Selfbows?

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in making a selfbow, and I was wondering if anyone on here had made one and hunted with it. How hard is it? Is it expensive? Inform me on making selfbows!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Look up Clay Hayes on YouTube. He builds a lot of selfbows. The Tennessee Classic trad shoot every year has a class where you show up on Thursday, build your own bow, then shoot a scoring round with it on Sunday. Lots of guys do that every year, they have a great time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Look up Clay Hayes on YouTube. He builds a lot of selfbows. The Tennessee Classic trad shoot every year has a class where you show up on Thursday, build your own bow, then shoot a scoring round with it on Sunday. Lots of guys do that every year, they have a great time.

That's where I got my interest from. I wonder if it's cancelled due to the Rona?

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I have no woodworking skills at all. I mean none. But I make 1 to 3 selfbows or sinew-backed bows ever year - it is just darned fun! If you already have a draw knife, rasp, and a scraper, it won't cost you much at all. I've probably got $250 into equipment including a StavePress (which you don't need but is helpful). Despite my crummy skills, I've managed to kill a dozen whitetails with them.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have no woodworking skills at all. I mean none. But I make 1 to 3 selfbows or sinew-backed bows ever year - it is just darned fun! If you already have a draw knife, rasp, and a scraper, it won't cost you much at all. I've probably got $250 into equipment including a StavePress (which you don't need but is helpful). Despite my crummy skills, I've managed to kill a dozen whitetails with them.
That is awesome man! Could you post a pic of a good scraper that you use please?

Clay has a book out and also provides videos beyond what's on his YouTube channel through his Patreon page, and depending on the level of support I think he'll answer questions.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fjtoyman

FNG
58975987ea118263d0a62c0c06251115.jpg

I made my first self bow in a class with Carson Brown of Echo Archery (left in picture) I then was able to harvest this buck 1 month later in Trad Camp with my self bow. Both Carson and Clay (right) offer classes on how to build self bows. If you can get in a class, hands on instruction from one of these two will expedite your bow building experience.
Clay Hays has a lot of videos and books to help you build on if you can make it to a class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for the double post! This what i use - costs about 12 bucks. Takes a little practice to get a good edge but once you do, they work great.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's where I got my interest from. I wonder if it's cancelled due to the Rona?
The Classic is always the first weekend in May. The IBO World's for trad are held at the same place and I'm not sure on that one. Twin Oaks is a really nice club.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
58975987ea118263d0a62c0c06251115.jpg

I made my first self bow in a class with Carson Brown of Echo Archery (left in picture) I then was able to harvest this buck 1 month later in Trad Camp with my self bow. Both Carson and Clay (right) offer classes on how to build self bows. If you can get in a class, hands on instruction from one of these two will expedite your bow building experience.
Clay Hays has a lot of videos and books to help you build on if you can make it to a class.

Awsome!

slvrslngr

WKR
It’s not difficult. I did a class with Ted Fry at Raptor Archery and knocked one out in a few days. There’s lots of resources out there so do some research, acquire the tools and start making shavings. If you go with a stave, I’d start with Osage, the growth ring is easy to follow and it’s pretty forgiving of mistakes. Just remember to think ahead and go slow. It’s super fulfilling to build one and hunt it!

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not difficult. I did a class with Ted Fry at Raptor Archery and knocked one out in a few days. There’s lots of resources out there so do some research, acquire the tools and start making shavings. If you go with a stave, I’d start with Osage, the growth ring is easy to follow and it’s pretty forgiving of mistakes. Just remember to think ahead and go slow. It’s super fulfilling to build one and hunt it!
Cool!

Ddog

WKR
Currently chasing a ring on my first stave between heat waves. The Bowyer's Bible books are great resources, as is Clay's stuff. I'm bringing mine to a shoot at the end of the month to pick some brains. Don't wanna screw it up as it was a gift. You can also sign up over on primitivearcher for advice and check out all the great build-a-longs. Good luck!

Fjtoyman, I saw you on Clay's channel, you're famous, man!

Fjtoyman

FNG
Currently chasing a ring on my first stave between heat waves. The Bowyer's Bible books are great resources, as is Clay's stuff. I'm bringing mine to a shoot at the end of the month to pick some brains. Don't wanna screw it up as it was a gift. You can also sign up over on primitivearcher for advice and check out all the great build-a-longs. Good luck!

LOL. I’m just really fortunate to share a camp with really good dudes.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider

It sure has been hot, I'll check primitive archer out!