Selfbow Build

OP
S

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
Well let’s see if this works……
I did a little research, artificial sinew from Hobby Lobby. Tite Bond 3 and wrap it up!

Attachments

• C9B701E8-E958-487B-9922-AF471E979179.jpeg
    C9B701E8-E958-487B-9922-AF471E979179.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 7

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
Artificial sinew has a waxy coating on it. Not sure I’d trust it. I’m no bowyer but I’ve whittled a few do take it for what it’s worth. Maybe wear a helmet for the next 100 arrows. I had one come apart on the draw once…didn’t get hit but it was definitely exciting.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
First, you done good for your first bow.

As previously mentioned, artificial sinew has wax in it and will stretch, it is not very good for fixing a selfbow.
I use bison back sinew, but any sinew is good for your problem.
1- Get the sinew clean, pliable, and separated into thin strands.
2- Then get it wet. I soak it in clean water but have been known to chew on it for a couple of minutes.
3- Wrap the problem area, overlapping each strand as it ends around 2 inches.
4- Let it dry
5- Seal with some form of waterproofing. I use super glue, applying it slowly in thin coats until completely saturated. There are numerous other options for waterproofing, superglue is the best I have tried.

If you need sinew check with your local butcher, they throw away lots of it every day.

Clear as mud? YouTube has lots of videos that will show you how to process and apply sinew better than my instructions.

Yes Sir! Unfortunately my lower limb has a spot that’s lifting. But I’m told I can salvage it by wrapping with sinew. I’ll have to research how to do that. But I’ll start another one soon !View attachment 308245
I had that happen once. Wrapped it with b50 and put beaver fur over it to make it look intentional. Clay Hayes has a video where he uses rawhide to patch it. Edit. Sorry didn't see you already solved it.

OP
S

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! I shot it a couple dozen times yesterday with no issues. I put tite bond 3 on the limb before wrapping with the sinew, then coated the outside with tite bond. Will seal with True oil