Selfbow Build

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried to build selfbows out of hackberry, wateroak and ash but never could get one to stay together. Last summer on a trip to Kansas to visit friends I asked if I could cut some Osage and they were happy to let me cut one when they heard what I wanted to do with it. I watched videos and texted a friend who’s built many to help guide me. I must say I am very happy with the end result! What you folks think?
70CEACA0-9856-463D-86C6-DF88195E37C9.jpg
70E7423B-49C6-4044-BA06-47181839E014.jpeg
C6404CD0-D9B5-43A5-AF4F-C51E100890BC.jpeg
7A628F63-ECC3-4A48-823A-08FB66FDB904.jpeg

A6F3ED3C-1567-4006-9D75-FFE271C063AC.jpeg

OP
S

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
Right we’re I was hoping at 42# at my 26” draw. It shoots right where I’m looking and very little hand shock! I haven’t got to shoot any of my wood arrows out it yet but will as soon as I get home from this job.

OP
S

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
Looks really nice. Way better than anything I build. Did you steam the limbs or is that just the shape the stave gave you?
Yeah I had to take some twist out of one limb and I put a little reflex in the tips. Thanks

Ddog

WKR
Looks great, nice job! Very similar grip shape to my second one I recently completed. Working on an ironwood now for my 4th one. Gets ahold of ya quick, doesn't it?

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
That's a nice looking bow. I was gifted one years ago and even shot a little doe with it. That pretty yellow wood will naturally darken to a beautiful dark tea color over time.

OP
S

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
Looks great, nice job! Very similar grip shape to my second one I recently completed. Working on an ironwood now for my 4th one. Gets ahold of ya quick, doesn't it?
Yes Sir! Unfortunately my lower limb has a spot that’s lifting. But I’m told I can salvage it by wrapping with sinew. I’ll have to research how to do that. But I’ll start another one soon !B80E68FC-1586-44B9-9576-07CA4C312201.jpeg

OP
S

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good ! Now to get some flint and knap a few heads, make some river cane arrows and some pine pitch then you will be ruined lol..
I’m definitely wanting to do that! To take something with a complete hand made setup would be very special! Thanks guys!

Ddog

WKR
Yes Sir! Unfortunately my lower limb has a spot that’s lifting. But I’m told I can salvage it by wrapping with sinew. I’ll have to research how to do that. But I’ll start another one soon !View attachment 308245
I'm a beginner too, but if that's the back, which it looks like, use real sinew as it will shrink as it dries and hold better. I believe some guys use titebond 3 or super glue even. Hide glue is the most primitive option. Just tack the sinew down, wrap over a tag end and wrap past the crack a couple inches on both ends. Let dry and she might hold indefinitely. There's probably a few how-to's over on PA.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

OP
S

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a beginner too, but if that's the back, which it looks like, use real sinew as it will shrink as it dries and hold better. I believe some guys use titebond 3 or super glue even. Hide glue is the most primitive option. Just tack the sinew down, wrap over a tag end and wrap past the crack a couple inches on both ends. Let dry and she might hold indefinitely. There's probably a few how-to's over on PA.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
Yes sir that is the back of the bow
I have some tite bond 3, but will have to find some sinew or go kill a hog to get some fresh
T

jedi

FNG
that is awesome! im getting to the late stages of my first home made hickory bow. quick question, what did you seal the wood with? im not sure what to use for that just yet.

OP
S

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
that is awesome! im getting to the late stages of my first home made hickory bow. quick question, what did you seal the wood with? im not sure what to use for that just yet.
True Oil! Easy to use and seal it up well in only 4-5 coats
good luck on your build