon are only $45 and work well) . See SAAMI print linked below for reference.

OP
E

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
That is true. I should have said it looks like it is hitting the rifling.

That is true. I should have said it looks like it is hitting the rifling.

Got any pics? Are you fairly experienced with reloading to where you what you’re seeing is not right? Seekins CS was responsive to my issues so it’d be worth it to give them a shout.

The first PH1 I had came with shallow headspacing and a non concentric barrel.. A lot of folks have had good luck with them but I sure don’t have any confidence in their quality control.

Last edited:
OP
E

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I do have pictures and video of the fired brass. I have been reloading for 25 years and feel confident in understanding the ins and outs of most reloading issues and fixes.
I did leave a message with seekins about the marks on the mouth of the brass and the lack of pressure signs and velocity even after exceeding max book loads carefully by 1-1.5 grains. Accuracy has been ok but not as good as I was hoping for. I have went through barrel break in and of the 15 3 shot groups I have shot my 2 best are ,4 moa and .7 moa. But 3 shot groups were not repeatable with the same loads next outing. Mostly it is shooting around 1-1.2 inches.

Thomas11

WKR
I recently sent mine back after initially not getting acceptable accuracy. They called me after receiving rifle and said they cleaned bbl and hand lapped it and then shot for testing. The return target measured .65. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it. Mine is a 6.5 prc

I recently sent mine back after initially not getting acceptable accuracy. They called me after receiving rifle and said they cleaned bbl and hand lapped it and then shot for testing. The return target measured .65. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it. Mine is a 6.5 prc

3 shots?

slowelk

WKR
I can finally contribute something meaningful to this thread as I was able to shoot my PH2 in 300WM for the first time yesterday after having it for about a month.

Gun wears a Maven Rs3, I'm using a Muzzle Brakes and More Beast 4-port self-timing brake, and all shooting was done from prone using a Javelin Pro-Hunt bipod.

I ordered this gun in August 2020 and I got it on 2/9/21, so I had a lot of time to stress over whether or not mine was going to be a shooter, and now I can finally breathe a big sigh of relief and say that I do have a shooter.

Upon receiving the gun, I cleaned it thoroughly. The action and bolt were full of grease, and the chamber and bore were very greasy too. After reading everything I could find on break-in, I relied on my own experience, and decided to not do any type of barrel break-in. I shot 38 shots with no cleaning. The first 20 were the cheapest 300 WM rounds I've been able to find lately at my LGS, Federal blue box 150gr soft points. The picture below was shots 14-20 down the barrel. My Ballistic-X app was on the fritz, and was not allowing me to export or save group sizes, but this one measured slight over 0.75MOA.

IMG_0821.jpg

The next 18 shots were all with Berger loaded 215gr Hybrids. After the first photo I was trying to zero, and of course the wind picked up, so I still have some fine-tuning to do. I have 82 rounds remaining of Berger 215s and 100 rounds of Unknown Munitions 212 ELDX that I still need to test. all of the following groups measured between 0.54 MOA and 0.61 MOA.

IMG_0822.jpg
IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0824.jpg

I am VERY happy with these results all things considered, that Muzzle Brakes and More brake makes those 215s very pleasurable to shoot. Next time out I will shoot the 212 ELDX, get a solid zero with the 215s, and chrono both rounds.

Some negative things to report: magazine feeding was inconsistent. About half the time the bolt would struggle to pick up the first and second rounds out of the mag, but the third was never an issue and always chambered buttery smooth. I am not sure what to do about that. I also don't love the stock. The checkered "texturing" on the palm is pretty smooth and leaves something to be desired.

I can finally contribute something meaningful to this thread as I was able to shoot my PH2 in 300WM for the first time yesterday after having it for about a month.

Gun wears a Maven Rs3, I'm using a Muzzle Brakes and More Beast 4-port self-timing brake, and all shooting was done from prone using a Javelin Pro-Hunt bipod.

I ordered this gun in August 2020 and I got it on 2/9/21, so I had a lot of time to stress over whether or not mine was going to be a shooter, and now I can finally breathe a big sigh of relief and say that I do have a shooter.

Upon receiving the gun, I cleaned it thoroughly. The action and bolt were full of grease, and the chamber and bore were very greasy too. After reading everything I could find on break-in, I relied on my own experience, and decided to not do any type of barrel break-in. I shot 38 shots with no cleaning. The first 20 were the cheapest 300 WM rounds I've been able to find lately at my LGS, Federal blue box 150gr soft points. The picture below was shots 14-20 down the barrel. My Ballistic-X app was on the fritz, and was not allowing me to export or save group sizes, but this one measured slight over 0.75MOA.

View attachment 273621

The next 18 shots were all with Berger loaded 215gr Hybrids. After the first photo I was trying to zero, and of course the wind picked up, so I still have some fine-tuning to do. I have 82 rounds remaining of Berger 215s and 100 rounds of Unknown Munitions 212 ELDX that I still need to test. all of the following groups measured between 0.54 MOA and 0.61 MOA.

View attachment 273623
View attachment 273624
View attachment 273625

I am VERY happy with these results all things considered, that Muzzle Brakes and More brake makes those 215s very pleasurable to shoot. Next time out I will shoot the 212 ELDX, get a solid zero with the 215s, and chrono both rounds.

Some negative things to report: magazine feeding was inconsistent. About half the time the bolt would struggle to pick up the first and second rounds out of the mag, but the third was never an issue and always chambered buttery smooth. I am not sure what to do about that. I also don't love the stock. The checkered "texturing" on the palm is pretty smooth and leaves something to be desired.
I had feeding issues with my PH1. Sent the gun back and they refit a new carbon fiber magazine. The original mag just didn’t fit right it would feed smoothly sometimes and then not perform other times. Haven’t had an issue since and I had then gun back in less then a week. They also threw in an extra mag for my problems. Sucks to have any problems at all but CS was really good and they fixed the issue immediately and with no cost to me. Maybe your issue is something simple like this. Hope it helps.

slowelk

WKR
I had feeding issues with my PH1. Sent the gun back and they refit a new carbon fiber magazine. The original mag just didn’t fit right it would feed smoothly sometimes and then not perform other times. Haven’t had an issue since and I had then gun back in less then a week. They also threw in an extra mag for my problems. Sucks to have any problems at all but CS was really good and they fixed the issue immediately and with no cost to me. Maybe your issue is something simple like this. Hope it helps.

That is good to know. The idea of sending my rifle off again isn’t appealing to be honest, but I can’t have any feeding issues in the field.

That is good to know. The idea of sending my rifle off again isn’t appealing to be honest, but I can’t have any feeding issues in the field.
Could always call them and see if they will ship you a new magazine or two and see if that fixes the issue without shipping the gun to them.

View attachment 273621

View attachment 273623
View attachment 273624
View attachment 273625

Heck yeah man, nice shooting.

I've heard the carbon mags can be finicky and they have to rework some of em. Mine have fed slicker than shit and I think they are a real big attribute to the setup. Almost room to go to 4", super light, mag release is out of the way, quiet - much preferred to a typical LA AICS setup.

slowelk

WKR
Bringing this back up after seeing the new bolt offering from Seekins. I'm not a PRS shooter, so cock on close didn't deter me from purchasing (obviously), but I am slightly intrigued by their new cock on open and tool-less disassembly.

What do others think about the change? Worth sending your whole rifle in to get a new bolt?