Self-Made Tent - Tipi/Wall Tent Hybrid

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
I started messing around with this a couple years ago. I was in the market for something I could use with the family. I wanted to improve on tipi by improving the usable space inside while reducing the footprint required and make entry more functional. However, I wanted to keep the top mostly conical to help with wind. However, design is not completely original. Ellis Canvas makes canvas tents of this style. So far I really like it. (I haven't been on here in a long time, but last time I was a tent like this was being discussed so forgive me if this is nothing new.)

I can tie up the walls for ventilation.

Pole to support high point of walls. I've also used trekking poles for this.

I think this was the first trip it was used. We took our son. The goats were only yearling so were not much help at the time.

It's time like this that the smaller footprint come into play.

Family trip this summer. Now we have two that need to come along.

The goats are able to help a little at two years old.

Community Room for Elk Camp

Attachments

• DSC_0022_resize.JPG
    DSC_0022_resize.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 96
OP
Battle

Battle

Lil-Rokslider

September Snow Storm

Desarae (Western Bounty) always seems to get better weather on her October hunts then I do on my September hunts.

Can't wait for next year. The goats will be 3.5 years old and will be packing 40 lbs each.

OP
Battle

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
088faeac7eb1d0d1128d01cffef43396.jpg

Baby girl taking a nap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
I like it...very good use of space.

How's it do in the wind?
Care to share the plans?

OP
Battle

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
How's it do in the wind?
Care to share the plans?

I haven’t really pushed it in the wind, at least not to failure. If you want to take it on message me and I can send you the pattern dimensions I used.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
How’s the weight all together, or is that not much of an issue with the goats?

OP
Battle

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
How’s the weight all together, or is that not much of an issue with the goats?

I think it is around 10 lbs with that Kifaru medium oval stove, poles and stakes. But yeah, weight is becoming less and less of an issue. Still I want light weight stuff so I have the capacity to bring out a boned out bull (maybe 2 someday) and camp in one trip.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is around 10 lbs with that Kifaru medium oval stove, poles and stakes. But yeah, weight is becoming less and less of an issue. Still I want light weight stuff so I have the capacity to bring out a boned out bull (maybe 2 someday) and camp in one trip.

Thats awesome! Do you have any plans that you followed, that looks awesome! How’s your total cost come out comparing to one of the large Kifaru or SO?

OP
Battle

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
Thats awesome! Do you have any plans that you followed, that looks awesome! How’s your total cost come out comparing to one of the large Kifaru or SO?

I came up with the pattern using a CAD model. I think materials were close to $600 and I paid to have the second tent laser cut by RipstopByTheRoll. I used the best material I could find; very similar specs to what Hilleberg uses. Cutting the pieces is not enjoyable.