Selfbows and bowfishing

JeffP_Or

WKR
perhaps my search skills fail me but if one were to build a selfbow could it be made to bowfish? I'm assuming the handle would have to be provided with a threaded insert for reel attachment or are there other methods? Any recommendations [including "Just stop thinking like that and go buy a lw cost beater bow"]?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There’s a thing that attaches like a quiver with a rubber strap. Let me see if I can find a link

Titan_Bow

WKR
We use to make bow fishing reels out of the lid of a 5 gallon bucket. I’ve also just took a scrap piece of aluminum, bent it to have “feet” that I could tape to the bow, and have a hole drilled that fits a threaded reel. Lots of ways to skin that cat really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JeffP_Or

JeffP_Or

WKR
I pretty sure Clay Hayes has covered this in one of his countless archery videos on YouTube!
Ha! I started down that rabbit hole - just never came to the bowfishing one I guess! Thanks.

@Titan_Bow - was just overthinking it apparently; figured there might be a more aesthetic option but if it works - it works! Thanks.

I just need to get going on a bow at this point and quit thinking about it. Small steps....

WoodBow

WKR
That ams adapter works awesome. I have used one a ton. I highly recommend you go with an ams reel and not a cheap one that you wrap the line around by hand. I have used both and the ams is much more expensive but far superior.

oldgoat

WKR
Ha! I started down that rabbit hole - just never came to the bowfishing one I guess! Thanks.

@Titan_Bow - was just overthinking it apparently; figured there might be a more aesthetic option but if it works - it works! Thanks.

I just need to get going on a bow at this point and quit thinking about it. Small steps....

Kdf22

Lil-Rokslider
I was trying to find my setup in regards to the Great Northern adapter so I can take a picture but can’t find it. Get a 16 to 24 ounce plastic hard bottle with a cap. Fill your bottle with expanding foam. Find a bolt that fits the threads to the GN adapter. You epoxy your bolt to the cap. Drill a hole in the cap and put the bolt thru. Once your foam/ epoxy is dry put the cap on and screw it into your GN adapter. The bottle you wind with some strong line and attach your arrow. Perfect setup and cheap for a longbow or selfbow.

It's not tough to install a bushing - you can get everything you need including the reel etc from 3 Rivers Archery.
I don't think I'd want to risk putting a hole in the back of a selfbow, and most of the time there's not enough real estate to put a hole anywhere else. If you've done it or seen it done I'll yield to your experience, but I know it would make me real nervous.