SeekOutside Compare to Kifaru & Stone Glacier?

The best way is to try them all for yourself. That is what I did. Feels good to finally stop the madness (maybe haha) as it ended up being clear that the SG with Xcurve frame was best overall for me. Honestly I wanted the Kifaru to be the best, as it came down to SG and Kifaru. I had both frames loaded up with 60lbs and went back and forth. After multiple days of testing I did a pros/cons list and the SG won out.

Initially the Kifaru always felt more comfortable and there is no denying the belt and lumbar pad on Kifaru are second to known. However, the big difference for me was how well the Xcurve frame just stuck to my back and didn't slip down. Out of all the differences that was the one that pushed me to stick with SG. My second reason was I like using a load shelf. There is no better nor easier way to use a load shelf than SG. In my opinion Kifaru isn't designed to use a load shelf although they have a load shelf.

I have used Exo, KUIU, SG and Kifaru. Again, for me after testing them all the SG just works best for me.

I have also stated several times on Rokslide that I have battled front right hip discomfort with my Xcurve which was why I tried Kifaru. I have come to realize it has something to do with how my hip bone is on my right side as my left feels great. Even working through this I still chose the SG.

I hate typing but a few months ago I told a guy at SO I'd tell my story so here goes. I started out wearing the Kifaru ultralight about 10 years ago and it wasn't durable so I only wore it for one season. Then I got a bikini frame and that never was very comfy to me. So I sold it and bought a used 1st generation duplex and that thing was a tank! Totally indestructible. At the time it was the most comfy pack I had ever worn but still not perfect. The shoulder straps were uncomfortable. I could and did put up with it for at least a couple years, but then I decided to try some new stuff.

First I ordered the xcurve from SG and most of the time I couldn't get the hip belt to stay tight. I totally admit to being somewhat pudgy but it just seemed to me the SG is made for guys with a more athletic build. The few times I did get it snug it felt great with whatever weight I had in it. I took some foam out of the lumbar pad and that seemed to do the trick but at 55 years old I just didnt trust myself not to get fatter. So I sent it back for the full refund.

I wish that I'd have tried one of the newer Kifaru frames because I've read that they fixed the shoulder straps but I didnt. Next I bought the SO revo frame and lanner bag and I thought it was the most comfy pack I ever wore until it got to about 45 lbs. then somehow the load lifters would slip once in a while and my neck and shoulders would get sore and I'd pull the lifters tight and be good for another mile or two. Needless to say 70 plus lbs. didnt work well for me at all. Not even on level ground. So after talking to a guy who's name I can't remember, I put a little more than 20 lbs. in it and did the step by step adjustments from Kevins video. I also switched to the four inch frame extensions because I have a long torso

Now I can say without a doubt my SO is the most comfy pack Ive ever worn even with 70 plus lbs. up and down steep mountains and Ive got to throw in that they make a hip belt for me no matter how fat I get! I thought about selling my laner bag plus a 4800 fortress bag and building one of there custom bags but when I got done building I had just built another lanner. Now they've got this new forward pull hip belt Im gonna buy and I do believe I'll have the closest thing to a perfect pack that I can get. FOR ME! ymmv One more thing I do believe I could get quite a bit more than 70 lbs. in relative comfort. Hopefully I'll get to put it to the test this year. And one more thing! If you get one watch all the videos because there's a hundred different ways to adjust it for comfort but once you get it fine tuned, you're set.

Last edited: