Seems to be a good year on CO public land

A friend of mine took his first Elk since moving to CO about 3 years ago. I don't know much about scoring but I'd say its a ~220" 5x5 bull that was probably 3-4 years old if I was to guess. It might be bigger or smaller. Its just about 30" max spread. It was solo on public near steamboat.. which could be like in 1 of 4 different units.

Weird post? As if that area doesn't get enough pressure you came here to post that why? Lots of elk. WAY too many people. Funny story. I had a friend up there 3 days before season this year. He heard one or two bugles a night, in the middle of the night. Opening day- he said he literally heard dozens. You should edit your location out so it doesn't get worse. Trailheads are already literally full. Congrats to your buddy.

svivian

WKR
Sorry to be that guy but for others who come to CO the tag goes on the quarter with proof of sex. Nice bull though!
Lol I didn’t even notice that. Mine go around the tendon on the hind quarter through the slot you hang it from. Where I hunt proof of sex isn’t required.

If you think that’s funny you should try guiding guys that call a 5x5 bull a 10 point. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

svivian

WKR
Lol I didn’t even notice that. Mine go around the tendon on the hind quarter through the slot you hang it from. Where I hunt proof of sex isn’t required.
I do the same! Guys get so confused here for whatever reason. Just trying to save someone the hassle of questioning by the warden

sndmn11

WKR
Sorry to be that guy but for others who come to CO the tag goes on the quarter with proof of sex. Nice bull though!
And doesn't need to be on that quarter until at camp or the vehicle.

We can be that guy together; the regulations specifically call out for the carcass tag to not be on the antlers a few times for the people who read them.

We can be that guy together; the regulations specifically call out for the carcass tag to not be on the antlers a few times for the people who read them.
I have kept tags in my pocket until I hit camp to avoid losing them. It’s punched and signed of course. Mostly when backpacking them. When I’m packing out a bull with horses in panniers I attach it.

Ucsdryder

WKR

I’ve never put a carcass tag on an animal. I keep it in my pocket punched and signed. That way I’m not digging through game bags looking for it, or worse, have it fall off or get ripped off.

sndmn11

WKR
I have kept tags in my pocket until I hit camp to avoid losing them. It’s punched and signed of course. Mostly when backpacking them. When I’m packing out a bull with horses in panniers I attach it.
I’ve never put a carcass tag on an animal. I keep it in my pocket punched and signed. That way I’m not digging through game bags looking for it, or worse, have it fall off or get ripped off.

Exactly. Sign that thing, cut the dates, take a picture if you don't trust yourself, and stick it in the safest place in your pack or pockets until you get to camp/home/vehicle.

Taking a picture is a good idea.

OP, that's a great bull. I see no issues with your original post. There is no shortage of elk in that area and like you said, a lot of units come together around Steamboat. I've even hunted a few myself.

Exactly. Sign that thing, cut the dates, take a picture if you don't trust yourself, and stick it in the safest place in your pack or pockets until you get to camp/home/vehicle.
Anyone sign their tags ahead of time as to not have to bring a pen into the backcountry or is that bad juju and the reason why I'm striking out this year?! 😂

OP
D
He said it was his buddy’s first elk, I am sure it was pretty exciting for him. Not everyone has to get a 300 to enjoy the hunt. For some it’s about the experience.

Shawn
Bingo.. I'd be happy with it as a first elk. He's been grinding it out for 3 seasons on his own. not sure about the actual stats but not many self guides hints are first year success