Seekins Precision Havak PH-1 Review Coming!

Sheesh that seems like a hell of a lot of work for a $2000 rifle I hope that was covered under warranty...

It was. They basically sent me a new rifle. They have been good on the customer service end.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered one of these up in 6 creedmoor. Took 2 months longer to build than what they said. When I finally received it I took it out to break it in and sight it in. First trigger pull, click. No primer strike reloaded it. Click. Went to open it and as soon as I touched the bolt it fired and I wasn't on the gun Scared the heck out me. Anyway long story short it only fired 2 out of 6. Sent it in and had it back in about a week. They changed a bushing and trigger. Paper said they test fired 10 of the rounds I sent back and 20 of theirs. When I read that I was pissed because I like to shoot and clean ever shot for the first box. Probably not necessary but I have had great results with other rifles doing it.
Well, I got over being pissed because I took it back out the other day and did a 3 shot group and a 5 shot group at a 100 yards and they were dime size and all touching. Its a shooter with the 103s!

Almost nothing makes me as mad as buying new gear only to have immediate failures. Glad it had a happy ending. 5-shot groups are not for the faint of heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review Matt. The fact that is actually a cock on close action explains why it felt so horrible when I cycled them. I thought it was a poorly timed cock on open action with some cock on close. It looks like a lot of gun for the money.

Ryan,

I think I may need to edit the article. The closing of the bolt FEELS like a cock on close action, although this may be just the seating of the Havak’s lugs. The bolt lift is consistent whether fired or not, but you can see movement in the firing pin assembly when you open the bolt. when you close the bolt, the bolt hood then comes flush with the back of the firing pin assembly.

In any case both the bolt lift and the the bolt close are firmer than other actions. It was not a problem for me.

FURMAN

WKR
Ryan,

I think I may need to edit the article. The closing of the bolt FEELS like a cock on close action, although this may be just the seating of the Havak’s lugs. The bolt lift is consistent whether fired or not, but you can see movement in the firing pin assembly when you open the bolt. when you close the bolt, the bolt hood then comes flush with the back of the firing pin assembly.

In any case both the bolt lift and the the bolt close are firmer than other actions. It was not a problem for me.

So it is not a cock on close action? Now I am back to where I started. The cock on close was so bad on the two I touched I immediately put them back on the shelf. I still feel it is a lot of rifle for the money but after having so many custom actions I just can't deal with that poor action timing. It has been a while since I have touched one. I can't remember if the cocking piece is exposed. I am sure you know but with cock on close you can see the cocking piece actually move rearward on a 700 as you close the bolt. It looks like the cocking piece is exposed in pics. Like I said I can not remember. Either way I do not believe the average guy would even notice. They do seem to shoot very well and they do have some nice features.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt what was your final COAL on the 212's? How long could you go and still mag feed?

I don’t want to post a coal, because rifles and handloaders vary.

There was room enough that I could feed them from the magazine to the lands. I ended up with some jump.

brn2hnt

WKR
I don’t want to post a coal, because rifles and handloaders vary.

There was room enough that I could feed them from the magazine to the lands. I ended up with some jump.

Fair enough, but do you know what mag length was then? Seems to be a limiting factor in all of the factory 300 WM I have looked at save Remmy's

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough, but do you know what mag length was then? Seems to be a limiting factor in all of the factory 300 WM I have looked at save Remmy's

I can get an internal magazine length measurement tonight. I am confident the magazine will not be a limiting factor, though.

Any update on the rifle since it was basically rebuilt by Seekins?

FURMAN

WKR
Ryan,

Matt, I called Seekins. They told me the action is 50/50 by design. I guess more people complain about difficulty opening than closing. I must be in the minority. The rifles are awesome for sure but I can not deal with cock on close. They are a lot of rifle for the money.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, I called Seekins. They told me the action is 50/50 by design. I guess more people complain about difficulty opening than closing. I must be in the minority. The rifles are awesome for sure but I can not deal with cock on close. They are a lot of rifle for the money.

Yeah. It is hard to tell just by feel. The lug engagement is firm too, so the feel is definitely unique. I got along with it fine.

In the magnum lengths with the carbon fiber magazine, are you happy with the magazine and the way it locks up in the weapon.

Got my 300 win mag rigged up with the Minox ZP5.

Using Barnes 175 LRX over 80.5 grains of H1000 at 3.335 COL, and using fgmm primers.

So far so good, but waiting in better weather to really get going on it. Like to try to get the 212 ELD-X to shoot out of it but it’s hard to bitch with the 175 as they probably will work in 98% of the situations.
2023E9DC-C31A-4079-88A6-8604AB72A8EE.jpegD6EFF09B-6CBA-4AD4-965A-59572F001667.jpeg

Any update on the rifle since it was basically rebuilt by Seekins?

Only got it to the range once and it was single digits out. Groups were not particularly impressive but they weren't with my other custom rifle on that day either so the jury is still out for me.

I’m going to give mine another whirl today hopefully. There is a pin in the top of the receiver that is covered by the pic rail. My pin wasn’t driven down flush, so when the Rail was torqued down it sprung the rail. I noticed loose screws on the rail, that’s how I figured it out. I bought the gun secondhand and have to wonder if accuracy issues could be the reason it was put up for sale.

After a call to Seekins, they told me to tap the pin in flush, and sent me a new rail. I bedded the new rail and am ready to give another try. I’ve only ran a pressure test through it and one group, but the chrono was on the barrel. I should be in business now.

First trip out after a new bedded rail. I’ve got a nice .6 grain wide node with a 7fps spread, so I shot for the middle of that. 2935 fps with ADG brass, 147 ELD-M’s, and CCI250’s. This group included the cold bore shot. It looks like I’ve got a good starting point. My other experiences with ELD’s has been they like between .040 and .130 jump, depending on the gun. I haven’t even measured the distance to the lands yet in this gun, but I’m encouraged with my progress.

IMG_3592.jpg

Duh

WKR
Only got it to the range once and it was single digits out. Groups were not particularly impressive but they weren't with my other custom rifle on that day either so the jury is still out for me.
Just found this thread. Did you ever get the 300 WM to shoot well after getting it back?

Just found this thread. Did you ever get the 300 WM to shoot well after getting it back?

No I didn’t. I just cut my losses and paid a smith to chamber a bartlein for it. It shoots well now.