Self filming

Looking to do some self filming on a budget. Any ideas for a starter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting247

Recently bought a Panasonic FZ300 bridge camera. I have just been playing around filming trying to get better. This camera has been for me very simple to video with. I have been using every weekend to film alot of elk out on the wintering grounds around my house and I am very impressed with the video I get from it. I haven't ventured out much from auto mode, just been playing around with white balance, color. I have a rode video mic on it and I couldnt be more pleased. Again, I'm not a professional by no means so this camera has been a real pleasure to learn from. I can get great video from long distances away and still very pleasing to the eye as long as I stay in optical zoom range. Couple of weeks ago I videoed one of my neighbors walking on her road at 620 yards away. I can tell you she was wearing a purple hat, white head band, purple scarf and white leg warmers. That's good enough for me Just my thoughts

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
I use a muddy camera arm, the cheap one. I have a cheap Walmart tripod for using in the ground blind.
The camera I use is absolutely phenomenal. its a canon Powershot elph 180.

the camera only costs around 110$ and it takes unreal video and pictures!

There is no choice there. Mirrorless is the way to go. Larger sensor and better optics will give you MUCH better images. Mirrorless will only cost more then very entry level camcorders. You can get some very reasonably priced mirrorless cameras, Sony A6000, Canon M50, Olympus EM10- Mk 2
Camcorder sales have been dropping for years and the drop is quicker the last 2 years as mirrorless has taken over

jeepfan

FNG
The OP said "self film" and "budget" but doesn't say what kind of hunting he does nor what his budget is. There is treestand self filming and ground blind self filming and I suppose you could even self film some kind of western spot and stalk. Self filming adds a new dimension to camera options especially if the user is a newbie or novice and it also depends on that type of self filming is taking place. A turkey blind is going to allow easier self filming with different types of cameras. Tree stand self filming is quite different because your subject could be close or far and depending on what type of camera or accessories are used a self filmer might have to use one hand to turn the camera on, hit record, frame the shot using the zoom ring or rocker, focus the shot using the focus ring, all while preparing for a shot and making sure the subject is still in the frame. If a self filmer does this with two hands then they still have to prepare for the shot and make sure the subject is still framed. A camera with a remote control mounted on a fluid head handle make all of that easier. Budget is subjective which is why it would help to know what the budget is.