Seeley Lake, MT Hunting and Fishing

mwebs

WKR
Have a potential job opportunity around Seeley Lake and looking for opinions on the hunting and fishing in the area. Specifically Elk and Bird hunting. I know everyone is sick of people moving to their areas from out of state and hunting their animals, but at least I’m coming from Idaho..

I’m having a hard time talking myself into moving because I love the fishing in Eastern Idaho and I don’t think the Blackfoot is going to do it for me. But the bird hunting around here leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyways I will be doing my research but thought I would throw it out here as well.

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't know about birds but they have elk around there and good bear hunting. It's close to Missoula so it has a good amount of pressure from both hunters and folks out hiking and camping but if you get off the roads and trails my experience has been good out there, at least during spring bear. I've got other spots for elk so i can't speak to what is like in September, but I see tons of elk in the spring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t speak much to the hunting, but the Blackfoot is a pretty cool river that you should be able to get dialed in.

Mt Al

WKR
I'm not familiar with the immediate area, but you're not far from a lot of excellent fishing. I can imagine bird hunting is very good there other than mountain grouse, conjecture only though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
no bird hunting to speak of in and around Seeley Lake (save blue/ruffed/spruce grouse)- a two hour-ish drive to Polson/Ronan would get you into some pheasant/hun hunting

elk hunting yes, but with the caveat that it's pretty rough country (that's being generous :D) in the Swan Range

Wapiti1

WKR
In all honesty, it's probably the same or very similar to where you are not knowing exactly where you are in Idaho. Pheasants are north, south or way east. If you go east you also get into sharptails, huns and more waterfowl. Deer, elk, and bear are in that area, and as mentioned, it's rough country. It is also wolf and griz country. Limited for antelope north, and south, east is where the antelope are.

Depending on your fishing needs, there is great fishing if you look around a bit.

Good huckleberry picking if you're willing to hike to them and willing to deal with commercial pickers and bears. It's worth it IMO. You'd be just south of Montana cherries.

It's a nice area, but somewhat out of the way. Kind of a between destinations kind of place.

Jeremy

OP
M

mwebs

WKR
The mountains won’t be any tougher than what I spend my time in in Idaho and Wyoming. I have a general idea of the elk hunting, I understand what wilderness, wolves and bear do to populations. Some of the rivers around there are definitely intriguing but it’s hard to beat Henry’s and South Fork, seems like I see more MT plates there than ID so that’s concerning haha. Duck hunting here isn’t great, pheasant is all WMAs and stocked so that gets hammered. In my mind I figured it would be similar around Seeley but wanted some opinions. Might live around Missoula to.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
there is approximately 0% upland habitat anywhere near Seeley

lots of lakes, so some early waterfowl potential

well you can also say you've hunted in Montana before so it's probably no tougher hunting elk there, but I would want to actually hunt the Swan Range before I said that :)

No upland. Some waterfowl. Tough elk hunting. Plenty of grizzlies. Enjoy the swarm of tourists and cabin-goers every summer.

Moserkr

WKR
Waterfowl and upland game just over the mountains in the flathead valley. Big game all around, lots of bears including griz. Beautiful area I used to hunt. Plenty of fishing/hunting but you may have to drive a little to find exactly what you want, but opportunities are there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
No upland. Some waterfowl. Tough elk hunting. Plenty of grizzlies. Enjoy the swarm of tourists and cabin-goers every summer.
Exactly what I was going to say about grizzlies. Certainly no shortage of them in that country.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Here's a Seeley lake resident! This picture was taken by one of our UPS drivers in the Condon area!

Attachments

• IMG_0076(1).jpg
    IMG_0076(1).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 53
OP
M

mwebs

WKR
Thanks, there’s some good info. So your saying there’s not a place that is undiscovered, has great fly fishing, great elk, deer, duck and pheasant hunting along with cool gently sloping mountains!? Haha.

I do a lot of hiking and fishing in prime Griz country and have had a few encounters, but I don’t elk hunt in it. We go to a different part of the state. So hunting around there would mean I need to get more proficient with a hand gun.

Seems like overall it would be pretty similar to what I have going on now.

Thanks, there’s some good info. So your saying there’s not a place that is undiscovered, has great fly fishing, great elk, deer, duck and pheasant hunting along with cool gently sloping mountains!? Haha.

I do a lot of hiking and fishing in prime Griz country and have had a few encounters, but I don’t elk hunt in it. We go to a different part of the state. So hunting around there would mean I need to get more proficient with a hand gun.

Seems like overall it would be pretty similar to what I have going on now.
The data are clear: bear spray is more effective in deterring a bear attack and it’s use results in fewer injuries when compared to firearm use for defense and attack deterrence.

I’ve hunted in grizzly country for many years and prefer to carry bear spray. Bears can charge at around 50’/second, so that doesn’t leave a fella much time to react. Obviously, choose the deterrent (spray or firearm) you are most comfortable with and can use most proficiently, but realize the analyses continually show spray is the most safe and effective.

OP
M

mwebs

WKR
The data are clear: bear spray is more effective in deterring a bear attack and it’s use results in fewer injuries when compared to firearm use for defense and attack deterrence.

I’ve hunted in grizzly country for many years and prefer to carry bear spray. Bears can charge at around 50’/second, so that doesn’t leave a fella much time to react. Obviously, choose the deterrent (spray or firearm) you are most comfortable with and can use most proficiently, but realize the analyses continually show spray is the most safe and effective.

Let’s not turn this into a spray vs gun thread. I always just carry spray when hiking or fishing in griz country.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted elk and deer many years in the area, since 1983. Many ruffed grouse are available and unhunted. One year elk hunting with a bow my brother and I shot several for supper with judo heads. If you missed they flew 20 yards and landed to give you another chance. Another time rifle season I stood for 15 minutes and watched ruffed grouse flush 1,2,3 at a time. Had to be several dozen at least grouped up. There are also Franklin, Spruce/Blue grouse. They only get shot from the road for the most part. Part of the reason it’s giant country, difficult to target. Also few people/hunters. Also with the number of Griz in the area a little shaky.
As far as the deer and elk go in many areas I would use the word sterile to describe game numbers compared to how it once was not so long ago. There had always been coyotes and bears and lions. Now add wolves. They have decimated game numbers. I hunt the east side now and doing very well. No bears, but more important no wolves. Not for long anyway.

It sounds like great wolf bear and lion hunting 😁. We used to fish in that area when driving up to Big Fork. Cool area but lots of Tourist in summer, but no worse than the hordes who visit Yellowstone via US 20. And only half a day drive away to go steelhead fishing.