Selfbow hunting

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the process of building my second selfbow, hopefully that's reliable enough for hunting. Anyone here use one for hunting? I'm shooting for around 45-50 lbs. It's a white birch flatbow 68 ntn and 2.25 wide until 12 inches from tip then narrows to half inch nocks. 8 inch stiff riser section also. I may end up backing with rawhide for safety in case I do something wrong. Just wondered what u guy's are shooting?

Negative. That’s way above my petty bow skills. I’m shooting a very heavily reflexed/deflexed longbow. Even that thing is a struggle sometimes, I’m kicking around buying a more modern recurve.

Check out Clay Hayes YouTube stuff if you’re into selfbow hunting.

Beendare

WKR
I'm with NA Stickbow above.

Its hard enough to kill stuff with a stick bow I don't need to handicap myself even further.

I do admire the guys doing this...its a heck of an achievement. If you have a target rich environment and can set up for close shots....no reason why you can have success with it.

Clay has missed some shots with his primitive gear in his latest pig series of vids. He has the added disadvantage of trying to film it. No stick bow shot on game is easy...but I like my odds on those same shots with my equipment.

______

OP
M

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I built one selfbow and was really fun. Under shot the weight I was goin for badly tho. I've often wondered if buying a bow would be a better option tho. Right now I shoot a 35 lb samick sage just to get started. The reason I like traditional is because of the accomplishment but also to have less gear. If I bought a bow it would prob be a d style or reflex deflex wood 1 piece. As that just seems more traditional.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Finishing off an osage bow now. I try to make 1 or 2 a year. It is a snakey rascal so my tillering skills are at their limit but initial shooting of it is pretty positive. I've managed to kill 8 whitetails with my selfbows and sinew-backed bows but I'm honestly not very good as a bowyer - but it sure is fun!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04