Selfbows Books and Resources

dlee56

WKR
Anyone here build and hunt with a selfbow? My interest is peaked and I wonder if there's any tried and true books or resources I can start getting familiar with?

I'm hoping to go full process tree to bow myself instead of buying staves from somewhere, any advice is appreciated.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
It is a fun hobby to be sure. You could get the Traditional Bowyers Bible - a 4 volume set. I recommend volumes 1 and 4 for what was most useful to me. You can also hit the message boards on the Primitive Archer website - a lot of information to be had there and a very helpful group of followers. Let us know how you do!

There's some great writing on homemade self bows and arrows by Saxton Pope free on kindle. He spent a lot of time analyzing different woods and native american bow designs. He was really into DIY practical sporting bows because there wasn't much, if anything available in the US for purchase back in the day. He eventually killed grizzly bears in Yellowstone with his homemade gear.

Ddog

WKR
Clay Hayes, Weylin Olive (Swiftwood Bows), and Ryan Gill (Hunt Primitive) on YouTube all have great stuff. As for books, what smoke said above. Vol 1 will get you started off well. PA is great as mentioned also, as is the Leatherwall side of Bowsite.com.

Not sure what you have in CO as far as wood selection, but I didn't build back when I lived out there. Generally osage is considered the standard, with Pacific Yew next in line. Followed by the white woods like hickory, ironwood and oak. Good luck!

Here's a couple pics of my 5th one, rawhide-backed Osage static. 50#@28", 66" long. My best so far. I waited way too long to start this hobby, love it.
fec251b405f4cd3d21cee73ac39cc54b.jpg
53e287c7655818aa938ba5bf5b41d30b.jpg
b1b59c38eaeb812290df824f8dac48a2.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone here build and hunt with a selfbow? My interest is peaked and I wonder if there's any tried and true books or resources I can start getting familiar with?

I'm hoping to go full process tree to bow myself instead of buying staves from somewhere, any advice is appreciated.
Traditional Bowyer's Bible series are the best books imo.

I have a couple bow build videos on my YouTube. This is a great first bow template to follow. Lumber is easy/cheap to get, and performance is pretty good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a little more complex one, if you're more into recurves.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Clay Hayes, Weylin Olive (Swiftwood Bows), and Ryan Gill (Hunt Primitive) on YouTube all have great stuff. As for books, what smoke said above. Vol 1 will get you started off well. PA is great as mentioned also, as is the Leatherwall side of Bowsite.com.

Not sure what you have in CO as far as wood selection, but I didn't build back when I lived out there. Generally osage is considered the standard, with Pacific Yew next in line. Followed by the white woods like hickory, ironwood and oak. Good luck!

Here's a couple pics of my 5th one, rawhide-backed Osage static. 50#@28", 66" long. My best so far. I waited way too long to start this hobby, love it.
fec251b405f4cd3d21cee73ac39cc54b.jpg
53e287c7655818aa938ba5bf5b41d30b.jpg
b1b59c38eaeb812290df824f8dac48a2.jpg
Hey Ddog, your shop looks like mine . . . but cleaner and more orderly!!