Selecting a rifle

I have been shopping around and researching everything I can to help make my mind up on the next rifle I buy but there is so many options I can’t make my mind up.
I want to buy a rifle chambered in 300 win mag. My budget is about $1000 max on just the rifle. This will be used mostly as an elk hunting rifle. In 2022 I will be hunting mule deer in the Black Hills and will be planning to use this rifle on that hunt as well
I keep going back and forth in my mind with Tikka lite or Browning x bolt western hunter. But I’m open to other options as well

If anyone has any recommendations I surely would appreciate it. Decisions I am having trouble deciding are do I need the muzzle break or not and barrel length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
Of the two you listed, I'd recommend the Tikka. For just $250 more than your budget, I'd also consider Christensen Arms Mesa.

For the money, the Tikka t3x lite or superlite is tough to beat.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Browning is a nice gun, well beyond the win xpr. Xpr is a budget gun.

Tika's got a nice trigger.

Can you shoot a light gun in 300 mag accurately?

Maybe you should go handle then at the local shop? I always like to see if a gun fits me before I drop $1,000 on it.

I own a Tikka T3 SL in 7RM (without brake) and a Browning HCS in 300WM (with brake). I like them both and they both shoot sub MOA. I shoot the 300WM without the brake. For some reason I grab the Tikka most often. It just fits me better. Wish I had picked the Tikka T3 SL when I purchased my 300WM.

OP
PAHuntinDad
I am leaning towards the Tikka myself. It feels nice when I shoulder it.
You guys prefer 24” or 26” barrel in the 300 win mag? I’d prefer to stay shorter if possible. Most shots with this rifle will be 250 yards and less. However I want the capability to shoot 500+, at the range at least.
Managing recoil etc Im not too concerned with. Been shooting rifles in 30.06, 308, etc since I was a kid. Maybe the brake isn’t necessary then
Thanks

Wapiti1

WKR
24" is good. Although you won't notice a different between 24 and 26 in the field.

If you are only going to shoot factory ammo, the Tikka is a good choice. A Weatherby Vanguard should also be on your list IMO as should Kimber and the Winchester mentioned above.

If there is an option to get a threaded barrel, you should. If you never use it, fine. If you decide you want to, you will have the option ready to go.

They are all good rifles that each have slightly different features and feel.

Jeremy

BCD

WKR
I would definitely choose the Browning over the Tilkka. I would also look at Bergara B14 Wilderness Hunter and The Vanguard First Lite and Multi Cam.

mmac

WKR
You should check out some of the weatherby vanguards. Buddy picked up one of the meateater editions and it shoots fantastic.

I am leaning towards the Tikka myself. It feels nice when I shoulder it.
You guys prefer 24” or 26” barrel in the 300 win mag? I’d prefer to stay shorter if possible. Most shots with this rifle will be 250 yards and less. However I want the capability to shoot 500+, at the range at least.
Managing recoil etc Im not too concerned with. Been shooting rifles in 30.06, 308, etc since I was a kid. Maybe the brake isn’t necessary then
Thanks

24 would be my preference. Had mine cut back to 23 and would have gone shorter if it wasn’t fluted.

bttf

FNG
I would choose tikka for the hunting rifle. Well built with great trigger out of box.

I have a tikka t3 in 30-06. The rifle right out of the box feels like a BB gun, and I would be reluctant to shoot it in magnum calibers, but I’m kind of a recoil sissy. It weighs 7.5 lbs with a 50 mm scope, strap and a loaded mag. It’s a joy to tote. I have a limbsaver recoil pad on it. I don’t mind the recoil with bullets up to 165 and can shoot it all day. At 180 grains the recoil starts to get “right smart” as they say and I’m starting to not like it, and it definitely screws with my accuracy.

mlob1one

WKR
A limbsaver is an upgrade I'd highly recommend for any Tikka as the stock butt pad is not great.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Bergara B-14 Ridge and the rifle is very nice for the Money, great trigger, threaded muzzle, nice stock, great action sub $1000, that was a year ago, not sure now. I think msrp is $945. Only downfall I've experienced is the weight